Upper Stem Scuffs/Scrapes - Paint Job?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
detectorman5050

Upper Stem Scuffs/Scrapes - Paint Job?

Post by detectorman5050 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:54 pm

I've just got my Equinox 800, and am very happy with it. However, after a few uses, I've noticed that the upper metal stem has some minor scuffs/scrapes with the bare metal showing through. These marks are appearing where the upper stem slots into the control box section.

I like to look after my prized possessions!

Can I paint the upper stem? If so what would be the best type of paint to use?

Maybe I am wasting my time? Cheers!

Minelab Equinox 800. Makro Racer 2, Intey Pinpointer.

sweepstick47

Re: Upper Stem Scuffs/Scrapes - Paint Job?

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 pm

I wouldn't do anything other than perhaps bind it with a short length of black tape for further protection (using the type which is easily removed) - a much neater solution than painting .

But if that doesn't float your boat, I dare say you could always send it back to the retailer for a
refund, claiming that it's 'not fit for purpose' :)) You may receive a replacement immediately 8-| .
Keep smiling ::g . Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:16 pm

An age old problem, difficult to keep like new when you consider the environment it's used in, same goes for any detector. Mines looking quite worn where it slides out from the main arm on the Deus.

Battle scars, as long as you can keep it clean and in good working order, a bit like a "Ratty" of the vehicle world

Regards Steve

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:21 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 pm
I wouldn't do anything other than perhaps bind it with a short length of black tape for further protection (using the type which is easily removed) - a much neater solution than painting .

But if that doesn't float your boat, I dare say you could always send it back to the retailer for a
refund, claiming that it's 'not fit for purpose' :)) You may receive a replacement immediately 8-| .
Good idea. I will try the black tape, but could I not just blast it with black satin spray paint? I also read a very old post on this forum suggesting using a product called 'Armor All' for stem scratches. However the poster didn't elaborate on the specific product to use (they have a range of products.)
Last edited by detectorman5050 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DelphiOne

Post by DelphiOne » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Not got my Equinox yet but im going to bind the stem in camo tape to protect it.
Just search fleabay for camo tape it's used mainly for rifle barrels. You can also get it in plain colours if you dont like camo.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:40 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:21 pm
sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Good idea. I will try the black tape, but could I not just blast it with black satin spray paint?
[/quotea

If the scrape is the result of stem length adjustment, it will simply happen again as Steve_T pointed out. It's only a minor cosmetic thing so I really think the tape would better suit the job.

Spraying could produce a neat job too, if done with care and caution. I'll just add that I restore antique furniture and on occasion have had to refinish a black 'ebonised' piano to match the original finish. You might be surprised to know there are so many differing shades of black and if you don't get it right, it is very noticeable to the eye!! Your choice, let us know how you get on. Good Luck ss47 ::g
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:46 pm

I'm afraid I've done something rather stupid this evening. I noted a few minor scratches at the top of the metal stem, prob created by sand.

I then tried to cover them up using black 'colour restorer' polish for the car. I reckon it has thinned the paint on the stem, and made things worse.

I feel a right idiot, and a bit sick inflicting even more damage on it out of stupidity.

I was wondering if I took it to a local car spray painter tomorrow, if they could rectify the situation?

I really never expected the car colour restorer to take the paint of it.

DelphiOne

Post by DelphiOne » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:19 am

Colour restorer probably has a bit of Tcut in it and it's quite abrasive. I would say a decent tin of matt black spray paint would do it. But would need prepping first, don't just spray over it, the stem would need a very light sanding to key it in and has to be very clean before spraying. Also don't over do it with the spray paint it may interfere with the locking nut if you do.I would also leve it to dry for a few days before attaching it back.

Junior

Post by Junior » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:06 am

If it's a aluminium upper does it need a etch primer to stick the top coat. Just a thought...Or will any spray paint stick to Ali nowadays ???? If it's Ali no rust issues only poss corrosion if in salt water?????? Tape it or hopefully some one will start doing covers shortly ::g

broadsmaster

Post by broadsmaster » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:17 am

i always cover all my shafts / stems in vet/ equine bandage, be careful with some of those camo tapes designed for gun barrels they have a gum on them and when you remove them they will take the paint off,whereas the vet bandage ( available in all colours and camo) only sticks to itself ) when i sold my deus after 3 years the shafts still looked like new i bandaged it on day 1 and never slid it up and down it stayed at my preset length. ::g
Last edited by broadsmaster on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minelab explorer se, minelab equinox 800

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:36 am

I like the "Ratty" look, you look like a seasoned detectorist not a newbie....lol

I agree its down to personal choice but being aluminium its not going to rust, a good clean and a bit of protection from a household polish or silicone lubricant works for me.

Regards Steve

ROCK HOPPER

Post by ROCK HOPPER » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 am

Someone said to get a cheap cycle inner tube from £1 land, that does the job.

Junior

Post by Junior » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:20 am

Or compare dia / length of shafts against say a Garrett 250 or other then order a cover kit and adapt to suit.

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:08 pm

I've used some Halfords matt black spray paint on it. It would appear to be quite a good match with regards to colour match/finish (however don't try this yourself, based on my advice.)

I did not prime/sand the painted area, as I was only doing an experiment to see if the colour matched.
Last edited by detectorman5050 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:54 pm

I have used 2 of these:

https://www.jackpykeshop.co.uk/neoprene ... cover.html

One I cut up so one half fits the upper arm-cup stem, and the other half is sown onto the other cover and it the perfect length to cover the complete lower stem, protecting all the bits and also houses the cable.

HH

BD ::g

fred

Post by fred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:48 pm

I suggeast that the best solution is just to stop fiddling with it! ::g

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:57 pm

fred wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:48 pm
I suggeast that the best solution is just to stop fiddling with it! ::g
I reckon you are right Fred, anyway I've done it now.

I reckon my 'paint job' will scratch off at the first opportunity, so I don't recommend spray paint. Hopefully this thread will help someone else avoid making the same silly mistakes as myself.

I've emailed someone who is capable of spraying items professionally, and await there response.

Thanks for all the ideas from various posters.

THE MOLE

Post by THE MOLE » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:16 pm

pipe isulation, light weight, washable also keeps the cable in place. just zip tie it on

https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/insulatio ... 5AQAvD_BwE

just a thought
Just using the Force Image

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”