Equinox 800 & CTX3030

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Odin

Equinox 800 & CTX3030

Post by Odin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi All,
I have a question that's specifically directed at CTX3030 users who've now had the chance of properly testing and using the Equinox 800.

I'd like to ask if you think it's worth swapping out for the Equinox 800?
I've been using the CTX3030 now for a couple of years and absolutely love it on pasture. I've gotten to know the machine very well and it's rewarded me in kind with many nice finds. I am, as they say, in complete harmony with it and don't want to fix anything that's no broken.

On the other hand, I've not had a chance to take an Equinox for a spin yet for comparisons sake. I've ignored all the hype to date however I am wondering if you think the 800 is a better performer - not all rounder - but specifically on cleanish pasture? Is there any real and obvious advantage for an already contented CTX owner to go and get himself a Nox?

jcmaloney

Re: Equinox 800 & CTX3030

Post by jcmaloney » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:47 pm

The Equinox is light, sharp and waterproof. It is also reasonably priced.

Its not a CTX by some stretch.

Think Ford Mondeo vs Aston Martin.

Both cars, both effective, both get you from A-B................ but.

The tech on board the Equinox is VERY clever, having both single & multi in the same "box". Its target separation is on a par with the CTX.

I have a CTX and have used a Nox enough times to know I won`t change. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

Odin

Post by Odin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:44 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:47 pm
The Equinox is light, sharp and waterproof. It is also reasonably priced.

Its not a CTX by some stretch.

Think Ford Mondeo vs Aston Martin.

Both cars, both effective, both get you from A-B................ but.

The tech on board the Equinox is VERY clever, having both single & multi in the same "box". Its target separation is on a par with the CTX.

I have a CTX and have used a Nox enough times to know I won`t change. ::g
Appreciate the reply JC. Food for thought.

Swany

Post by Swany » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi Odin

In the same boat as you, but I have purchased the Nox, using the CTX at present, but have a Nox 800 brand new in the cupboard for a month now. I know the CTX and all my permissions are starting to come on line, so reluctant to try and learn the Nox in peak season :D, but it looks a cracking machine.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Odin, last time I met you, you pleaded poverty when buying a round .. =)) Should be in your area in the early winter, hope all is well, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:28 pm

I have both a Nox 800, and a CTX, I have not swung the CTX once since buying the NOX, the only reason I can see to use the CTX now is if I wanted to use the GPS function. But you pays your money, you make your choice. ::g

BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

stupot

Post by stupot » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:45 pm

I have both units.

Have used the ctx since it came out, it is superb. But.... the Equinox will out do it for small/tiny non ferrous.

Two types of pasture, never ploughed or has been ploughed. If its the first, stick to the ctx since tiny non-ferrous will be out of range anyway for the most part. If you have a mixed grass field type I would still stick to the ctx. Arable is the opposite for me personally, Equinox first - never thought I'd say that!

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:54 pm

The Nox is in another league when it comes to target separation and the Nox is amazing on low conductors.

fred

Post by fred » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:22 pm

As is well known by now the Nox has completely replaced the CTX for me. I mostly do beaches and pasture and the Nox excels on both.

I reckon that it is deeper than the CTX on small nonferrous bits anywhere and about the same on ordinary bits on pasture. It is an inch or two shy of the CTX on really deep targets on the beach but this is made up for by the ease of use and should be sorted when the large coil finally becomes available.

Target separation is superb. The screen target ID is not quite as precise as the CTX as you are relying on a single number but the ID seems to be reliable somewhat deeper. The Nox can be confused by some combinations of multiple target and, like the CTX, some iron signals tend to pinpoint a few inches out in the ordinary detecting modes.

Everybody that I know who have Noxes certainly aren't in a hurry to go back to anything else. We are just waiting for the ground to get wet again so that we can find out what the machine will really do.

PS Remember how long it took you to learn the CTX. The Nox won't take as long but it will still take time. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Odin

Post by Odin » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:33 pm

liamnolan wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:09 pm
Odin, last time I met you, you pleaded poverty when buying a round .. =)) Should be in your area in the early winter, hope all is well, Liam :;@
Let me know when you're passing through again Liam it would be great to catch up. There's always a pint waiting for you :)
Hope you're keeping well.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I'll chew on it a bit more...

Sportsman

Post by Sportsman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:22 am

There is nothing that the ctx will find that the equinox wont ::g ..In heavy heavy iron though the Equinox comes into its own with the recovery speed ::g
Xp Deus.

My Lucky Underpants

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:16 am

There are a few bold statements being made about the performance of the equinox over the ctx, i have both and have formed an opinion.
there is no doubt that the equinox is faster, lighter and has multi freq and multi iq and the ability to switch from multi to single freq and i have had a few nice finds with mine but i have yet to be treated to a single WoW moment with the equinox where i have had many with my ctx.
my opinion is this, my equinox has done nothing that beats or matches my ctx (depth wise) and thats where it matters most but only time will tell.

IMO.

GL&HH
Just dig it and put your mind at rest

fred

Post by fred » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:38 pm

slowsweep wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:16 am
There are a few bold statements being made about the performance of the equinox over the ctx, i have both and have formed an opinion.
there is no doubt that the equinox is faster, lighter and has multi freq and multi iq and the ability to switch from multi to single freq and i have had a few nice finds with mine but i have yet to be treated to a single WoW moment with the equinox where i have had many with my ctx.
my opinion is this, my equinox has done nothing that beats or matches my ctx (depth wise) and thats where it matters most but only time will tell.

IMO.

GL&HH
Funny that because I have had several such moments on land, especially on small targets that I simply didn't see with the CTX, and on beaches for deep stuff. The size of the small gold and silver that it can detect is amazing.

My main point with the Nox is that we are still in very early days. Just think how long it took before we got the hang of the CTX. The user settings on the Nox are not as versatile as on the CTX but I think that the basic programmes offered are much better. A lot of the finer aspects of the Nox still depend on technique and ear but I think that the best of it is yet to come. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:46 pm

fred wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:38 pm
Funny that because I have had several such moments on land, especially on small targets that I simply didn't see with the CTX, and on beaches for deep stuff. The size of the small gold and silver that it can detect is amazing.

My main point with the Nox is that we are still in very early days. Just think how long it took before we got the hang of the CTX. The user settings on the Nox are not as versatile as on the CTX but I think that the basic programmes offered are much better. A lot of the finer aspects of the Nox still depend on technique and ear but I think that the best of it is yet to come. :D
The Equinox is certainly sharp on the small stuff ::g

Ground conditions since mine arrived haven't provided me with as much usage of the Equinox as I would have liked, but after heavy rain all day yesterday and steady rain for most of today I think I'll try a few hours this evening and see how far all that water has soaked in :)

fred

Post by fred » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:46 pm
fred wrote:

The Equinox is certainly sharp on the small stuff ::g

Ground conditions since mine arrived haven't provided me with as much usage of the Equinox as I would have liked, but after heavy rain all day yesterday and steady rain for most of today I think I'll try a few hours this evening and see how far all that water has soaked in :)
I may try a bit of land tomorrow for precisely the same reason. ::g I was just getting going with the Nox when the sun hit and I retired to the beaches!
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

slowsweep

Post by slowsweep » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:59 pm

fred wrote:
slowsweep wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:16 am

IMO.

GL&HH

"my equinox has done nothing that beats or matches my ctx (depth wise) and thats where it matters most but only time will tell."
Just dig it and put your mind at rest

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”