XP Pinpointer MI-6

Only for the discussion of the XP MI-6 Pinpointer
User avatar
liamnolan
Moderator
Posts: 9886
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland
Has thanked: 344 times
Been thanked: 324 times
Contact:

MI6 Pinpointer

Post by liamnolan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:23 am

Shawshank wrote:If it has a 5 year warranty as suggested then after my experience with Garrett, which was excellent while it was working I hasten to add but then it broke just out of warranty, I think that despite the higher cost it is an absolute bargain and a complete no-brainer.

The only issue i have with it from the pics is it looks too nice to stick in the soil, oh and I'd still like some form of lanyard :D

If the warranty is as good as this XP are on to a complete winner here ::g
I chatted with Alain re the pointer and also how it is "connected" to the control unit. He asked me to take the pointer 15m away, then pressed his controller and the pointer started bleeping loudly.
So if you drop the pointer and then return to the area, then at least you have a better chance of finding it. The whole XP range is now looking like its way ahead of the competition and good luck to them as they are producing very clever equipment that really does the job. I am not a "pointer man"
myself as I like to do without one but I have the Garrett in the bag just in case. I see many people reach for the pointer as soon as they get a signal and actually dig down .... the result is a completely worn away shell. The spade is for digging, not the pointer.
As far as Pointers go, I suppose this XP model is the Ferrari of the bunch but the price will deter some people. Good luck to those buying one and I look forward to reading the reports. XP seem to have this bit of equipment nailed .. Liam OooO


Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

targets
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:32 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: NEW - XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by targets » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:09 pm

mrix wrote:
Anyone know how much they will cost.
As far as I am aware there is no price available at the moment.
mrix

i saw $250 mentioned on another forum but dont knoe if thats accurate or speculation
' hammys how i love ya, how i love ya my dear old hammys '

User avatar
oldartefact
Posts: 6911
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Gods own county - numero uno!
Has thanked: 939 times
Been thanked: 770 times

Re: NEW - XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by oldartefact » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:21 pm

targets wrote:
mrix wrote:
Anyone know how much they will cost.
As far as I am aware there is no price available at the moment.
mrix

i saw $250 mentioned on another forum but dont knoe if thats accurate or speculation
So with exchange rates being sent into melt down ... we all know why... thats gonna make for an expensive piece of kit, lets hope it comes with a 5 year warranty to ease the pain!
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

User avatar
Steve_T
Posts: 1476
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:54 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Has thanked: 389 times
Been thanked: 733 times

Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by Steve_T » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:54 pm

If you get the pinpointer you will have to upgrade the Deus Software to V4.0 to tweak the pointer to get full use through the headphones etc., one good thing is the 5 year warranty I guess, that may swing it (pardon the pun)

A choice to make :-/ either get the pointer and use it as is, or upgrade to the version 4.0

as stated on the XP site....

Q: Will I have to move my DEUS to V4.0?

A: It is your choice, you can stay in version 2.0 or 3.2 if you want, but the Version 4.0 will be necessary to connect and run the new HF optional coil and Pinpointer.

Q : Can I use the XP MI-6 Pinpointer even if don’t own a DEUS?

A: Yes of course, the MI-6 can work alone like a traditional Pinpointer thanks to its speaker, vibrator, LED, 6 programs, 3 sensitivity levels, 2 audio modes.

Q: How do I make the Pinpointer communicate wirelessly with the DEUS ?

A: This is a simple process – Choose program number 7 on the Pinpointer, the speaker will then be disabled and the sound will be send automatically to the DEUS Remote or headphones. Also the pin pointer has a dedicated menu which appears instantaneously on the Deus remote display when it is in operation.
The operator can make a full range of adjustments to the pin pointers sound and operation from the Deus remote.

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

sanjuro
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:24 am
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 37 times

MI6 Pinpointer

Post by sanjuro » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:33 pm

I was hoping it would give you the same signal sound that the Deus gives and also that it would use the same level of discrimination that you had set on the Deus like the SunRay probes do, its main selling point is been able to hear it without taking your headphones off i dont think that is worth £150 (if thats the rrp) just for that feature.

User avatar
oldartefact
Posts: 6911
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am
Location: Gods own county - numero uno!
Has thanked: 939 times
Been thanked: 770 times

Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by oldartefact » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:03 pm

Steve_T wrote:If you get the pinpointer you will have to upgrade the Deus Software to V4.0 to tweak the pointer to get full use through the headphones etc., one good thing is the 5 year warranty I guess, that may swing it (pardon the pun)

A choice to make :-/ either get the pointer and use it as is, or upgrade to the version 4.0

as stated on the XP site....

Q: Will I have to move my DEUS to V4.0?

A: It is your choice, you can stay in version 2.0 or 3.2 if you want, but the Version 4.0 will be necessary to connect and run the new HF optional coil and Pinpointer.

Q : Can I use the XP MI-6 Pinpointer even if don’t own a DEUS?

A: Yes of course, the MI-6 can work alone like a traditional Pinpointer thanks to its speaker, vibrator, LED, 6 programs, 3 sensitivity levels, 2 audio modes.

Q: How do I make the Pinpointer communicate wirelessly with the DEUS ?

A: This is a simple process – Choose program number 7 on the Pinpointer, the speaker will then be disabled and the sound will be send automatically to the DEUS Remote or headphones. Also the pin pointer has a dedicated menu which appears instantaneously on the Deus remote display when it is in operation.
The operator can make a full range of adjustments to the pin pointers sound and operation from the Deus remote.

Regards Steve
thanks Steve, though what do you mean by " Choose program number 7 on the Pinpointer" how many programs does it have? and why??
Plus upgrading to v4.0 ... how difficult is that?
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

User avatar
Steve_T
Posts: 1476
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:54 pm
Location: Wiltshire
Has thanked: 389 times
Been thanked: 733 times

Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by Steve_T » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:14 pm

oldartefact wrote:
Steve_T wrote:
thanks Steve, though what do you mean by " Choose program number 7 on the Pinpointer" how many programs does it have? and why??
Plus upgrading to v4.0 ... how difficult is that?
Link below takes you to Deus site, that's where I got the A's & Q's not sure about Prog number 7. but suspect version 4.0 will load it? not sure if extra slot will be provided for personal progs or "7" will take the space of one, leaving one less slot for personal or tweaked programs people put in like Hot, Cold etc. etc

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-de ... -and-news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

Copperballs1
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:11 pm
Location: Chorley
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by Copperballs1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:24 am

If Carlsberg did pin pointers...... :D

Nigel at regtons
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by Nigel at regtons » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:32 pm

RRP is likely to be £175, the $250 looks right as they don't have VAT included, expected selling price around £160/165 ?

I was mildly impressed until I saw it's expert mode which is unlockable from remote control.

The 'find my probe' feature (don't Google that :) ) can be used 2 months after losing the probe, it's a clever chappie that probe with a few features still not unlocked, they will become available in due course, as with anything XP they look to the future rather than just today.

User avatar
Dave8472
Moderator
Posts: 10719
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm
Location: Kent
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by Dave8472 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:36 pm

The probe does look interesting, would need to compare the sensitivity range against my Carrot first to make a judgement call on if to get one or not. And ageee XP have been listening to their customers unlike another well known manufacturer that has lost its way in Europe lol.

Dave &*(
Image

MetalGuru
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Re: NEW - XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by MetalGuru » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Shawshank wrote:More expensive than I was hoping.

Does it have a lanyard or at least somewhere to fit one do you know?

Looks like a lovely bit of kit though and the ability to hear it through the headphones is the USP that will mean these sell in huge amounts I'm sure.

I had a really bad experience with my Garrett pinpointer breaking just out of warranty. I'm currently using a Deteknix Xpointer which I'm impressed with and has so far been faultless and much cheaper. But a wireless XP version.....

It will be mine....oh yes...It will be mine.... :D
On the one I saw at the XP rally there was a lanyard fitted.

MetalGuru
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Re: XP Pinpointer

Post by MetalGuru » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Steve_T wrote:Is it switchable off / on from the remote? cant see any info on that.
A possible only weak point I can foresee on the probe, over time the switch or rubber cover to it may give up, 5 year warranty good for that I suppose.

would be useful when pinpointing with the machine, after third or successive press of pinpointer button on remote the probe switches on, when detecting again press return button on remote and probe switches off. Looks like it is only programmable with a remote so may be Deus Lite users might have to purchase a remote to get full benefit of tweaking the probe?
Perhaps their will be more info after this weekend, but will be keen to get one any way, first impressions seem good, time will tell I guess

Regards Steve
It is usable with any make of detector apparently, but you may not get all the features.

Nigel at regtons
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by Nigel at regtons » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:18 pm

It's exactly the same depth as AT Probe when on sens 3 however the remote will unlock a 'super depth' mode.

Shawshank
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by Shawshank » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:44 pm

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the price will be better than the £175 mark

I'm glad there seems to be a lanyard option though. Being able to locate it is great but I'd rather not wander off from it in the first place especially at that price.

A five year warranty and wireless conductivity would make me happy to part with £150 (Or less :) )
but after that it does get a bit eye wateringly expensive.

I have a feeling that at that price they will sell every one they can make..

Dammit I'll still be getting one though :D
Ace 250
T2
Deus

User avatar
mrix
Founder
Posts: 8538
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:59 am
Location: UK South Coast
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 317 times
Contact:

Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by mrix » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:14 pm

First impressions is that it does look a very well built and cosmetically a nice piece of kit, having all the added features for the Deus I am sure its going to be very popular B-)
Hopefully its reliabillity / durabillity will match ::g
Cheers
mrix

Filternozzle
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:08 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by Filternozzle » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:44 pm

Anyone the wiser to when it will be available to purchase?
Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

Ada
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:37 am
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by Ada » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:16 pm

Looks like £200 all day long to me. Unless it appeals to detectorists other than Deus owners and higher volume sales make it cheaper.

Time will tell.
( I hate myself for wanting one)
If you cant make it beep.... you cant dig it.

Filternozzle
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:08 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: XP MI-6 Pinpointer

Post by Filternozzle » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Both my pinpointers (by very well known manufacturers) are now pretty useless and although I do not own a Deus, I'll think I'll wait and see what this new XP pinpointer is like before purchasing another. I do not care what it looks like, only interested in how it performs and how long it will work without any problems, a five year guarantee sounds good to me.
Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

Womble Jon
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:16 pm
Location: Devon
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: XP Pinpointer MI-6

Post by Womble Jon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Hello all I was out for a couple of hours today trying out V4 & MI-6 pinpointer that i was lucky enough to win at a rally last year... ::g

I thought V4 on GM2 was as good as ever comparing it to my mate on 3.2 signals seemed to be a little stronger, on flicking it over to deep setting on same signals not as good but need more time to say.... :D

The MI-6 pinpointer is very sensitive compared to the garret carrot & finding targets is a lot easier with the sound through your headset I turned off vibration & light I found I didn't need them.
It's better with no interference with the coil [:)
Down sides are you have to turn the pointer off to use the coil & I have a habit of digging clod checking hole with pointer & if no signal wave coil again to find I've left pointer on & coil is OFF B| but that's something I'll get used to.
The holster is a bit rubbish It Keeps coming off my pouch belt & the top closes up so it takes two hands to put it away :-L but it will fit the garret holster.. ::g
Remember You're a Womble.... [:)

cyprio42
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:29 pm
Location: Lincs
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: XP Pinpointer MI-6

Post by cyprio42 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Womble Jon wrote:Hello all I was out for a couple of hours today trying out V4 & MI-6 pinpointer that i was lucky enough to win at a rally last year... ::g

I thought V4 on GM2 was as good as ever comparing it to my mate on 3.2 signals seemed to be a little stronger, on flicking it over to deep setting on same signals not as good but need more time to say.... :D

The MI-6 pinpointer is very sensitive compared to the garret carrot & finding targets is a lot easier with the sound through your headset I turned off vibration & light I found I didn't need them.
It's better with no interference with the coil [:)
Down sides are you have to turn the pointer off to use the coil & I have a habit of digging clod checking hole with pointer & if no signal wave coil again to find I've left pointer on & coil is OFF B| but that's something I'll get used to.
The holster is a bit rubbish It Keeps coming off my pouch belt & the top closes up so it takes two hands to put it away :-L but it will fit the garret holster.. ::g
Hi
is their much lag when you turn the pointer off and the coil becoming active again
Minelab CTX 3030
XP Deus
Grey Ghost Headphones
Garrett Pro Pointer
Bible

Womble Jon
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:16 pm
Location: Devon
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: XP Pinpointer MI-6

Post by Womble Jon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:17 am

No lag at all.. ::g
Remember You're a Womble.... [:)

Post Reply

Return to “XP MI-6 & MI4 Pinpointer Forum”