Equinox Ground Balance, Swing Speed and Noise. Warning Geeky

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
fred

Equinox Ground Balance, Swing Speed and Noise. Warning Geeky

Post by fred » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:02 pm

The detecting was a tad slow today so I took the opportunity to have a play with some of the settings on the Nox. I concentrated on the noise issue that seem to plague some people. For a relatively simple machine there seems to be a lot of possibile permutations for the settings. but by the time that I had finished I'd managed to get the Nox absolutely stable, I was finding targets that had previously been missed by the Nox and other detectors and was pinpointing targets as small as single lead shotgun pellet while digging virtually no iron. Please feel free to argue disagree or make suggestions because that is how we are going to learn the Nox together. ::g

If your machine seems to be set up OK but is still noisy there are four likely causes: sensitivity too high, lots of iron signals, incorrect ground balance or the wrong swing speed.

Sensitivity should be set as high as you can get away with, 21 seems about the highest that I can manage at the moment. Turning it down a click or two doesn’t seem to affect the detecting but it does quieten the machine down a little.

The Nox manual advises that ground balancing is not necessary and you should just leave it set on 0. My own experience suggests differently. Obviously in some situation 0 might be a perfectly good setting but I always ground balance to be on the safe side.

The ground balance, the presence of small iron signals and swing speed can all be tested together. Firstly swing the detector with the Tone 1 volume set at 3 over a small piece of ground from which any obvious nonferrous and large iron targets have been removed . You may well hear low and high tones. Adjust your swing speed until the sounds are at their minimum and remember the speed, you can adjust it later but this is likely to be more or less your optimum swing speed and it should be fairly slow.

Next lower the Tone 1 volume to 0 and swing again at the remembered speed. The iron tones will have been quietened to almost nothing but if you are still getting more than the occasional squawk or chirp then you probably need to ground balance.

The Nox can be ground balanced manually, automatically or you can use ground balance tracking. I have used all three and prefer the automatic option although manual seems to get to about the same place but with a bit more effort. Even tracking seems ok but it takes processor power that I’d rather direct elsewhere.

Once you have finished this sequence you can either detect with Tone 1 volume on 0 or 1. In the former you won’t hear iron but might miss very small positive signals near iron. I also found that in it I could reduce the Recovery Speed to 2, which probably meant a tad more depth, and still have a sharp signal. With Tone 1 volume on 1 you will just hear iron, which might be annoying if there is a lot of it and the Recovery Speed can’t really be reduced below 3 without causing the target to widen and the target sound to fluctuate a bit. It is very stable though.

PS You don't need to do this every time as most of the settings are saved when you turn off. Just turn on, noise control, ground balance and off you go. :D

Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Sweep 88

Re: Equinox Ground Balance, Swing Speed and Noise. Warning Geeky

Post by Sweep 88 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks fred , I will try this . Good advise as usual. ::g
Arado 120b. Tesoro Toltec 100 . Tesoro Cortez . Minelab Safari + Detech 13" coil.
C Scope 1220XD. Teknetics T2 LTD Cors Cannon Coil + Mars Tiger. Garrett Pinpointer.
Minelab Equinox 800.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Hi Fred ::g , As you may know, I'm not a Nox user but I do like to keep abreast of new user/operator information 'just in case' :D Your various findings on the subject is always of interest. - Thanks ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Many thanks Fred. You've put in a heck of a lot of work again and it is appreciated ::g
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b
A stick with a plastic ring at one end and an eternal optimist at the other!

skythepig

Post by skythepig » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks Fred that's a lot of info to take in but it's all good knowledge to know when using the Nox 800.
Thanks again for sharing
XP Deus Lite, a whole new ball game
Equinox 800 still learning but getting there
Sovereign Elite
Bad Back and dodgy knees

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks for a bit more insight re the NOX Fred.

I did get out yesterday and today felt a little deflated by the result. Great weather, great scenery, 3 fields to choose from and guess what ? I chose the one with all the iron. But not a total waste because it tested my settings and the up-date.
I’m pleased to report, I knew there was loads of iron because using All Metal, I could hear the threshold blanking. The only time I actually had a Tone was when I switched all metal off. That was also a good result. Changing T1 to -2 took the tones closer to the target number for iron, just what I wanted. I think they were quieter as well.

I was amazed at not finding anything domestic, not even a button. Maybe they used string :-O
Only 3 false signals. 2 X 14 both plough shears, 1 X 16 pointy thing, probably off a Harrow.

At last, just before I got back to farmhouse, a good signal, 23, a chunk of lead. Ah well you can’t win em all !

p.s. forgot to mention, it does pick up coke on number 1 :-O
Last edited by Ladybird66 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swany

Post by Swany » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:22 pm

Nice info there Fred, thanks for posting, going to print and take it with me the next time I Nox ::g

fred

Post by fred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:35 am

Ladybird66 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 pm
Thanks for a bit more insight re the NOX Fred.

P.s. forgot to mention, it does pick up coke on number 1 :-O
Funnily enough I had a slow day yesterday too and also tested coke. I posted my results in the discussion that was going on. Basically I agree with number 1 but only in some modes. ::g

"Coke does give a signal on the Nox but only in Park 2 and Field 2, which explains why I'd never picked any up. The Target ID number for both of these is 1 but, using 50 tones, Park 1 gave a relatively high tone and Field 2 a lower tone. :D"

viewtopic.php?f=291&t=104663
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:46 am

Ah, that might explain things Fred. I have set up in Field 2 whereas I was using Field 1.
I hadn’t picked up coke before, even though I knew it was there. All my other fields on that farm have Maize so it’s been a while since getting into them.

Now the big question you can answer for me is, If I change back to using Field 1 will I have to re-enter my preferred settings again ?

(Being lazy here, I know it tells you in the bible)

fred

Post by fred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:53 pm

Ladybird66 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:46 am
Ah, that might explain things Fred. I have set up in Field 2 whereas I was using Field 1.
I hadn’t picked up coke before, even though I knew it was there. All my other fields on that farm have Maize so it’s been a while since getting into them.

Now the big question you can answer for me is, If I change back to using Field 1 will I have to re-enter my preferred settings again ?

(Being lazy here, I know it tells you in the bible)
All metal and noise control should always be done every time you turn on and it's a good idea to ground balance anyway. That doesn't actually leave much and most settings change universally so they will already be the same in Field 2, Anything that isn't univesal will need to be reset.

Personally I'd do a factory reset of Field 1 and start again anyway. If nothing else it will help you familiarise yourself with the settings so that reinstalling your preferences does't fill you with dread! :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”