Viking VK30 users?

Only topics related to Viking metal detectors here, Please remember Off topic posts will be removed.
SteveO

Viking VK30 users?

Post by SteveO » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:12 pm

Anyone here use/ have used a Viking Vk30? seems like quite a lot of machine for the money. Anyone have any thoughts? how is vikings build quality?

Steve

Minelab X-Terra 705
C Scope 440XD
Total for 2011: £4.26

Pastseeker

Re: Viking VK30 users?

Post by Pastseeker » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:40 pm

This just a newer version but is pretty much the same hope it helps :))

[youtube]5QBwyLmxhpo[/youtube]
XP DEUS
Put the coil to the soil
Dig a hole like a mole
And hope it's old or made of gold ::g

Pastseeker

Post by Pastseeker » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:24 pm

Any Viking users happy to comment? :-/
XP DEUS
Put the coil to the soil
Dig a hole like a mole
And hope it's old or made of gold ::g

battlecircus10

Post by battlecircus10 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Well, after a long break from detecting, I decided to get a Viking V5 as it was a pretty cheap way to get back into it. The last detector I had, was a C scope TR 440 so anything "modern" was bound to be a lot better (or so I thought).

When the Viking arrived I was very impressed with the way it looked and the build quality was nothing short of excellent. It was solid yet light and a joy to use in the living room with coins hidden under the rug. Out in the garden it performed admirably and within an hour the whole area was devoid of anything that contained even a miniscule amount of aluminium.

Fosters,Stella and Carling cans were "hoovered" up with ease and I even found an old blunt scythe and a washer from the 1930's (probably).

Undeterred, I went to the beach the very next day to try out my new toy.

Within 2 minutes of serious sand sweeping I had an amazing signal. I dug down and deposited the pile of sand next to me. Periodically, I tested the signal and lo and behold it was still there in the ever increasingly deep hole.

After 5 minutes of furious, excited, frenzied digging, I struck gold - or rather - pipe.

Never mind, I thought and carried on. During the next two hours I had found a coke can, another piece of pipe, a few fishing weights with end tackle, uncountable bottle tops and eventually I did find a one pence piece.

Strangely, just under the penny was another can. Lucky or what? Two for the price of one!!!

After burning off 15,000 calories, I decided it was time to call it a day and headed for home.

After a few days rest (in the local hospital) I ventured out again. This time I went to a nearby site which had been known in the past to throw up a few pre - WW2 artifacts. Namely, a couple of George VI pennies and some tobacco tins.

Armed with this knowledge, I took to the job with complete, renewed enthusiasm and spent the next 3 hours unearthing some real gems.

I acquired around 50 rusty nails, nuts, bolts, washers and at the end of the day had the piece-de-resistance... an aged smashed up bottle complete with the top still attached. What luck!

I would wholeheartedly recommend one of these detectors to anyone.........

anyone who wanted to get fit that is.
C Scope CS990XD with 8" solid coil - the best ones.
Minelab Explorer XS
Whites M6
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Garrett Ace 150 x2
Whites Classic 3
XP Deus
Viking V5

PaulR

Post by PaulR » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:01 am

Picked my lad up a Viking 20 from trash converters for £20, its not the best machine out there but it does like shallow coins. He has had plenty of coins with it he even had a cracking gold locket but like said its not very deep.
Really dont know why Viking have not moved with the times and bought out a decent machine :-/

sanner65

Post by sanner65 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:13 pm

battlecircus10 wrote:Well, after a long break from detecting, I decided to get a Viking V5 as it was a pretty cheap way to get back into it. The last detector I had, was a C scope TR 440 so anything "modern" was bound to be a lot better (or so I thought).

When the Viking arrived I was very impressed with the way it looked and the build quality was nothing short of excellent. It was solid yet light and a joy to use in the living room with coins hidden under the rug. Out in the garden it performed admirably and within an hour the whole area was devoid of anything that contained even a miniscule amount of aluminium.

Fosters,Stella and Carling cans were "hoovered" up with ease and I even found an old blunt scythe and a washer from the 1930's (probably).

Undeterred, I went to the beach the very next day to try out my new toy.

Within 2 minutes of serious sand sweeping I had an amazing signal. I dug down and deposited the pile of sand next to me. Periodically, I tested the signal and lo and behold it was still there in the ever increasingly deep hole.

After 5 minutes of furious, excited, frenzied digging, I struck gold - or rather - pipe.

Never mind, I thought and carried on. During the next two hours I had found a coke can, another piece of pipe, a few fishing weights with end tackle, uncountable bottle tops and eventually I did find a one pence piece.

Strangely, just under the penny was another can. Lucky or what? Two for the price of one!!!

After burning off 15,000 calories, I decided it was time to call it a day and headed for home.

After a few days rest (in the local hospital) I ventured out again. This time I went to a nearby site which had been known in the past to throw up a few pre - WW2 artifacts. Namely, a couple of George VI pennies and some tobacco tins.

Armed with this knowledge, I took to the job with complete, renewed enthusiasm and spent the next 3 hours unearthing some real gems.

I acquired around 50 rusty nails, nuts, bolts, washers and at the end of the day had the piece-de-resistance... an aged smashed up bottle complete with the top still attached. What luck!

I would wholeheartedly recommend one of these detectors to anyone.........

anyone who wanted to get fit that is.
that is proper funny had me in stiches

battlecircus10

Post by battlecircus10 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:12 pm

Maybe I was being a bit harsh on the V5. It was a perfectly true story but the real reason I dug so much junk with the V5 was because it has no discrimination and I really didn't know what I was doing at the time.

I have since tried a Viking V6 and I have to say, it is as good as any non-motion detector on the market. Its really a matter of getting used to this style of detecting though.

There is a guy on Youtube called Peacehavens who has had much success with his and swears that you don't really need to buy a top end detector to get good results. I did argue the point a bit with him as he also has a XP Deus. I questioned his opinion as I felt at that time that technology is meant to be utilised if it is available.

Since then though, I feel I have come to my senses a little (what senses you ask?) My opinion is that basically any machine capable of detecting 6 inches down will produce good results if you know how to use it and if you have a decent site.

I am still unsure about the VK20 though as I haven't used one. I have used a Viking VK10 - briefly - and I have to say it was intolerably bad. It may have been a duff one but on sweeping it, the signal was very delayed and seemed to only detect an object from different parts of the coil - and not the usual parts either.

As I say, it might have been a bad one or needed calibrating/servicing but it was absolutely awful to use and impossible to like.

The best detector I have had withoubt a doubt, is this old CS990XD I have got. This has produced loads of old (and new) coins and now that I am completely used to it I can't get out of the habit of using it. The Viking V6 was very similar to use though apart from having no audio discrimination, just a single beep. But it was enjoyable to use, for me.

It may be just a case of it being the best one for me, for my particular sites? I know that I like it and it is the one for me. My detector soul mate so to speak.

The VK30 seems to be interesting, at least on paper. It has a motion and non-motion mode with target i.d. etc. It might be worth a go but there doesn't seem to be many or indeed ANY going used. That can only mean that they are either absolutely brilliant as no-one wants to get shot of them or they never get bought in the first place as they are really bad - I wonder?

I have yet to see anyone on this site say anything - good or bad - about them. Has anyone ever had one???
C Scope CS990XD with 8" solid coil - the best ones.
Minelab Explorer XS
Whites M6
Minelab Sovereign Elite
Garrett Ace 150 x2
Whites Classic 3
XP Deus
Viking V5

silversurfer

Post by silversurfer » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Picked up a viking v10 for reasonably money as a spare to my tesoro silver sabre and to take the lad out on the beach - seems fine to me if its there it'll find it. Cant coment on depth rarely dig more than a spades spit. build quality good dont feel underpowered when it comes to performance - still a newbie so dig every signal regardless - hate to miss that Saxon sword!!

richbiss

Post by richbiss » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:32 am

I had an vk30 when I first started about 8 years ago
and it was ok never had any problems with it. Found
a Mary groat and some roman on ploughed fields. Served
me well really was a good intro model but you can get
better for your money nowadays!
Rich
Check my YouTube Metal Detecting Channel out...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikzXn ... ALNTLuqB2A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HM Murdoch

Post by HM Murdoch » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:47 pm

My wife bought me a Viking VK20 back in September and that's the reason I'm on this forum and taking part in this hobby!

I've had no problems at all with it. It's undeniably a basic "entry level" model but, like all models, once you get a feel for what it is telling you, the finds come up.

I've had all sorts with it - coins, weights, buckles, thimbles, bag seals, buttons... all the classics! So, although you can never know what you miss, it hasn't felt like there's loads getting away.

Interesting comments about depth though. Now I think of it, most of my finds have been within 6 inches or so... although whether that's deeper things being missed or just not being there, I can't say!

CarlH

Post by CarlH » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi
I have just joined the forum because I am thinking of buying a Viking 30. They do not seem to be popular models, is it worth the jump to buy the 40? I think I will stick to this brand as they are only a few miles from where I live.
Any advice would be great, thanks.

Return to “Viking Forum”