Equinox ID list

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Gorilla-toes

Equinox ID list

Post by Gorilla-toes » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Has anyone a reasonably comprehensive ID list for the Equinox? ive made an attempt below! with a few gaps...

-9 to +2 is iron/ coke/foil
13 ring pull/ small hammered coins?
21 zinc
25/26 copper coins
26 to 38 silver coins

etc etc. So im not great with the IDs yet so any help to complete the list is appreciated and helpful.
also if an ID is jumping around a lot would it be worth digging. Interested in everybodys thoughts.

Minelab Equinox 600
Macro Racer

fred

Re: Equinox ID list

Post by fred » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:20 pm

Gorilla-toes wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:37 pm
Has anyone a reasonably comprehensive ID list for the Equinox? ive made an attempt below! with a few gaps...

21 zinc
25/26 copper coins
26 to 38 silver coins

etc etc. So im not great with the IDs yet so any help to complete the list is appreciated and helpful.
also if an ID is jumping around a lot would it be worth digging. Interested in everybodys thoughts.
Don't worry too much about the numbers. In some circumstances it might help but usually there are so many things that a number might be that it usually doesn't help much. If you are beach detecting then ignoring 13 does help because it is usually a ring pull. What does help more in deciding what to dig is identifying the shape and size of the target. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:30 pm

Fred - I still consider myself somehwhat of a newbie... so how do you ID the size and shape of a target from the beep and the ID number?
Rutus Alter 71, Equinox 600, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade
YouTube - tcDetects

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:47 pm

Simply by how sharp and short the signal is. It’s usualy the smaller things we want so short and sharp is what you want.
Try the old technique of centering the signal then turning 90 deg and centering again. Mark each with your spade, X marks the spot.
While your doing this it’s easy to tell if it’s a big it or a smal item.
Last edited by Ladybird66 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Thanks Ladybird, so I think I have the size thing more or less sorted and will often tell myself 'that's too big to be good' ...

But the shape? Is that more for larger objects and using similar technique?
Rutus Alter 71, Equinox 600, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade
YouTube - tcDetects

Deeceeh

Post by Deeceeh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:51 am

Gorilla-toes wrote:

21 zinc
25/26 copper coins
26 to 38 silver coins

A person should be very careful assuming that a VDI of 1 is definitely defined as coke! (albeit, most likely it will be!)

However,I had a few hours out today, and dug this little 9K gold bracelet, (4.9g)... it gave a stable ID of 1, sweet signal using 50 tones, field 2.
It's the first gold found using my E 800, ( 4th time out), luckily I had my tone break point set to 0 , in tone 1.

Having dug many pieces of coke, in my initial few days of using my nox, once I got back home I experimented at home, testing a piece of coke, and my gold bracelet, trying to differentiate between the two.
The only conclusion that I could come up with, the coke would only give a signal to a height of 1.5 inches max, where as the bracelet would give a signal to nearly 5 inches!.(Air test)
Taking this onboard, in future when I get a VDI of 1, I'm going to raise the search coil a couple of inches, it the signal disappears, perhaps it's coke, and walk on?
Hope this helps!
Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:14 am

Deeceeh wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:51 am
Gorilla-toes wrote:

21 zinc
25/26 copper coins
26 to 38 silver coins

A person should be very careful assuming that a VDI of 1 is definitely defined as coke! (albeit, most likely it will be!)

However,I had a few hours out today, and dug this little 9K gold bracelet, (4.9g)... it gave a stable ID of 1, sweet signal using 50 tones, field 2.
It's the first gold found using my E 800, ( 4th time out), luckily I had my tone break point set to 0 , in tone 1.

Having dug many pieces of coke, in my initial few days of using my nox, once I got back home I experimented at home, testing a piece of coke, and my gold bracelet, trying to differentiate between the two.
The only conclusion that I could come up with, the coke would only give a signal to a height of 1.5 inches max, where as the bracelet would give a signal to nearly 5 inches!.(Air test)
Taking this onboard, in future when I get a VDI of 1, I'm going to raise the search coil a couple of inches, it the signal disappears, perhaps it's coke, and walk on?
Hope this helps!
Dave.
So if the gold bracelet was at 4.5" depth you would walk away? x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6.
White's TDI SL

Junior

Post by Junior » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:59 am

Bargeman done """" equionox silver no's """"" a while back and from memory Gordon h done id no's in searcher or treasure hunter mag a few months back ::g

fred

Post by fred » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:09 am

I agree with the comments about the gold. I have had several small bits with low single figure ID numbers, about the same as foil. It certainly illustrates the risk of ignoring any signal at all. On land I have found that positive signals can sometimes even be winkled out of negative ones. These are usually small pieces of nonferrous metal. Even so if you are doing junky sites like some tourist beaches you may want to be selective about what you dig. ::g

I am amazed that anybody is digging coke with the Nox. I get absolutely none although I do sometimes find it with the probe in holes with other targets. :D
Equinox 800 x2

niceguyfrankie

Post by niceguyfrankie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:43 am

I found these to be pretty much what I get on with my equinox 800
but I still dig most to be better safe than sorry as YOU NEVER KNOW

Gold/ white gold = 25
Gold = 14
£1 = 22
£2 = 23
20p = 16
50p = 15
5p = 10
2p = 27
1p = 11
Old Ring pull = 14
New pull tab = 12
Old ring tab = 10
Bottle top = 24
Bottle cap = 11/16
Foil = 5
George 5th half penny = 21
Elizabeth 1 shilling = 12/13
Elizabeth 2 shilling florin /10p = 16
George 6th Farthing = 24
George 6th Penny = 23
Elizabeth Penny = 29
Elizabeth sixpence = 9
Old 5p = 13

HH

Frank
Equinox 800
HD stainless steel sand scoop with long handle
Minelab pro find 35 pin pointer
Quest Diamond Digger
Evolution SE Pro cut spade
NCMD Registered

niceguyfrankie

Post by niceguyfrankie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:44 am

forgot to add this is mainly on the beach, beach 1 preset mode

HH
Frank
Equinox 800
Quest Diamond Digger
NCMD Registered

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 am

The shape can be an easy one to determine. Best example is a pipe. You can ‘follow’ the signal. Across the pipe it’s short and sharp. Along the pipe, follow the signal, it’ll go as far as the pipe is long. Usualy a few of them on any beach.
I once dug up a man-hole cover x; then I had to re-bury it. I couldn’t carry that away could I ? rl;
Doesn’t take long to learn what NOT to dig.

Gorilla-toes

Post by Gorilla-toes » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:53 am

Thanks for all the replies so far. I think what I’m trying to do is build up a good dig/no dig strategy to implement.
To summarize what I’m thinking.

The list of IDs is interesting but actually not that useful in terms of digging or not digging on land ( might be slightly different for beach)

If you get a reasonably steady ID then dig. It doesn’t matter what the number is, if it’s reasonably steady dig it.

What might be more useful when making a dig/no dig decision might be if there is a small signal but on pinpoint it identifies that the object is actually large. This might tell us that this could be iron as most of the signal is being rejected and only fully identified on pinpoint (which is all metal).
So this would certainly tell us that our seemingly small signal is probably not a coin. So in this case don’t dig.

Or where the signal is wildly erratic. This might tell us that the material is not pure in any way or it could be deep. But we know that the equinox is good at applying solid IDs to even deep objects. So the decision would be don’t dig.

I’m interested to see who would agree or disagree with this. This is really for land searching as opposed to beach.
Minelab Equinox 600
Macro Racer

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:43 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 am
The shape can be an easy one to determine. Best example is a pipe. You can ‘follow’ the signal. Across the pipe it’s short and sharp. Along the pipe, follow the signal, it’ll go as far as the pipe is long. Usualy a few of them on any beach.
I once dug up a man-hole cover x; then I had to re-bury it. I couldn’t carry that away could I ? rl;
I must be a slow learner. :D

Dig everything. Miss nothing. There just so many variables.

Unfortunately its not always pratical to dig everything. How often do we see iron backed buttons or the little thin 17th century lead tokens the size of a little finger nail.

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Still learning the Nox so I am still dig everything mode. I feel it is worth it as i am not getting that much rubbish, and to be honest on the beach it's part of the beach cleaning service ::g
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:09 pm

I’m sorry to say that’s it’s really down to experience. One thing is for sure, the more tat you dig the quicker you’ll learn to avoid it. ::g

fred

Post by fred » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:44 am
Also an irregularly shaped object will tend to give a different number across compared to along! A round object will be more or less the same both ways. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

fred

Post by fred » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:26 pm

niceguyfrankie wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:43 am

Gold/ white gold = 25
Gold = 14
£1 = 22
£2 = 23
20p = 16
50p = 15
5p = 10
2p = 27
1p = 11
Old Ring pull = 14
New pull tab = 12
Old ring tab = 10
Bottle top = 24
Bottle cap = 11/16
Foil = 5
George 6th Farthing = 24
George 6th Penny = 23
Elizabeth Penny = 29
Elizabeth sixpence = 9
Old 5p = 13

HH

Frank
Cheers. These are mostly the same or within 1 of what I get in Beach 1. 9ct and 18ct large gold wedding bands have generally been 21 though. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

niceguyfrankie

Post by niceguyfrankie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:22 pm

fred wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:26 pm
niceguyfrankie wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:43 am

Gold/ white gold = 25
Gold = 14
£1 = 22
£2 = 23
20p = 16
50p = 15
5p = 10
2p = 27
1p = 11
Old Ring pull = 14
New pull tab = 12
Old ring tab = 10
Bottle top = 24
Bottle cap = 11/16
Foil = 5
George 6th Farthing = 24
George 6th Penny = 23
Elizabeth Penny = 29
Elizabeth sixpence = 9
Old 5p = 13

HH

Frank
Cheers. These are mostly the same or within 1 of what I get in Beach 1. 9ct and 18ct large gold wedding bands have generally been 21 though. ::g
I did find a man's rose gold wedding band that came in a 19 too
Equinox 800
Quest Diamond Digger
NCMD Registered

chesters4

Post by chesters4 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:48 am

TID numbers are just a crude indication of what the detector 'sees' IE what metal it is and what shape it is (generally out of the box most are programmed to find round things and a coin hit on most is unmistakeable)
The TID system swiftly falls down if the item isnt the same orientation as it was when the software was written ,so a round coin is only round when perfectly flat then it changes shape as it goes from horizontal round then oval then increasingly thin as it goes vertical in the soil.
Then theres what its made of confuses the machine brass is different to copper and combinations make it hard to exactly put a number on it !

Worst is ringpulls those buggers come out anywhere because the beaver tail can be in different positions compared to the ring part .

Biggest mistake is putting down lines and detecing along them and declaring everything has been found ,yes they most probably have in that direction but even a change of couple of degrees in approach can hide or reveal a target so this isnt a foolproof method .

What is interesting is when does the software decide a target is good or bad ,perhaps it ignores targets that do not fall into its programming parameters hense all metal appears to be best in the long run but hard work in some of mine i can get several signals under the coil at once !

After it sunk in to me i found more coins in the days of crude meter machines it occured to me not paying so much attention to numbers find rates improved .
YES numbers can be usefull giving a rough idea of what it "may" be but dont confuse those numbers with what it "is" or you will be disapointed indeed

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:35 am

After it sunk in to me i found more coins in the days of crude meter machines it occured to me not paying so much attention to numbers find rates improved .
YES numbers can be usefull giving a rough idea of what it "may" be but dont confuse those numbers with what it "is" or you will be disapointed indeed
Absolutely. I don't have numbers on my machine anyway. Haven't a need. When I have the dosh I will buy an Equinox but I will not need numbers then either. I will do what I always do....listen to the language. The pitch, the grumbles and squeaks, the shape of the target it describes. Probably most important: the 'shape' of the sound itself. There are subtle variations between different targets even when the tone is more or less the same: a sweet clear note; a brash sharp edged one; one that goes a bit reedy and thin; one that has a blurred and hard to pinpoint....etc etc

I think anyone looking at numbers as a way of refining what they will dig or not dig is setting themselves up to miss lots of things. I never understand why people do it...dig it out! That is what its all about. The people who are most successful at finding the really good stuff are the people who accept there will be loads of times they will spend 10 minutes and more digging a hole in hard tack ground only to find rubbish at the bottom of it.

I hope to get an Equinox this spring. I am looking forward to the performance it will give me re-invigorating some of my previously productive permissions, from what I have read from respected members here. The numbers thingy will be neither here no there.

(Remember Andy from series 1 of Detectorists with his Deus wafting over Terry's shrapnel and reading his screen and saying it could be a coin? Very funny and so true.)
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:09 pm

u;@ u;@ u;@ u;@ ::g

NEVER dig by numbers!! If you can't stop looking at the screen, cover it up with insulating tape!

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

Crocket

Post by Crocket » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Same as Fred only dug 1 piece of coke by accident as there was a button next to it , pinpointer found it .

fred

Post by fred » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:06 pm

The numbers are fun for beach coin shooting but not much good for IDing anything else. At a push on some sites I sometimes use numbers to ignore particularly annoying targets.

I think that we established on another thread that coke is only detected in some modes, Field 2 and Beach 2 spring to mind. It is not detected in others. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Hairyhands

Post by Hairyhands » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:39 pm

I've never dug coke.

djm666

Post by djm666 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:44 pm

I have had three cut 1/4s which came in at 10/11 and two cut 1/2s which came in at 9. Go figure why the cut 1/2s come in lower than he 1/4s.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:51 pm

Ignore the numbers and hunt using your ears,what I've found using my 600 is you can get solid numbers but the signals don't always sound the same, also I can often tell whether an object is round or a regular shape by tone alone, you don't get this definition by gawping at numbers.

And here is a list of objects that can read 11 in Field 2!

Eddie pennies
Gold quarter Staters.
Pistol balls
Shotty caps
A ball of foil
Crotal bell fragments
Tombac buttons
Small buckles
Etc, etc etc.

If I didn't mention it, use your ears! :))

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:59 pm

littleboot wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:35 am
Absolutely. I don't have numbers on my machine anyway. Haven't a need. When I have the dosh I will buy an Equinox but I will not need numbers then either. I will do what I always do....listen to the language. The pitch, the grumbles and squeaks, the shape of the target it describes. Probably most important: the 'shape' of the sound itself. There are subtle variations between different targets even when the tone is more or less the same: a sweet clear note; a brash sharp edged one; one that goes a bit reedy and thin; one that has a blurred and hard to pinpoint....etc etc

I think anyone looking at numbers as a way of refining what they will dig or not dig is setting themselves up to miss lots of things. I never understand why people do it...dig it out! That is what its all about. The people who are most successful at finding the really good stuff are the people who accept there will be loads of times they will spend 10 minutes and more digging a hole in hard tack ground only to find rubbish at the bottom of it.

I hope to get an Equinox this spring. I am looking forward to the performance it will give me re-invigorating some of my previously productive permissions, from what I have read from respected members here. The numbers thingy will be neither here no there.

(Remember Andy from series 1 of Detectorists with his Deus wafting over Terry's shrapnel and reading his screen and saying it could be a coin? Very funny and so true.)

Slightly off topic, but as a fellow GMP owner and now also an Equinox owner you'll almost certainly "click" with the Nox as it has the same finesse tone wise as the GMP, I can switch between the two with ease which has never been the case with other machines that have come and gone over the years.

Just don't get hung up on numbers though! ;)

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:17 pm

That is reassuring to know TP. Thanks! I will always have a place for my beloved GMP and would want the two machines to compliment each other, which it sounds as if they will. ::g
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

jondurandsilver

Post by jondurandsilver » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:36 pm

All in the ears for me too.
I have never seen a reading on my deus lite of any kind and wouldn't know where to find one.
If in any doubt dig it out!
Hammered silver coins:31 inc cut 1/2's and 1/4's
Gold coins :0
Saxon coins :0
Roman denari :0
Matrix seals :1

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”