VK30 issues. HELP!!!

Only topics related to Viking metal detectors here, Please remember Off topic posts will be removed.
Porshiepoo

VK30 issues. HELP!!!

Post by Porshiepoo » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:02 pm

I hope someone can help with this. My husband got a Viking 30 for Xmas to replace his old cscope. He hasn't actually been out with it yet but has tested it around the garden and he's having a couple of issues with it.
Firstly when he sweeps the machine over a coin it beeps when it covers the coin but only on the right to left sweep, he gets nothing as he passes back from left to right.
Also when he uses the pinpointed it doesn't make any noise over the top of the coin but starts to signal it about a foot away - this apparently resulted in a ridiculous size "crater" being dug out before he gave up.
He also says it makes random beeps if he lifts it off the ground.
He's getting really cheesed off with the machine now and as amusing as a tantrum is from a grown man I do feel sorry for him as he's looked forward to getting this.
Can anyone shed any light on this for us?

newseeker

Re: VK30 issues. HELP!!!

Post by newseeker » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:05 am

Try in on a good old 1970s 2p piece as a number of lower value modern coins are clad iron so might give a spurious signal.if still having problems i would send it back
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab x-terra 705,CscopeR1

dexters shed

Post by dexters shed » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:08 am

you didn't say what settings he had set up on it?
was he using it correctly, us blokes are bugga's for reading instructions, I've just had a quick read of the manual online and I'm wondering if he had the discrim wound up too much,

muddy fingers

Post by muddy fingers » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:02 am

Perhaps best to test it "in air" inside the house first of all. Make sure you have the coil away from anything that emits electrical interference such as a switched on television. Beforehand take a look at a couple of the numerous videos available online that demonstrate how this is usually carried out and then try sweeping a pound coin across the coil. That should give you a good idea of the machine's capabilities. Garden's are notoriously difficult places to test detectors as they are full of an amazing amount of iron junk under the grass.

satellite750uk

Post by satellite750uk » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:46 am

I would speak to Viking and explain the problem.

Telephone 01254-55887.

Hope you get it sorted.

Les.

norfolksquit

Post by norfolksquit » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:54 am

I do feel for you, I bought a VK10+ to try, had same experience, I have to be careful what I say, but would never buy another. Can you compare it to your old cscope?

If it does not work then you should be able to return it for a refund.
Currently Using: Golden Mask UK Edition 10 x 12 Coil

Porshiepoo

Post by Porshiepoo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:15 am

Thank you for all the responses, I will pass them on to hubby. He has tried running it over a coin in the house as well as outside and he's getting the same response from it.
I think the thing that is bugging him the most is that it only detects on the right to left sweep and not left to right.
I think he thought he'd find it as easy as his cscope lol and he's not the most patient of people. He's read the instructions and as far as he's concerned it should all make sense lol, so obviously being a man =P~ He has concluded that the machine is at fault lmao.
Unfortunately he is the least technical minded person I know so can't access the Internet himself (he doesn't even know how to switch a computer on and still uses the original Motorola brick phones lol).
Does anyone know of any decent videos worth watching? The ones I found were all in a foreign language.

norfolksquit

Post by norfolksquit » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:28 am

Porshiepoo wrote:Thank you for all the responses, I will pass them on to hubby. He has tried running it over a coin in the house as well as outside and he's getting the same response from it.
I think the thing that is bugging him the most is that it only detects on the right to left sweep and not left to right.
I think he thought he'd find it as easy as his cscope lol and he's not the most patient of people. He's read the instructions and as far as he's concerned it should all make sense lol, so obviously being a man =P~ He has concluded that the machine is at fault lmao.
Unfortunately he is the least technical minded person I know so can't access the Internet himself (he doesn't even know how to switch a computer on and still uses the original Motorola brick phones lol).
Does anyone know of any decent videos worth watching? The ones I found were all in a foreign language.
There are not many Viking videos out there, did he buy it online, if you you get a cooling off period if change your mind, hope you get sorted.
Currently Using: Golden Mask UK Edition 10 x 12 Coil

muddy fingers

Post by muddy fingers » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:53 pm

Are you sure your husband isn't using a modern decimal coin for his tests, the majority of them are made of steel inside the outer coating. Lay the detector on a table with the coil hanging over the edge and then sweep an old pre-decimal penny or pound coin across the coil. Make sure the cable is securely taped to the stem of the detector and that the stem connections are tight. If your husband hasn't read the manual then maybe he has got it set at "beach" which won't help matters.

http://www.metaldetectors.co.uk/downloa ... report.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The video is of the Viking 40 but should give you an idea of what to expect from your Viking 30.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Viking Forum”