New XP Pointer...

Only for the discussion of the XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Bargeman

New XP Pointer...

Post by Bargeman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:36 pm

Had a play with the new XP pointer today, wow, what an impressive bit of kit, still way too much money for me to warrant getting one, but it is a lot of kit for the money, and the tones are crazy, in a good way.

I think we will see a few of these out in the fields this summer, not sure you will hear them though ::g

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Oxgirl36

Re: New XP Pointer...

Post by Oxgirl36 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Looks really good but will need to wait till the propointer dies first I'm afraid :E
XP Deus
9 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and, at last, 1 in 2018 :D

roamingrob

Post by roamingrob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:33 pm

Yep me also. I had a play at Regton this week as said a lot if cash but a lot will go for one along with the new v4.
XP Deus, 11" Coil & SW5 headphones
Garrett Ace 250
XP MI6 pin pointer
Hybrid Spade
" SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND"
FB page https://www.facebook.com/Roamingrob-Hig ... 069738277/

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:40 am

I also had a good look when at the XP Rally, expensive I agree but when you really want the best available piece of kit for the hobby that raises the heartbeat, then I think they will sell. Go for a good meal for two in a top restaurant, throw in a good wine and you will end up next morning with a hangover and a £150 dent in the bank balance.
Its all down to what you value, simple as that. It was the same when the Deus came out, look back on the old topics. Top end products appeal to those who want the very best possible. In my world, things don't need to make sense.
Liam OooO
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Bully1970

Post by Bully1970 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:24 am

Need a control box first, but when I need a new pointer (fairly soon) I'll likely get one of these.

Liam I think on the same lines as you, don't go for your "mates curry night" for a month or whatever and use the money for something else. Whilst I am all up for not spending more than you have...look at the mess we are still in from that...sometimes you need to just say "sod it, I getting it!" :D

Jungle

Post by Jungle » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:29 pm

One day...... And that day could be today!
DEUS 9" Elliptical, 9", 11" and 13" coils, MI-6, Propointer, WS4 x 2, 2nd shaft (Upgrade path:- F75+Sunray, X-terra-50)

Jungle

Post by Jungle » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:10 am

Its arrived! Needed a little bit of a charge to get it fully topped up. Cap to get to charging point was on pretty tight, pairing up with controller was easy, I had headphones switched when paring which propagated new device to headphone module. Sensitivity is way better than anything I've used before. I can see benefit of switching programs to decrease sensitivity and "zoom" in smaller finds but testing in field will determine how practical this is.

Quality bit of kit which is going out tomorrow for field test.

If only it was discriminating which would help on iron infested sites.
DEUS 9" Elliptical, 9", 11" and 13" coils, MI-6, Propointer, WS4 x 2, 2nd shaft (Upgrade path:- F75+Sunray, X-terra-50)

antiphonus

Post by antiphonus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Mine was delivered today, but I'm travelling for work! I can't wait. I'm sure it's just my imagination, but it seems like I've had even more interference with the Pro-Pointer AT since upgrading to v4. It will be nice to have something that plays nicely (and silently) with the Deus.
AT Pro International
Garrett ProPointer
Evo Pro-Cut Spade (in Midnight Blue ::g )

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Being wireless into your headphones is a great idea. When out on a rally you are bombarded by the pointers all bleeping away, though for many its just an instinctive reach for the pointer even if the find is already out and probably visible. I use mine sparingly for tiny little buggers or for the walls of a hole, Liam ::g
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:43 pm

For the money it should be able to discriminate and give you the same tones as your Deus does Sunray probes have had this feature for years, the best feature i think is the lost probe one.

Spiker1968

Post by Spiker1968 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:01 pm

The Ferret wrote:I read a vaild point... what is the delay time between switching on and off as the pin pointer will overide the coil but when you have dug a hole and checked with pin pointer sometimes you have to rescan the hole with the coil but now you cant as the pin pointer is on :-/ Could be an issue for some :-/
TF
As soon as the pinpointed turns off the coil comes back on and the same when you turn the pinpointed on.
Won't get out and test it in the field until the weekend but very impressed with it so far.
::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:36 am

For anybody considering should I buy it or not there is a 2 page review in this months Searcher magazine which might help you decide.

Also a review of the Deus V4 upgrade.

As I do not have a Deus I did not actually read either so sorry can tell you if they are positive or negative and save you buying the magazine.

Evan

Jungle

Post by Jungle » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Jungle wrote:Its arrived! Needed a little bit of a charge to get it fully topped up. Cap to get to charging point was on pretty tight, pairing up with controller was easy, I had headphones switched when paring which propagated new device to headphone module. Sensitivity is way better than anything I've used before. I can see benefit of switching programs to decrease sensitivity and "zoom" in smaller finds but testing in field will determine how practical this is.

Quality bit of kit which is going out tomorrow for field test.

If only it was discriminating which would help on iron infested sites.
Worked well and much better sensitivity (therefore quicker recovery) than the other brand I was using. I've turned off light and vibration and was using 40 sensitivity on a noisy site using the reset to zoom in on deeper targets rather than switch programs or reduce sensitivity or to ground balance.

The coil comes back almost instantly after pp is turned off so I would hope the calibration from the original start up is retained.

I needed to revert to coil and search hole twice in 8 hours yesterday and 87 targets dug.
Very happy and don't need to carry around spare 9V anymore.

Spiker1968

Post by Spiker1968 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Had a proper test in the field of the Mi6 today and I must say I am very impressed with it. Not having to remove my headphones because of chatter or not hearing the pinpointer properly is a revelation for me. Didn't false once and when you ramp the sens up to say 45 it goes very deep but stays stable, (in my soil anyway). Even tried out the lost pinpointer mode which worked really well, just select it on the remote and when you get within about 15 yards of the pinpointer it starts bleeping. It would still take a while to find it if you had no idea where you lost it and was in long grass but at least it only bleeps for you. It is expensive (£160 if you look about), is it worth it? if you have £160 HELL YES.
::g ::g

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:02 pm

I was going to wait but I've decided not to go clothes shopping this month ]l and ordered one today. i can't bear the interference from the Garrett anymore. Arriving Tuesday, can't wait!!
XP Deus

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:I was going to wait but I've decided not to go clothes shopping this month ]l and ordered one today. i can't bear the interference from the Garrett anymore. Arriving Tuesday, can't wait!!
LOL Cath, you'll just have to put up with the designer wardrobe you already have :D
After all.... it's only a month :))

We're looking forward to testing the new MI-6 next weekend along with another trial of the new HF coil.

:-*
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
https://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

king of the swingers

Post by king of the swingers » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:22 pm

i always wonder about the price of these things . i also want one but i was wondering today if u could use a high quality stud detector to do same job as it would be better made and cheaper. I currently use a garrett pinpointer and like you guys will probally own the xp one . Just wondering if any one out there has tried it

Stillburning

Post by Stillburning » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Mine arrived yesterday and had a great day out with it today.

First thoughts on receiving it is why is there a lanyard supplied as there does not seem to be a way of attaching it?

Pairing with the Deus remote was very easy as was navigating the menu once paired. After a bit of experimenting I dropped the tone down to 600 and used pulse rather than pitch as that was the easiest on my ears. I also changed the sensitivity to 40, after doing this the first time though I forgot to press to save so the next time I turned it on it reset to factory default settings but very quick to change again and save.

I was using it in freshly planted land and winkling out small silver down to cut quarters/farthings so checking every squeak from the Deus. the MI-6 was better than the Garrett pro pointer and Detecnix Xpointer that I had previously used. The Garrett was just too temperamental and the Xpointer whilst better than the Garrett always defaults to least sensitive when turned off and to get to maximum sensitivity (still less than the MI-6 on 40) you had to hold one button down and push the other 4 times.

In practical terms it meant that as soon as I heard a faint squeak with the Deus I turned on the pinpointer scanned the area and most of the time it found the target straight away - with the Xpointer I would have to scrape away the top layer with my boot before adjusting the sensitivity and scanning.

I am reasonably good at pin pointing with the coil anyway and using the MI-6 made it very fast to find the target and with minimum soil disturbance which is a big factor on newly planted ground especially once the pre-emergent herbicide has been sprayed.

Very nice not to have any inteferance with the coil when in use, there is also no noticeable delay when swapping between the coil and remote and in any case the sensitivity meant I rarely needed to rescan the area with the coil anyway.

The only small criticism is that ergonomically whenever I took it out for use (with my left hand) without looking it seemed most comfortable with the on off switch on the left hand side so had to turn it to use my thumb on the switch, but no doubt I will get used to this.

Overall I'm very pleased with it ::g
I'm still burning you'll never put the spark out in my soul

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Oh dear. It appears I am very much swimming against the tide when I remain a sceptic about new equipment...no matter how well it is reviewed.

Like many people detecting since Back In The Day I have seen Must Have this and that being reviewed in various magazines and then later on forums and sites. And for some people they added something...but they also tended to be the people who would find stuff whatever they used. They had good permissions, they took care to know their equipment inside out (which can only come with practice, not simply by buying yet another coil/whatever) and had excellent detecting technique in terms of patience and concentration.
For many people it won't put much extra in their finds pouch IMO.
Its so easy to fall for sales hype and sometimes a good portion of the hype may be justified...but reviews in detecting magazines are not really ever totally (or even partly) objective and unbiased. Loads of people read a review and think this is the Golden Ticket and there is a stampede for it...then a few months later its something else. ;) Blisstool springs to mind.

I am sure its a nice pinpointer. If its there in the ground to begin with and if you've already put your coil over it then I suppose it will help locate it in the hole. But for me its not an expense I feel justified. Good luck to those who want o spend money on the hobby to give themselves what they feel is and edge. But I stick with my GMP and standard set-up. Bomb proof wired old skool headphones and spade. I have applied a great deal of time to learning my machine backwards and inside out. I have done so with every (second hand) machine I have ever owned. For me the machines and kit have to earn their corn. I expect to get a premium on my investment, Find money, not spend it IYSWIM. :D
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

liamnolan

Post by liamnolan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:15 am

Great post, affirms the need to know your machine well and get attuned to what it is telling you. The machines never lie, its us who don't understand the messages. I do have the Garrett pointer but rarely use it, usually left at home or in the car, though it would be useful now and then for sticky clay soils or in amongst the cabbage stubble or similar. Whats IYSWIM? Liam OooO

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:58 am

If you see what I mean. ;)
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:47 pm

I rarely use a pinpointer since having the Deus, I find easy to grab a handful and move it over the coil, rarely it's left in the side of the hole where pinpointing is needed or in pasture where the grass roots tie it all together I tend to use a pointer but splitting it with a trowel there's the danger of hitting the object, if the XP pointer is better at accurately locating it then maybe a good choice, but only for that reason. Not rushing to buy one for the sake of having one

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:09 pm

Stillburning wrote:Mine arrived yesterday and had a great day out with it today.

First thoughts on receiving it is why is there a lanyard supplied as there does not seem to be a way of attaching it?

Pairing with the Deus remote was very easy as was navigating the menu once paired. After a bit of experimenting I dropped the tone down to 600 and used pulse rather than pitch as that was the easiest on my ears. I also changed the sensitivity to 40, after doing this the first time though I forgot to press to save so the next time I turned it on it reset to factory default settings but very quick to change again and save.

I was using it in freshly planted land and winkling out small silver down to cut quarters/farthings so checking every squeak from the Deus. the MI-6 was better than the Garrett pro pointer and Detecnix Xpointer that I had previously used. The Garrett was just too temperamental and the Xpointer whilst better than the Garrett always defaults to least sensitive when turned off and to get to maximum sensitivity (still less than the MI-6 on 40) you had to hold one button down and push the other 4 times.

In practical terms it meant that as soon as I heard a faint squeak with the Deus I turned on the pinpointer scanned the area and most of the time it found the target straight away - with the Xpointer I would have to scrape away the top layer with my boot before adjusting the sensitivity and scanning.

I am reasonably good at pin pointing with the coil anyway and using the MI-6 made it very fast to find the target and with minimum soil disturbance which is a big factor on newly planted ground especially once the pre-emergent herbicide has been sprayed.

Very nice not to have any inteferance with the coil when in use, there is also no noticeable delay when swapping between the coil and remote and in any case the sensitivity meant I rarely needed to rescan the area with the coil anyway.

The only small criticism is that ergonomically whenever I took it out for use (with my left hand) without looking it seemed most comfortable with the on off switch on the left hand side so had to turn it to use my thumb on the switch, but no doubt I will get used to this.

Overall I'm very pleased with it ::g
Thought there was no lanyard connection point first of all too. But it's on the cap rim - a hole built in that you attach the lanyard to. Ruins your finger nails though LOL! I've paired mine but not got out in the field with it yet - can"t wait!

Thanks for the great write up. You didn't mention the holder which I'm very impressed with. was worried it would be another thing to weigh my belt down with but love the fact the clip can attach anywhere. I've found a brilliant space on my finds pouch. Be gutted if I loose it though so hope you can get replacements if I ever was unfortunate enough to loose it.
XP Deus

Stillburning

Post by Stillburning » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks for the great write up
Thanks Oxgirl, glad somebody liked it :))

Thanks for the explanation on the lanyard.

I've given up trying to us holster type holders as on my ground when it is wet everything gets so coated in sticky clay what starts off as a snug fit soon becomes impossible to get in. I use a market traders type leather apron with seperate pouches for pinpointer/digging tool/scrap that fits everything comfortably and is easy to empty out once dry (or scrape out if still wet!).

The holder supplied will be kept safe so if you ever need a replacement let me know ::g
I rarely use a pinpointer since having the Deus, I find easy to grab a handful and move it over the coil
The problem again with the soil I dig in is if you grab a handful you have a sticky ball of clay, and when you try to put down the part of the sticky ball the target is not in most of that sticks to your hands/gloves, and by the time you are down to a finger nail size piece you still cant still see the small target, and then everything you touch - the detector, spade, digging tool picks up a coating of clay, repeat a few times and you are in a right flippin mess ;;z

Thats why I use a pinpointer, but I can see it would be a different scenario if the soil is different especially if sandy/peaty ::g
I'm still burning you'll never put the spark out in my soul

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:58 pm

I know some fear change, it’s a natural human trait, well-known phrases spring to mind such as “don’t fix what’s not broken” etc, but another, much stronger human urge is progression.
Yes, there may be a few examples where old variations may be better, but a much larger percentage of examples exist where innovative ideas and designs are far better.

A classic “that’ll never take off” was when Alexander Graham Bell said that “One day…. Every town and city will have one of these”, of course he was referring to the telephone.

I’m sure we all agree that the reviews are there to assist in making any future decisions regarding in which way we decide to eventually turn.
Regarding the reviews and hype; I’ve never been swayed by frenzied “blurb”, as per usual, it is the in-depth research that usually results in the right decision.

This post is centred on the new XP MI-6 probe so, in fairness, this reply relates to that piece of kit.
I have the Garrett AT probe which is a superb tool indeed. I now have the MI-6 probe which, in my mind, is a perfect fit with the XP wireless philosophy.
Now, the ability to hear the probe through the ‘phones is a step in the right direction. How many have had the problems of wind noise and extraneous sounds? Besides, using the MI-6 in this manner results in a 90-hour battery life which should suffice for many trips out.
In a curt way, I have the best of both worlds with the Garrett being a fantastic back-up probe.

I also understand those that prefer not to use a probe at all.
This is what is so good about this world, you have a choice, whatever the reason.
Sometimes, that reason may change, so again, you have a choice.

We’re out this weekend to continue the V4 and HF coil assessment with the added trial of the MI-6 probe to report on.
Image XP Déus V4.1

brian43

Post by brian43 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Fully agree with many posts here. The only reason I would consider the expense of the XP pointer is that to be able to hear it through the headphones would be a great help now that my hearing appears to be lets say not as good as it was! Sometimes, especially on windy days and near busy roads,I have problems hearing other pointers.

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:24 pm

brian43 wrote:Fully agree with many posts here. The only reason I would consider the expense of the XP pointer is that to be able to hear it through the headphones would be a great help now that my hearing appears to be lets say not as good as it was! Sometimes, especially on windy days and near busy roads,I have problems hearing other pointers.
Again Brian, you've hit the nail on the head as you have been quite frank about your hearing ability and the advantage the MI-6 would offer you.
Even with "good" hearing, it can be difficult to hear the audio response from a probe.
When you say "I have a problem hearing other pointers" I take it you have used several different makes and models?
This in itself gives you justification in acquiring the MI-6 as you could always sell your other probes.
I said to my other half about selling the Garrett AT Probe to fund the MI-6..... she just said "...and why would you want to do that?" :D
Image XP Déus V4.1

muddy fingers

Post by muddy fingers » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:29 pm

I am always interested to see new things come onto the market and if I think they will suit my purpose, I am not adverse to buying them. That of course, is as as long as they are not ridiculously expensive which sadly, I believe the XP pointer to be. Attitudes have certainly changed since the early days of detecting back in the 1970s, a time when the magazines were full of tips on how to save money by making one's own accessories by using bits of wood and wire etc.
Nowadays, the top manufacturers don't seem to be bothered by the prices of their items. Since the hobby became mainstream, they know that there will be enough people out there willing to pay whatever they ask. Detectorists are desperate for anything that they believe will increase their chances of making good finds similar to those they see shown on the forums and in the magazines.
As littleboot says, having good land to go on in the first place and understanding one's detector, of whatever vintage, are crucial factors that will bring success to some degree. That said however, although I share littleboot's cautious attitude to manufacturers and all their hype (which was something which the wild advertising of the 70s taught us) I think its a mistake to be too sceptical of new innovations to the point that it makes one unwilling to try out different detectors and their accessories- if one can afford to do so. A little speculative outlay here and there, based on the trustworthy informed opinions of others, may not be such a bad thing and could bring dividends.
Although initially against the idea of forking out for a Deus, I eventually bought one and find its versatility and choice of frequencies and recovery speeds etc absolutely ideal for most of the sites that I go on. I wished that I had not held back but had bought one a couple of years before I actually did. I can judge whilst in the field whether its best to either quickly set it for maximum depth or change the settings so as to winkle out tiny objects in an iron infested area. I think its a mistake to stick to one old favourite detector all the time, no matter how well one thinks one understands it and I'm sure in the past, I must have left behind many good finds in the ground because I wasn't using a detector that was really ideally suitable for that site, though probably at the time I thought that it was.

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Heads up....
Price reduction on the XP MI-6 pinpointer, now at £139 from some suppliers, got mine last Sunday for the sum of £125 after an extra 10% off, got a protective cover to keep it clean for £8
Glad I waited a while and saved a few bob.

All paired and working great when testing it out in the garden, very impressive bit of kit and seamless connection with the controller and looking forward to using it when out next.

Regards Steve
-----------------------------------------------(ooooooooo)-------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

Albert Einstein

Return to “XP MI-6 & MI4 Pinpointer Forum”