Help With Noise Cancel Equinox 600

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Needahand

Help With Noise Cancel Equinox 600

Post by Needahand » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:51 am

Hi, I seem to be having a problem with noise cancelling on my equinox 600. When I run noise cancel it displays a number then goes back to displaying AU, so it does not seem to be locking onto the correct setting. My wife has an 800, when I run noise cancel on hers it locks onto the required number and if you turn it off and on again, it displays the previous setting. My 600 always displays AU.

HELP!!!!!

beep-and-dig

Re: Help With Noise Cancel Equinox 600

Post by beep-and-dig » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:45 am

Auto Noise Cancel can also be initiated on the 600 by pressing the + / - buttons.

Page 39 User Manual ::g

Needahand

Post by Needahand » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:48 am

beep-and-dig wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:45 am
Auto Noise Cancel can also be initiated on the 600 by pressing the + / - buttons.

Page 39 User Manual ::g
Yes, I have done that, it runs for 8 seconds, displays a number, then after a couple of seconds reverts to AU.

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:54 am

One thing to consider when using an "auto" noise cancel feature on any machine
When you are in a noisy area for detecting, or with more EMI than usual then your machines auto noise cancel will actually choose a very "safe" number......this is not always the best number for the area, it is though a safe number to allow you to be able to detect in those conditions
Just something to keep in mind
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Needahand

Post by Needahand » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:54 pm

Blackadder43 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:54 am
One thing to consider when using an "auto" noise cancel feature on any machine
When you are in a noisy area for detecting, or with more EMI than usual then your machines auto noise cancel will actually choose a very "safe" number......this is not always the best number for the area, it is though a safe number to allow you to be able to detect in those conditions
Just something to keep in mind
It never selects any number, when I scroll to noise cancel mode it just displays AU as in the top picture. When I run noise cancel (accept/reject or + or -) it runs for 8 seconds, displays a number as in the bottom picture, then goes back to displaying AU as in the top picture after a few seconds. If I turn the machine off then on again it still just displays AU. On my wife's 800 which is basically the same machine, it would lock onto the -4 (or whatever number it selected) as in the bottom picture and if I turned the machine off and on again it would still display -4 (or whatever number it had locked onto). I am confused. Has anyone else got this problem? Maybe I should call Minelab technical.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Looks like an error code to me if it wont lock onto a number. I would contact the technical support to see what they say.
XP Deus, a different ball game.
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

tommyb

Post by tommyb » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Your 600 is working correct. auto noise cancel.
The 800 has auto and manual so displays a number so you can manually go up or down.

Needahand

Post by Needahand » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:14 pm

tommyb wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:32 pm
Your 600 is working correct. auto noise cancel.
The 800 has auto and manual so displays a number so you can manually go up or down.
If that is the case then I don't have a problem, which is great. But why does it allow me to operate this feature if it is not available? Generally features that are available on the 800 but not the 600 give a single low error tone to let you know that you can't do that.

It isn't a huge problem because I am using the machine and finding stuff. It is just that I was in a very noisy field yesterday with power cables and phone lines running through it, and I got to thinking "why is noise cancel not dealing with some of this?" I have been rather confused as to why it displays AU - what does that mean anyway?

I have tried to phone Minelab but at the moment am just getting an answerphone message. And they haven't phoned me back yet.

There must be someone out there who has the 600 and can say "yes, mine does that too" or "no, mine doesn't do that" then I can either relax or WORRY.

Blackadder43

Post by Blackadder43 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:24 pm

I would imagine that AU means Auto
Also with different machines they have the same components, but the cost of the machine dictates which bits get activated
I should have made my post a bit clearer, it wasnt so much written for your exact problem, but more a general thing to look out for as doing things in "auto" mode is not doing things in the same way as "max i can squeeze out of the machine" mode with manual tweaking.
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

tommyb

Post by tommyb » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:28 pm

yes i have the 600 works just the same has yours. AU = Auto Your 600 is working as it should.

Donki_Oaty

Post by Donki_Oaty » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:31 pm

Mine does the same then I press the target button (centre) and off I go.
Deus
Nox 600

Needahand

Post by Needahand » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:48 pm

Many thanks for the replies. It would seem that I don't have a problem after all :)) . Just a bit confusing that it lets me set noise cancelling when there is no point to doing it :-/ . One less thing that I have to remember each time I go out and more time to find stuff.

fred

Post by fred » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Look for asterisks in the manual. Anything with an asterisk is unavailable on the 600.

The auto noise cancel function refers only to the automatic detection of the channel with least noise. Once you have done this the channel is fixed in the Mode that you are using until you noise cancel again.

If you turn off and on the machine, get EMI noise after noise cancelling, move to a different area with possible different EMI or change Modes you should noise cancel again. If your pinpointer or your mates machine interferes with your detector you can run noise cancel to sort that out too. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Needahand

Post by Needahand » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:13 pm

fred wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:50 pm
Look for asterisks in the manual. Anything with an asterisk is unavailable on the 600.

The auto noise cancel function refers only to the automatic detection of the channel with least noise. Once you have done this the channel is fixed in the Mode that you are using until you noise cancel again.

If you turn off and on the machine, get EMI noise after noise cancelling, move to a different area with possible different EMI or change Modes you should noise cancel again. If your pinpointer or your mates machine interferes with your detector you can run noise cancel to sort that out too. ::g
Thanks Fred

Yes, I am feeling decidedly THICK now!

I read your post about the pinpointer trick before (which was what got me started on this noise cancelling thing in the first place), but when I tried it I found that it dulled out the interference while I was running noise cancel but once it finished the interference returned. This made me think it wasn't working properly. Any thoughts?

fred

Post by fred » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:13 pm

Needahand wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:13 pm
fred wrote:

Thanks Fred

I read your post about the pinpointer trick before (which was what got me started on this noise cancelling thing in the first place), but when I tried it I found that it dulled out the interference while I was running noise cancel but once it finished the interference returned. This made me think it wasn't working properly. Any thoughts?
No need to feel thick at all. New machines need to be learned and forums like this can save a hell of a lot of grief. ::g

Firstly make sure that it actually is your pinpointer causing the interference. Some mobile phones appear to cause problems too and they may be difficult to noise cancel out as they don't seem to have a continuous connection on all the frequencies that they use. Try noise cancelling a few times with the pinpointer on (and perhaps even squawking). If that doesn't work I have no idea as a pinpointer is only likely to work on a single frequency and should be pretty easy to tune out. Unfortunately I don't have a 600 to play with so I can't experiment to try and find a solution. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Needahand

Post by Needahand » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:21 pm

fred wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:13 pm
Needahand wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:13 pm
fred wrote:

Thanks Fred

No need to feel thick at all. New machines need to be learned and forums like this can save a hell of a lot of grief. ::g

Firstly make sure that it actually is your pinpointer causing the interference. Some mobile phones appear to cause problems too and they may be difficult to noise cancel out as they don't seem to have a continuous connection on all the frequencies that they use. Try noise cancelling a few times with the pinpointer on (and perhaps even squawking). If that doesn't work I have no idea as a pinpointer is only likely to work on a single frequency and should be pretty easy to tune out. Unfortunately I don't have a 600 to play with so I can't experiment to try and find a solution. :D
OK Fred, I will give it a go. I have tried it with the pinpointer squawking but as I said everything goes silent while noise cancelling is in progress (ie for 8 seconds) then kicks off again when it has finished. I will try going through the process several times and see what happens. This would be really useful as I currently have to place the detector several feet away when I am using pinpointer, which, of course, is not ideal.

fred

Post by fred » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:26 pm

What pinpointer do you have?
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Crewesader

Post by Crewesader » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 pm

My 600 does the same if I am reading your post right the AU stays there until I press the detect button, I have only used it three times and last time was next to a railway line and it drove me mad, I should be going elsewhere tonight I will see if it does the same and get back to you Lez

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”