First time out to the beach with the Nox 800

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
skythepig

First time out to the beach with the Nox 800

Post by skythepig » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:17 pm

First time out with the 800 so decided to try Bude beach. After 15 years with an Elite I knew this was going to be a new learning exercise but its all good fun just the same.
Picture shows the result of my evening just getting used to the new machine and the tones etc.
Apart from all the junk, which helps with the beach cleaning, one thing I noticed is the increased depth its finding objects compared to the Elite.
One of the coins is a 1928 sixpence that was just over 12" down. ::g
Hopefully I can get out to another beach tonight for more "practice"
noxfirstjun18.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Still learning the Equinox 800, Sovereign Elite & A Bad Back

Dave The Slave

Re: First time out to the beach with the Nox 800

Post by Dave The Slave » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:09 pm

Got some good depth to it, sixpence at just over 12".
Coins look like they have been buried for years, good haul there.
Cheers ::g
Dave
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:29 pm

Thanks Dave. The recent tides have removed some of the top layer of sand leaving the understones layer which is where I was searching and stuff has most probably been there longer. The 1928 sixpence had definitely been there for a long time.
There were some I think good signals which I could not get at as the stones were too dense to dig that deep.
The only problem is digging is hard in this layer I even managed to put a dent in my beach shovel. ;;z
I used the standard Beach Mode 1.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:58 pm

I did not realise how close I am now to the Crawfords shop in Scunthorpe, so I popped in this morning to see the place and chat with the staff. A very friendly lot and a great selection of machines. I was told there are 200 people waiting for the Equinox to arrive B-)
The machine seems to have great balance, nice big display and the depth test was very impressive as was the recognition of coke and the masking out of iron.
Well done on the beach, that used to be a real science in itself, the seasoned detectorists would know every beach and exactly when to arrive and depart, Liam
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

fred

Post by fred » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Well done on your first beach finds. ::g

I now have a deep seeking beach programme worked out. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what it is as I developed it on the beach and then saved it on the machine. I do know that it is basically Beach Mode 1 in all metal with Recovery Speed on 2 and, because it was an irony beach in places, Iron Bias on 3.

The clever bit was realizing that the Iron Bias setting meants that the machine ignores most deep iron on it's own. With a very slow swing any narrow and repeatable waver of the threshhold is likely to be deep nonferrous stuff, even if it gives negative numbers. Also after you have taken out the first spit the signal should improve a bit. This is actually remarkably similar to how the CTX worked at extreme depth.

I was getting old pennies up to about 18 inches and fishing weights back breakingly deeper. Like my land settings I also think that there is still some further room for refinement. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:05 pm

Thanks for that Fred. I will give your recovery settings and iron bias a try. I was concerned about my swing speed being too fast, but will play with the settings to see how much difference it makes.
Mind you I don't want to be digging any deeper in those stones as my back is bad enough. :8

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:14 pm

skythepig wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:05 pm
Thanks for that Fred. I will give your recovery settings and iron bias a try. I was concerned about my swing speed being too fast, but will play with the settings to see how much difference it makes.
Mind you I don't want to be digging any deeper in those stones as my back is bad enough. :8
I've not tried it with the Nox but one trick that I used to do with the CTX to get rid of hot rocks was to ground balance over a reasonably large lump of it. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:20 am

fred wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 pm

I was getting old pennies up to about 18 inches and fishing weights back breakingly deeper. Like my land settings I also think that there is still some further room for refinement. :D
Was this in 'black sand' or the cleaner variety of sand?
Minelab Equinox 800. CTX 3030. Makro Racer 2, Intey Pinpointer.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:49 am

detectorman5050 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:20 am
fred wrote:

Was this in 'black sand' or the cleaner variety of sand?
About four inches of yellow sand, then a foot of black sand with fine brown shingle below it. The beach is very heavily detected and most of the coin finds were at the bottom of the black layer or in the fine brown shingle. I found very little decimal coinage. I hope to try the settings on some beaches down here later in the week when the tides lengthen. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:53 pm

fred wrote:
Well done on your first beach finds. ::g

I now have a deep seeking beach programme worked out. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what it is as I developed it on the beach and then saved it on the machine. I do know that it is basically Beach Mode 1 in all metal with Recovery Speed on 2 and, because it was an irony beach in places, Iron Bias on 3.

I was getting old pennies up to about 18 inches and fishing weights back breakingly deeper. L
Hi Fred. I tried to replicate these depths on the beach today, but struggled to do so. I was using Beach Mode 1, Sensitivity was about 23/34, Recovery Speed 2, All Metal, Iron Bias 3.

I buried a 1904 bronze penny around 7-8 inches down, in waterlogged sand that contained a lot of small pebbles. I used my spade to roughly gauge the depth. The sand was not the real 'black stuff' that stains your hands when you dig in it.

Anyway, the signal was faint, and to be honest if I didn't know the coin was there, I reckon I would have missed it (as it sounded similar to falsing.)

Inland I've dug up the bronze pennies and half pennies about a foot down.

I am imagining that the composition of the sand must have an influence on depth here?

beach.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:11 pm

I have no idea what influences the depth sand wise although I seldom detect on the loose yellow stuff. I have always found that Minelabs punch deepest in compacted black sand and they go far deeper on the beach than on land. After considerable experimentation in south Kent and East Anglia I am certain that the Nox behaves like this too.

Unless there is something very odd about your beaches you really should be able to get a pre decimal penny at much more than just 7-8 inches. Beach Mode 1 will go far deeper than that in the factory presets. Have a shufti at the Youtube videos.

Very roughly what part of the country are you detecting in? :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

detectorman5050

Post by detectorman5050 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:42 pm

fred wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:11 pm
I have no idea what influences the depth sand wise although I seldom detect on the loose yellow stuff. I have always found that Minelabs punch deepest in compacted black sand and they go far deeper on the beach than on land. After considerable experimentation in south Kent and East Anglia I am certain that the Nox behaves like this too.

Unless there is something very odd about your beaches you really should be able to get a pre decimal penny at much more than just 7-8 inches. Beach Mode 1 will go far deeper than that in the factory presets. Have a shufti at the Youtube videos.

Hi Fred

I do beach detecting mainly on the South West Coast of Scotland, and sometimes the East Coast.

My experiences so far have been different from yours, the depth I am getting seems to be mainly on land (approx. 1 foot for half penny.) I was impressed how solid the ID's were on land at depth. Depth on totally waterlogged clean yellow sand often seems not bad on various beaches.

As for black sand, I have not noticed great depths so far. I've noticed in the 'black sand spots' the ID seems to be at it's most 'flakiest.'

I did a second test today using an 'old school 2p' at a different spot nearly a mile's walk from the first test. Using similar settings, in clean waterlogged yellow sand, it gave a diggable signal at approximately 11 inches.
Last edited by detectorman5050 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:56 pm

detectorman5050 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:42 pm
fred wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi Fred

I do beach detecting mainly on the South West Coast of Scotland, and sometimes the East Coast.

My experiences so far have been different from yours, the depth I am getting seems to be mainly on land (approx. 1 foot for half penny.) I was impressed how solid the ID's were on land at depth. Depth on totally waterlogged clean yellow sand often seems not bad on various beaches.

As for black sand, I have not noticed great depths so far. I've noticed in the 'black sand spots' the ID seems to be at it's most 'flakiest.'

I did a second test today using an 'old school 2p' at a different spot nearly a mile's walk from the first test. Using similar settings, in clean waterlogged yellow sand, it gave a diggable signal at approximately 11 inches.
Thanks. Unfortunately you are too far away for me to pop up. :D

The depth on land is about what I got when the ground was wet. It is now pretty dry so I probably won't be able to usefully play with the settings again until the autumn.

The reason for the reduced depth on sand will have to remain a mystery for the time being. I hope to hit some beaches later this week though and will do a proper writeup sometime. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”