Last chance saloon for 600

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
NoxHunter

Re: Last chance saloon for 600

Post by NoxHunter »

::g
Last edited by NoxHunter on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

🏴‍☠️ Dirt Fishing For Gold Silver Copper And Bronze 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Staffordshire 🇬🇧

fred

Post by fred »

Bors wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:47 pm
NoxHunter wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 pm
I’m finding the equinox 600 is really nice to use in field one 50 tones after coming from a minelab Safari the equinox is a great machine to use fond stuff at 18” with no problem and I would not be putting my equinox for sale it’s so good of a machine and it’s so lite to use and you don’t need to buy batteries every time you use it and it’s wireless too so no ripping your head phones off every time you dig lol all the best noxhunter ::g
Well, I`ve never found a Coin at 18" even with a Nox . Oh, I tell a lie, I did once . It was under a Galv Bin Lid. :))
I've found plenty of stuff at 18 inches too, although admittedly not coins on land. The depth on beaches is embarassing though. :D
Equinox 800 x2

tommyb

Post by tommyb »

I have had sliver and gold hammered coins down to 16inches. copper penny's and trade weights
to 21 inches.
my settings for the 600 are field1 and beach1 FE0 speed 2.
In field 1 it is important to ground balance to get the best depth and able to run high sen 23/25
if you have to run field 1 lower than sen 23. use beach1.
I also find multi is upto 5 inches deeper than any single frequency .

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

tommyb wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:05 pm
I have had sliver and gold hammered coins down to 16inches. copper penny's and trade weights
to 21 inches.
In field 1 it is important to ground balance to get the best depth and able to run high sen 23/25
Man inches or real ones? =)) unless you are on a beach...
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

fred

Post by fred »

Oxgirl36 wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:42 pm
to 21 inches.

Oi! This is a family forum (to quote somebody) ! :D :D :D
Equinox 800 x2

Pete E

Post by Pete E »

fred wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:48 pm
to 21 inches.

It’s ok Fred, she means “parking inches” not “man inches” :))
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man »

I dread to think what it must be like to have to dig down to 21". I'm pooped digging 12" if I have to :-/

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 »

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:48 pm
to 21 inches.

I don’t know what you mean ;[
Carpe vinum

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman »

Maybe its cabin fever? x;

BM [:)

Equinox 800
Rutus Alter 71

Scoob

Post by Scoob »

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:06 pm
Scoob wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:49 pm
Mancave-man wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:35 pm
Today I found a 50p sized piece of lead at at least 10" with my Equinox 800. How deep do you want to go? :-/
Alot deeper than 10". Like the OP I have a 600 and I'm not impressed with it, despite dropping the recovery to 1 and the iron bias to 0.

Like the OP too, I've been a Minelab user for a long time. Seems most users love them but some can't get on with them.
How deep? x;
My mistake, I have never done any land detecting. I did go to one rally a few years ago, but its strictly beach for me. To be honest, with a VLF/BBS/FBS/Multi IQ etc I didn't know depth on land would be different so 10" is nothing to me. Because I'm beach only I forget that people detect on land. :E

Scoob

Post by Scoob »

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:11 pm
Today I found a 50p sized piece of lead at at least 10" with my Equinox 800. How deep do you want to go? :-/
Alot deeper than 10". Like the OP I have a 600 and I'm not impressed with it, despite dropping the recovery to 1 and the iron bias to 0.

Like the OP too, I've been a Minelab user for a long time. Seems most users love them but some can't get on with them.
10" is very deep for any normal machine. Perhaps you need to get rid of them and try something else.
Though I have no idea what that would be but good luck anyway.
My mistake, I just ASSume everyone else is on the beach too!

Bors

Post by Bors »

Yeah too many X fishermen too :D

I Don`t want to stir the mud here but what happened to a once common theory that a detector could only detect max depth wise, to the size of the coil it was using. :-/
Beware of the Man who shoots with only One gun.

Scoob

Post by Scoob »

Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:19 pm

Those settings are something I would strongly advise against using on land. Even on a 600, and with Tone 1 and everything else set up properly, all the signals will be so wide that in most fields you will not be able to sort out where one signal ends and the next one starts. The Nox is not quite like other Minelabs so I really wouldn't rely on your experience of other machines too much.

There is plenty written about how to set up and learn the Nox but trying to bypass the learning curve really is setting yourself up for a hard time. Once you start to suss out the Nox it is a completely different ballgame and there are lots of permutations which work for people.

Anybody can post or pm their settings and I will certainly have a good look at them for you. Better still try and find somebody with a Nox to run through it with you.

Best of luck. :D
Ah, my mistake I'm beach only. As for my settings, beach 1 iron volume down to 1, recovery 1 iron bias none and disc rather than all metal as it's too noisy in all metal. Just seem to spend way too long checking maybe signals in all metal. I figure if blobs of aluminium/ copper shrapnel and those damn bullet heads give a good signal at 8" faint sounds are worth investigating, but at 18" it ain't out so I'm calling it deep iron and moving on. Sensitivity 20 usually, but sometimes I go up to 22 depending on the beach.

I've probably spent too much time with PI's and older Minelab's because Equinox is unlike any other Minelab I've ever used.

tommyb

Post by tommyb »

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:38 pm

I Don`t want to stir the mud here but what happened to a once common theory that a detector could only detect max depth wise, to the size of the coil it was using. :-/
That's true. until the mighty multi nox came out putting that theory to bed. [:)

Scoob

Post by Scoob »

When I was using another brands PI model, I pulled one of those 20mm brass Spitfire rounds out from well over 18" with a 12" coil, maybe multi IQ reacts with the salt on the beach in a similar way to pulses?

coal digger

Post by coal digger »

i'm out tomorrow and if i don't find Caesars personal stash including his parade helmet...i'm done...finished...packing it all up,and please people don't try and talk me out of it,cd ::g
Never wish this day gone, as this day can never be replaced

geoff

Post by geoff »

coal digger wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:18 pm
i'm out tomorrow and if i don't find Caesars personal stash including his parade helmet...i'm done...finished...packing it all up,and please people don't try and talk me out of it,cd ::g
Quandary time, I'm not sure how to break this to you, but I found that lot yesterday, it was 10 feet down but the mighty nox hit it with a nice repeatable signal.
Sorry for the late response, but i only just got in from digging it all out, bath and bed for me, then Ebay for the nox, theres no fun in the hobby anymore for me if I have to dig holes like that all the time.
rl;
Etrac , AT pro & equinox 800, c scope.

fred

Post by fred »

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:53 pm

Ah, my mistake I'm beach only. As for my settings, beach 1 iron volume down to 1, recovery 1 iron bias none and disc rather than all metal as it's too noisy in all metal. Just seem to spend way too long checking maybe signals in all metal. I figure if blobs of aluminium/ copper shrapnel and those damn bullet heads give a good signal at 8" faint sounds are worth investigating, but at 18" it ain't out so I'm calling it deep iron and moving on. Sensitivity 20 usually, but sometimes I go up to 22 depending on the beach.

I've probably spent too much time with PI's and older Minelab's because Equinox is unlike any other Minelab I've ever used.

Aha, mystery solved. ::g

I primarily count myself as a beach detectorist too but I do regularly detect on land these days. On relatively clear wet sand I would do more or less as you do although I have the 800 so I have the option of using just a touch of Iron Bias. That allows me to get the extra depth from All Metal and also to be able to dig with some confidence the faint, just repeatable, clicks knowing that those sort of signals at depth are unlikely to be iron. In those circumstances 18 inches on an old penny is achievable and fishing weights can be much deeper. I find that because the signals are so small the pinpointing is generally spot on so using the lugworm digger technique with a spade works far better than a scoop. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman »

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:08 pm

using the lugworm digger technique :D

The old "Lugworm digger technique" thefiggis was thrown out of the first 15, for doing that in the final against St Judes old boys, a matter his mother never forgave him for, after getting thrown out of the village jam makers group when the local vicar let slip the gory details rl;

BM [:)

Equinox 800
Rutus Alter 71

Skute

Post by Skute »

That was target size dependant and only ever a rough guide (way to many variables). You'll find a buried dustbin way deeper than the size of the coil, while a cut quarter probably wouldn't be picked up at coil diameter depth.

NoxHunter

Post by NoxHunter »

::g
Last edited by NoxHunter on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Merneo

Post by Merneo »

Hi, Question for Fred

So is there any difference in the depth between the 600 and the 800

You have additional frequencies - yes

But using the same coil - would the results be different between the two ?

Just wondered

Paul
Nokta Macro Simplex+
Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2

John Willetts - Made - Hand Digger
Roughneck Micro Shovel Round Point

Nokta Makro Pinpointer
NCMD Member

Barbossa76

Post by Barbossa76 »

Do the nox es blow away safaris and explorers on depth then, i know its not all about depth and have neither machine, was just wondering , its good to get the info from your posts id like another minelab one day

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

Hand on heart my opinion of depth after 27 years detecting is..... your kidding yourself.
You will not , not with the hand of god almighty himself using the spade ...find a silver coin or even a copper coin 18 inches in soil , and even less in mineralised salt riddled sand .

So there ::g
:D

The end.

geoff

Post by geoff »

PinkFloyd wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:44 pm
Hand on heart my opinion of depth after 27 years detecting is..... your kidding yourself.
You will not , not with the hand of god almighty himself using the spade ...find a silver coin or even a copper coin 18 inches in soil , and even less in mineralised salt riddled sand .

The end.
Spot on, bad pinpointing and the coin falling into an overdug hole from the side most likely, done it myself.
I like things kept real .

geoff

Post by geoff »

Barbossa76 wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:22 pm
Do the nox es blow away safaris and explorers on depth then, i know its not all about depth and have neither machine, was just wondering , its good to get the info from your posts id like another minelab one day
Simple answer, no, but similar, but it thrashes them in trashy sites....adjustable recovery speed.
Simples.
It is also an extremely versatile machine, way out infront older machines.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd »

I remember a time tooooo long ago, finding a Victorian penny at 13 inches
I can still see myself putting my whites brick pinpointer into the hole and the depth being near double the length of the pinpointer.
I was buzzing at how deep my old xlt could go.

It was only years later when I realised , that scenario was never repeated again, it clicked that the coin had fell from the sod I was digging out or fell from the side.

Oh, my dads bigger than your dad :))

tommyb

Post by tommyb »

geoff wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:53 pm
PinkFloyd wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:44 pm

The end.
Spot on, bad pinpointing and the coin falling into an overdug hole from the side most likely, done it myself.
I like things kept real .
All i can say is keep going and learning you will get there. deep targets are there just got to find them. ::g

NoxHunter

Post by NoxHunter »

Think this might of gone bit off topic we were trying to help rex123 out with his problems with the equinox 600 and trying to help him not to get rid of a brilliant well made machine and give it more time to get use to it the equinox is so much different to use to over minelab machines all the best noxhunter ::g
Last edited by NoxHunter on Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fred

Post by fred »

Merneo wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:44 pm
Hi, Question for Fred

So is there any difference in the depth between the 600 and the 800

You have additional frequencies - yes

But using the same coil - would the results be different between the two ?

Just wondered

Paul

I suspect that the basic capabilities of the machines are the same. However, what matters is how much of the available 'power' you can actually harness. In my opinion the ability to fine tune the 800 is an advantage for some people, in some situations.

An example of this is Iron Bias. Set at 0 the machines are the same. If you need just a little Iron Bias on the 800 you can set it on 1 and tune out some small iron at the cost of about half an inch of depth. On the 600 the graduations are coarser so setting Iron Bias on 1 will lose you an inch or so of depth and knock out more of the iron. Unfortunately knocking out lots of iron like this isn't good (for me anyway) because it also makes some marginal positive signals sound like iron.

Personally I would rather have the capability to fine tune, even if I choose not to use it, but I realise that other people may have different priorities. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”