MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
mrix
Founder

MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by mrix » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:12 am

Hello all, I know this information was recently posted elsewhere at the MDF but I have just recieved the information from Minelab so thought I would create a sticky post with direct links on the information and a ongoing thread for any future updates on the Equinox machines ::g

Direct link - MINELAB EQUINOX downloads

Direct link - MINELAB EQUINOX Software Update Instructions

Bargeman

Re: MINELAB Equinox Software Updates

Post by Bargeman » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Thanks for that, I just tried the direct Mac link and it works Ok, where as the other hot link would not open ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:13 pm

Following information provided by werewhelk in the other thread but well worth adding to this pinned one.

For anyone worried about not liking the update, it can be rolled back apparently,

https://www.detectorprospector.com/foru ... -software/

Although he said he had not tried it, and so far I see no indication that it might be needed, having worked in IT for many years I know a rollback option is vital.

Evan

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Bargeman wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:48 pm
Thanks for that, I just tried the direct Mac link and it works Ok, where as the other hot link would not open ::g

BM [:)
Yup - same here - this link works :)

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

XP Deus

fletty

Post by fletty » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 pm

Just compared the updated eq800 against a non updated one and I've lost depth noticeable with my updated eq800 .how can I switch back ??

fred

Post by fred » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 pm

fletty wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 pm
Just compared the updated eq800 against a non updated one and I've lost depth noticeable with my updated eq800 .how can I switch back ??

Hi.

I have updated several machines and they all perform perfectly (and a bit better) afterwards and I've not heard of anybody else having any problems with the upgrade. I have no idea what your experience level is with the Nox, what Modes you are using or how you have it programmed and you may already have done all of this.

I would strongly suggest doing a complete factory reset to check that you haven't chosen something from the settings which has adversely affected the performance of the machine by mistake. Try it out at this stage.

Once you have reset it plug in the cable and try and update it again. If the machine has the new software already installed then it will tell you that no update is needed. If it isn't updated then do so.

You will then need to install whatever programme that you are using and see how that works. Feel free to run that programme past me on here or by PM first if you want to and I will tell you how I think that it is likely to perform and whether I can see any obvious problems with it.

Best of luck

Fred
Equinox 800 x2

judeismydog

Post by judeismydog » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi all, I did a factory reset last week- does anyone know whether I need to download the update again or whether that should survive the reset?
Many thanks
Colin
Equinox 800
Ace 250
Garrett Carrot

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:26 pm

Update will still be there
CTX 3030
Equinox 800
Minelab Pro-Find 35

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Yep, it should remain (it is effectively the 'operating system' now). You could always check by trying the update again, and it should tell you that it is already done.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

β€œMy life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

judeismydog

Post by judeismydog » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Thanks both πŸ‘
Equinox 800
Ace 250
Garrett Carrot

toom

Post by toom » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:13 pm

On my nox 600 after i updated it seems now 2 pence on edge has a problem not to botherd as it is not silver

Junior

Post by Junior » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:23 am

Is it a new 2p as steel based where older ones wernt i think ::g

toom

Post by toom » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:31 pm

sorry a bit long on reply been bissy your probably right. looks like the normal short change we get in are money

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:41 pm

has anyone else updated recently and have you noticed any change .i have not done mine yet just watched a vid about coins on edge showing up better x;
South London Metal Detector

fred

Post by fred » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:11 pm

mrcheeky wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:41 pm
has anyone else updated recently and have you noticed any change .i have not done mine yet just watched a vid about coins on edge showing up better x;

I can't be absolutely sure but I think that it probably did make a difference. It certainly didn't do any harm. It will tell you if the machine has already been updated. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

mrcheeky

Post by mrcheeky » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:12 pm

thank you just updated it . i will go over my ground tommrow and see if its made any diffrence.
South London Metal Detector

nubsey

Post by nubsey » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:49 am

As usual having trouble with the update. When I try to install the programme that I downloaded onto my computer, it tells me I do not have a disc in the computer.
Any ideas
Nox 800
Tesoro silver sabre U max

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:36 am

You could try connecting your nox direct to the Minelab site and update strait into the machine, i had a similar problem. Worth a try. beachboy70 ::g

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue May 21, 2019 12:43 pm

nubsey wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:49 am
As usual having trouble with the update. When I try to install the programme that I downloaded onto my computer, it tells me I do not have a disc in the computer.
Any ideas
Having worked in IT support for nearly 40 years I am fairly confident of the problem here. In my job I found it was quite common .... good old fashioned "User Error". Sorry Nubsey.

It sounds as if you have downloaded the MUU successfully then having a problem when you try to run it.

As a double check that the download worked go to your downloads folder and check that it shows -
Minelab Update Utility 1.1.1 (3 Dec 2018) with a size of 30.1mb
(assuming you use Windows vice Mac where I believe the size should be 32.6mb)

My suspicion is that you have not connected the Nox AND TURNED IT ON before trying to run the MUU, but that should tell you to connect the detector.

Double check the instructions and try again. Then if still getting an error post some screen shots and I will have another look

FYI: I have just downloaded the current versionof the MUU and run it with no problem (it confirmed my firmware was upto date)

Evan

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Hi all,

looking at a machine upgrade.

Has the software upgrade(s) sorted the silver problems I read about.

Cheers

Ding Dong

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:00 am

DingDong wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:52 pm
Hi all,

looking at a machine upgrade.

Has the software upgrade(s) sorted the silver problems I read about.

Cheers

Ding Dong
what silver problems are you talking about?
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:52 am

Pete.

here is the link

cheers

dingdong

DingDong

Post by DingDong » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi,

been back to the creators YT channel and asked if he consider the problem fixed, YES HE DOES.

here is a short vid showing it

ding dong

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks for that...I think the original was more a problem for hour American friends as apparently it could pick up stuff like small hammered but struggled with larger US silver dollars in certain circumstances...Never the less, good to hear Minelab have resolved the issue....
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Crocket

Post by Crocket » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:57 pm

When I bought my 800 the dealer updated for me as there only been 1 update , or do I need to follow your instructions to do the latest 1 , thanks

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Crocket wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:57 pm
When I bought my 800 the dealer updated for me as there only been 1 update , or do I need to follow your instructions to do the latest 1 , thanks
There's only one so if yours has been done you don't need to bother.

Crocket

Post by Crocket » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks Norman πŸ‘

chesters4

Post by chesters4 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:37 pm

Hopefully minelab respect their users like far smaller companies and dont just release the one bit of software that seems to fix one problem but cause others!
A version that let you switch off one frequency (rather than just switching one on) would be handy ,my 800 hates 15khz as a nearby fence interferes with it so running a multi frequency with 15khz switched off would be very handy .
Why not more user slots ? One isnt enough if you dont go on the same fields all the time.If their radically different you spend time tweaking existing settings then losing them when you visit another site!
I like 3 tones aswell ,not 2 or 5 or 50 ,3 or perhaps 4 ,it sort of can be done but far easier just to have an option on the get go!
Cant fault its weight bar its nose heavy with a 15" coill cant fault its love of tiny targets but its vdi is useless ,you most probably dig more targets because it doesnt have a clue what they are i have never taken so much iron home in 40+ years of detecting lol
It has found me a few targets in worked out fields but does that show i just never walked over them and my old machine didnt leave much behind and is just as good as one 10 years younger .
As for depth i have not found anything deeper than my old one so either they are not there or its no deeper than the old one either?

As for the "american" problevm their big silver coins are no different to our big silver coins ! Both are big and made of silver!

On retrospect i think our freinds at minelab had more staff inventing hype and pre sales media interest than actually test in and improving their software a machine being blind to the very things its supposed to be finding is unforgivable with so many machines easily available today .The media hype has already started to manipulate buyers this new one maybe better (and the equinox fades from memory ) lol
Its weird in the 21st century a "waterproof" device can leak and it cannot be repaired as its not designed to be repaired but replaced ,until ofcourse your 2 years are up and it breaks down and goes in the bin ,hardly the best thing when the recycling nazis get involved

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:13 am

Q:"My '800 hates 15kHz as a nearby fence interferes with it, so running a multi frequency with 15kHz switched off would be very handy"
Neglecting the fact that multi-freq with one freq missing is likely to compromise performance, there is a more technical problem with your wishes:
In multi-freq mode, the frequencies used are: 7.8kHz, 18.2kHz and 39kHz ( and 'Beach' uses an additional 13kHz I recall), so your desire is impossible.

fred

Post by fred » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:36 am

chesters4 wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:37 pm
Hopefully minelab respect their users like far smaller companies and dont just release the one bit of software that seems to fix one problem but cause others!
A version that let you switch off one frequency (rather than just switching one on) would be handy ,my 800 hates 15khz as a nearby fence interferes with it so running a multi frequency with 15khz switched off would be very handy .
Why not more user slots ? One isnt enough if you dont go on the same fields all the time.If their radically different you spend time tweaking existing settings then losing them when you visit another site!
I like 3 tones aswell ,not 2 or 5 or 50 ,3 or perhaps 4 ,it sort of can be done but far easier just to have an option on the get go!
Cant fault its weight bar its nose heavy with a 15" coill cant fault its love of tiny targets but its vdi is useless ,you most probably dig more targets because it doesnt have a clue what they are i have never taken so much iron home in 40+ years of detecting lol
It has found me a few targets in worked out fields but does that show i just never walked over them and my old machine didnt leave much behind and is just as good as one 10 years younger .
As for depth i have not found anything deeper than my old one so either they are not there or its no deeper than the old one either?

As for the "american" problevm their big silver coins are no different to our big silver coins ! Both are big and made of silver!

On retrospect i think our freinds at minelab had more staff inventing hype and pre sales media interest than actually test in and improving their software a machine being blind to the very things its supposed to be finding is unforgivable with so many machines easily available today .The media hype has already started to manipulate buyers this new one maybe better (and the equinox fades from memory ) lol
Its weird in the 21st century a "waterproof" device can leak and it cannot be repaired as its not designed to be repaired but replaced ,until ofcourse your 2 years are up and it breaks down and goes in the bin ,hardly the best thing when the recycling nazis get involved
There is a lot of negative comments in this post. I don't often respond to them but some of the things about the performance can be easily rectified and the solutions are worth restating.

Almost all new machines have glitches so I am amazed that only one software one has turned up and pleased that it was fixed so quickly. Lots of technology now has non repairable modules, that is part of the reason that they are waterproof and robust. The most worrying thing about the design so far as been the coil lugs.

Using 3 tones effectively means that you are relying on the numbers and a bleep to ID targets. 50 tones with numbers and experience may not suit everybody but it gives you a lot more information about a target.

I would expect most Settings would be the same in whatever Mode you are in. Even if they are not once you are familiar with the controls a complete reprogramme from scratch takes well under a minute so any time loss is minimal. It is easy to press a button by accident though and twice recently I have helped newbies who have accidentally set the Sensitivity in single figures, which is far too low.

I would have thought that most interference could be sorted out by manually finding a quiet chanel in the noise control. The only time that I ever had problems that couldn't be sorted out like that and I had to resort to a single channel was within about 30 meters of a large communications mast.

You really shouldn't be digging much iron at all with the Nox. There are various ways to achieve this. I set the Tone 1 volume and sound on 1 and all iron then gives a quiet grunt and can be ignored unless you want to dig it. Iron Bias also affects how much iron that you dig as does using All Metal.

You didn't mention what your old detector was or how long you have been using the Nox so I can't really comment upon your other statements about depth and finds other than to say they are not the same as my experiences.
Equinox 800 x2

Return to β€œMinelab Equinox Forum”