Poll - What is Your Favourite Field Hunting Mode?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.

What is Your Favourite Field Hunting Mode?

Park1
No votes
Park2
6%
Field1
65%
Field2
29%

Total votes: 17

detectorman5050

Poll - What is Your Favourite Field Hunting Mode?

Post by detectorman5050 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:03 pm

Mine is Field 1 so far, sensitivity around 23/24. Iron bias around 3. Reactivity around 4.

Would be interesting to discuss the differences you have noted between Field mode 1, and Field mode 2, and why you choose your preferred mode.

I think I read somewhere that Field mode 2's frequencies are more weighted with a preference for lower conducting metals. [EDIT] I have searched through the manual again, and can't find any reference to Field 2 favouring lower conductors - so am probably talking rubbish on this one!
Last edited by detectorman5050 on Tue May 15, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Minelab Equinox 800. Makro Racer 2, Intey Pinpointer.

Bargeman

Re: Poll - What is Your Favourite Field Hunting Mode?

Post by Bargeman » Tue May 15, 2018 9:24 pm

I have voted for field 2, but that is not really true, as I swap and change all the time on the field, and won't limit myself to one mode. I was on a roman field a couple of weeks back, where two detectorists were using their Nox's in gold 1, one guy had a load of fibula brooches, and a scattering of roman coins, the other guy had over twenty-five roman coins, they were hammering the field and out performed all the other people there. x;

BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:24 pm
I have voted for field 2, but that is not really true, as I swap and change all the time on the field, and won't limit myself to one mode. I was on a roman field a couple of weeks back, where two detectorists were using their Nox's in gold 1, one guy had a load of fibula brooches, and a scattering of roman coins, the other guy had over twenty-five roman coins, they were hammering the field and out performed all the other people there. x;

That is really interesting. I thought about putting Gold 1 and Gold 2 in poll, but unfortunately left it out. Anyway, these modes can still be discussed here, with regards to UK field detecting.

I am tempted to try out the Gold modes for standard field detecting, however have not come across any videos/guide on how to best use them yet.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 pm

I’m finding this conversation very interesting after my experience last outing. Thought I’d have a look for vids on the tube about the 600. Dropped on one where a fella is experimenting with the Iron Bias. Now you mention it detectorman. So strait to the manual, Iron Bias section. Worth having a look at the default settings and the difference between the 600 & the 800.
I didn’t know you could use one setting from the Advanced settings at the same time as the Pre Set programs but it seems you can. In fact it says you can only change if in Multi Freq.
Example, Park 1 has iron bias of 2 on the 600. On the 800 it’s 6. Beach 1 & 2 iron bias 2 on 600 and 6 on the 800. (This all gets very confusing)
So guess what I’ll be trying next time out. I get a bit fed up with old iron telling me it’s silver!

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Bargeman wrote:
I was on a roman field a couple of weeks back, where two detectorists were using their Nox's in gold 1, one guy had a load of fibula brooches, and a scattering of roman coins, the other guy had over twenty-five roman coins, they were hammering the field and out performed all the other people there. x;

Out of curiosity I just did a a table top test in Gold Mode 1, reactivity 4, sensitivity 23, iron bias 0.
I used a late Victorian penny, and it came in at nearly 1.5 feet. I'd imagine that is quite a respectable result! However, I don't know the practicalities of using Gold Mode under 'real life conditions,' i.e. on the field itself.

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:04 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 pm

So guess what I’ll be trying next time out. I get a bit fed up with old iron telling me it’s silver!
I have been detecting for less than a year and am still learning, but know what exactly you mean with regards to the above. A high signal e.g. in the 30's (big silver) which is actually being caused by 'deep big iron,' due to some form of falsing.

With my limited knowledge, all I know is that experimenting with the iron bias setting should hopefully help solve the above issue.
Last edited by detectorman5050 on Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:27 pm

Thanks for confirmation detectorman. I’ve been reluctant to mess around too much. Not many references to the 600 at present. Most seem to have the 800 and it’s usualy difficult to compare settings. Plus at my age it’s a bit of a culture shock so the idea of messing with advanced settings is daunting.
The iron bias change seems pretty strait forward so I’ll give it a go. At least I’ve done a factory re-set so I can put right all my meddling.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed May 16, 2018 1:10 am

I don't have an equinox but as with any detector when you find a weak target just flip through the factory presets or your custom programs to see which responds best to it and learn from that. Different targets with their different orientations will of course all respond differently too. These polls have just too brief a criteria to have any real meaning. Now if you added ground conditions like whether pasture or cultivated, or moist or dry ground then maybe the results of your poll would be more meaningful. OK, just my constructive criticism for the better meaningful outcome. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil, 2nd Garrett Carrot. %)=
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

historylover

Post by historylover » Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 am

I mainly use field 1 but if I am on a quiet field I use field 2 with both giving great results on some fields that I thought I had covered pretty well with other brands of detectors. I have not tried the gold modes yet but have some new permissions to go on so will give them a go . ::g

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 pm

.....Field 1, 2 tones, All metal,Tone 1 vol 1, Tone 2 vol 25, iron bias 2 or 3 (no higher).
Clean ground...Recovery speed 3 or 4......busy iron ground.....6 ::g
Minelab Equinox 800
WHRADA - Weston Historical Research And Detecting Association

broadsmaster

Post by broadsmaster » Wed May 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Gaz wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 pm
.....Field 1, 2 tones, All metal,Tone 1 vol 1, Tone 2 vol 25, iron bias 2 or 3 (no higher).
identical to how i run it gaz , except i normally start with recovery on 5 and drop down if its quiet
::g
Minelab explorer se, minelab equinox 800

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed May 16, 2018 10:34 pm

::g
Minelab Equinox 800

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:07 pm

Gaz wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 pm
I've seen other Equinox users on here recommend 'All Metal.' What benefits are you personally finding from this setting?

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Thu May 17, 2018 6:55 am

It’s a personal thing really.
I’ve always liked knowing that I’m not slowing down the detector by asking it to discriminate.
The advantage with the Equinox is that you can turn the volume down in Tone break 1 so you can hear the iron in the background but good targets pierce through.
By running all metal also, you can hear how busy your fields are and adjust your IB and recovery to suit. ::g
Minelab Equinox 800

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:15 pm

Bargeman wrote:
I was on a roman field a couple of weeks back, where two detectorists were using their Nox's in gold 1, one guy had a load of fibula brooches, and a scattering of roman coins, the other guy had over twenty-five roman coins, they were hammering the field and out performed all the other people there. x;

Do you know how they were using 'Gold Mode 1' on the field? I tried Gold Mode 1 exclusively on pasture, and found it quite difficult to make sense of the signals I was hearing. Of course my settings were probably not the same as the two guys you met on the Roman field. I had the sensitivity quite high, about 22 from memory.

I also tried it on totally dry sand, and found it quite usable there.

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:50 pm

Easylife wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:10 am
I don't have an equinox but as with any detector when you find a weak target just flip through the factory presets or your custom programs to see which responds best to it and learn from that. Different targets with their different orientations will of course all respond differently too. These polls have just too brief a criteria to have any real meaning. Now if you added ground conditions like whether pasture or cultivated, or moist or dry ground then maybe the results of your poll would be more meaningful. OK, just my constructive criticism for the better meaningful outcome. ::g
No I agree, the info from the poll isn't particularly valuable in its own right. However, I think the discussion it has prompted is.

I suppose the poll could help newbies out using their Equinox for the first time, and unsure which mode to start off in.

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:31 pm

Bargeman wrote:

Did a test in 'Gold Mode 1' this evening, on 2 relatively clean fields. I am getting used to it the more I mess about with it.

The settings were Iron bias 6 (I normally set it at 3, but suspected there may be big chunks of deep iron in this field,) sensitivity 23/24, reactivity 4. I also discriminated everything out under 5. I didn't do any scientific tests with regards to depth, but my impressions were it was 'deep.'

Unfortunately I was getting attacked by swarms of midgies, it really was horrendous, and I had to keep moving to get away from them.

In roughly 1.5 hours I found about 13 coins from mainly the early 1900's, and a dog tag, despite 'challenging conditions.'

I am keen to do more experiments in 'Gold Mode 1,' though next time I'll probably have to spray myself throughly with insect repellant first.
Last edited by detectorman5050 on Sun May 20, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fred

Post by fred » Sun May 20, 2018 11:10 pm

This is a very interesting thread and there are several suggestions here that I look forward to trying out. I was sure from the beginning that as we gained experience we would start to find out what the Nox would really do. ::g

On land I currently detect in Field 1, Multifrequency, 50 tones, Recovery 2 or 3, Iron Bias 2 or 3 and All Metal. I detect on pretty challenging pasture fields and now find something good most times out and am regularly finding keepers at a foot down.

As always with Minelabs the importance of good technique cannot be overstated. Get your swing speed right and listen out for and investigate anything that sounds good regardless of what the numbers say. What seems to happen is that, like the CTX, the Nox identifies some targets at or beyond the limit of the target ID as negative. However, in 50 tones and All Metal either the width or the sound (or both) suggest that they are really positive. Also by winkling you might also be able to lock on to the tinyest repeatable positive signal within a negative one. Finally the angle of the target definitely makes a serious difference to whether the machine detects it or not so always crisscross the site from several directions. :D

Slightly ammended as original confusing. rl;
Last edited by fred on Mon May 21, 2018 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sun May 20, 2018 11:47 pm

fred wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:10 pm
This is a very interesting thread and there are several suggestions here that I look forward to trying out. I was sure from the beginning that as we gained experience we would start to find out what the Nox would really do. ::g

On land I currently detect in Field 1, Multitones, Recovery 2 or 3, Iron Bias 2 or 3 and All Metal. I detect on pretty challenging pasture fields and now find something good most times out and am regularly finding keepers at a foot down.

As always with Minelabs the importance of good technique cannot be overstated. Get your swing speed right and listen out for and investigate anything that sounds good regardless of what the numbers say. What seems to happen is that, like the CTX, the Nox identifies some targets at or beyond the limit of the target ID as negative. However, in Multitones and All Metal either the width or the sound (or both) suggest that they are really positive. Also by winkling you might also be able to lock on to the tinyest repeatable positive signal within a negative one. Finally the angle of the target definitely makes a serious difference to whether the machine detects it or not so always crisscross the site from several directions. :D
Very interesting, but what is 'winkling,' and how many tones do you use? I normally use 5 at the moment.

fred

Post by fred » Sun May 20, 2018 11:59 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:47 pm
fred wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:10 pm

On land I currently detect in Field 1, Multitones, Recovery 2 or 3, Iron Bias 2 or 3 and All Metal. I detect on pretty challenging pasture fields and now find something good most times out and am regularly finding keepers at a foot down.

As always with Minelabs the importance of good technique cannot be overstated. Get your swing speed right and listen out for and investigate anything that sounds good regardless of what the numbers say. What seems to happen is that, like the CTX, the Nox identifies some targets at or beyond the limit of the target ID as negative. However, in Multitones and All Metal either the width or the sound (or both) suggest that they are really positive. Also by winkling you might also be able to lock on to the tinyest repeatable positive signal within a negative one. Finally the angle of the target definitely makes a serious difference to whether the machine detects it or not so always crisscross the site from several directions. :D
Very interesting, but what is 'winkling,' and how many tones do you use? I normally use 5 at the moment.
Sorry 50 tones (I'll change my post to clarify). Winkling is jiggling the searchhead backwards and forwards over the signal from different directions and at different speeds. ::g
Last edited by fred on Mon May 21, 2018 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

fred

Post by fred » Mon May 21, 2018 6:54 am

Easylife wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 1:10 am
There are some factors that general 'good detecting' and some that are Nox specific. Interestingly the Nox seems to be coping with dry ground surprisingly well so perhaps its performance may even get better when there is a bit more moisture in the ground again. ::g

As a helpful discusion this is a great thread. :D

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”