Equinox "Masterclass" Video

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
slowsweep

Re: Equinox "Masterclass" Video

Post by slowsweep » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:52 pm

there is no substitute for reading the instructions and getting out with any machine not just the equinox, other peoples programs are just that, other peoples honed for their land.

lazy people will always look for shortcuts and never really understand their machines.

GL&HH

Just dig it and put your mind at rest

fred

Post by fred » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:13 am

fred wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:06 am
Swany wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 am
fred wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Fully agree. I had a lot of reservations about some of the well known offerings for the CTX too. It isn't that they won't find stuff, they certainly will, but it's what they are missing along the way that concerned me. :D
I think the killer programme is possibly the one mentioned in here, which I have been using and tweaking sensitivity, iron bias and recovery, I find it works well and don't think i'm missing much.

http://pmdg.org.uk/files/Gordon-Heritag ... ograms.pdf
I agree, with that setup combined with a good technique you (and the Nox) certainly shouldn't miss much that you have within range. I have nothing against other peoples programmes but just think that they need to be regarded with caution and shouldn't replace getting to know your machine. i would point out that because of the relatively limited range of adjustments possible on a Nox once you start tweaking more than a setting or two it rapidly becomes an entirely new programme anyway. :D

In particular have a shufti at the Recovery Speed and Iron Bias on the published programme. I reckon that they both affect depth quite severely and for maximum depth they need to be as low as you are comfortable with. 10 percent or so extra depth may not make that much difference but on my well hammered pasture fields it can be fairly critical. Having the Iron Bias set high might also affect the sensitivity to very small or low conductivity targets.

I am also a bit wary about claims that you don't need to ground balance a Nox. Perhaps not to start with but once you start to pick out the almost impercetible whispers that indicate very deep targets an absolutely stable ground balance is essential. :D

As I said it is just the way that I choose to detect and I've never claimed that it will suit everybody. ::g
As if by magic there is a bloke from Minelab on Youtube explaining Iron Bias. Search Minelab Equinox Iron Bias Cee and you should find it. ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Duplicate post!
Last edited by Ten pence! on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:01 pm

Ten pence! wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 pm
In particular have a shufti at the Recovery Speed and Iron Bias on the published programme. I reckon that they both affect depth quite severely and for maximum depth they need to be as low as you are comfortable with. 10 percent or so extra depth may not make that much difference but on my well hammered pasture fields it can be fairly critical. Having the Iron Bias set high might also affect the sensitivity to very small or low conductivity targets.

I am also a bit wary about claims that you don't need to ground balance a Nox. Perhaps not to start with but once you start to pick out the almost impercetible whispers that indicate very deep targets an absolutely stable ground balance is essential. :D

As I said it is just the way that I choose to detect and I've never claimed that it will suit everybody. ::g

I have a comprehensive test garden buried in my lawn so I've done some recent testing with my 600, firstly the loss of depth with a high recovery speed (3 max on my machine) is minimal, less than half an inch, same with high iron bias, slowing down your swing speed will make up for any lost depth under field conditions and will bring those brief sounding deep targets to the fore, in fact my tests confirm that the best performance in the field (my fields!) is a set up with fast recovery speed and the lowest iron bias setting, why? Set iron bias to high and you'll be masking those deeper targets you are after if there is ferrous in the vicinity, additionally sensitivity can be upped slightly to cancel out any perceived loss of depth.

Here are my settings, and I'll explain the reasoning behind them.

Field 2, Minelab say this is best for hammered coins, probably given all else being equal.

"Horseshoe" all metal mode in Field 2, see below.

Iron volume, set to one, you can then hear all those non desirable targets, but only just.

Tones, set to highest volume 25, this easily overpowers the iron rumbling away in the background.

Iron bias on the lowest setting, yes you will occasionally dig a large rusty bent nail, but you'll not miss airgun pellets or percussion caps or tiny hammered!

Recovery speed, the fastest, 3 on my machine equivalent to 6 on the 800.

Sensitivity, as high as you can stand, I can usually manage 21-22 with an occasional 24, again you don't lose much effective depth under field conditions.

Tones 5, multi tones just sounds like a parrot in a blender to me!

No threshold tone.

When searching you have the faint sound of iron burbling away in the background, any decent targets stand out nicely, plus you can see the minus numbers if you suspect an iffy target, I've
so far found this kind of set up to be both good depth wise, not overly distracting, and of course there is less chance of masking good targets if there is iron around, personally I'll happily trade a small amount of depth for better unmasking and stability.
[/quote]

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Ten pence! wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:01 pm

Field 2, Minelab say this is best for hammered coins, probably given all else being equal.

"Horseshoe" all metal mode in Field 2, see below.

Iron volume, set to one, you can then hear all those non desirable targets, but only just.

Tones, set to highest volume 25, this easily overpowers the iron rumbling away in the background.

Iron bias on the lowest setting, yes you will occasionally dig a large rusty bent nail, but you'll not miss airgun pellets or percussion caps or tiny hammered!

Recovery speed, the fastest, 3 on my machine equivalent to 6 on the 800.

Sensitivity, as high as you can stand, I can usually manage 21-22 with an occasional 24, again you don't lose much effective depth under field conditions.

Tones 5, multi tones just sounds like a parrot in a blender to me!

No threshold tone.
That is pretty close to my 800 settings, although I run mine a little smoother, lower reaction, higher iron bias, sens, at 23, five tones, and accept reject -9 to 1, I do run some threshold ::g

I like these settings, which is important, and I am certain I am not missing much, if indeed anything on the land I go out on.

BM [:)
Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:42 pm

Great minds think alike! :D

butehawk

Post by butehawk » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:36 pm

In defence of Derek,
I was at the dig where the "masterclass" was videoed and it was meant for the detectorist that were at the dig. I am sure that it was never meant to be broadcast over the internet, but I could be wrong.
Derek has more time with the Equinox than anybody else that I know of and freely gives his time to answer detectorists questions about anything to do with the detector.
The video was not made with any fancy equipment and as such the quality is as it is.

Had my say.

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:21 pm

butehawk wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:36 pm
In defence of Derek,
I was at the dig where the "masterclass" was videoed and it was meant for the detectorist that were at the dig. I am sure that it was never meant to be broadcast over the internet, but I could be wrong.
Derek has more time with the Equinox than anybody else that I know of and freely gives his time to answer detectorists questions about anything to do with the detector.
The video was not made with any fancy equipment and as such the quality is as it is.

Had my say.
Well said - the man may know what he is talking about and I guess it must have been of benefit to those present at that dig - but he shouldn't give up his day job and become a video producer :) Put something in the public domain and the public will see it...

Phil
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

Polaris100

Post by Polaris100 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:04 pm

I found this comment from slowsweep quite interesting:

"lazy people will always look for shortcuts and never really understand their machines."

Being fairly new to detecting and brand new to an Equinox I'm keen to listen to any advice/information available. I didn't just jump into a car at 17 and see if I could drive it properly and gladly aircraft pilots don't adopt this method of learning too. We both took lessons. I admit that ultimately people like me must spend the time to fine tune their machine but for a new starter I can say that helpful advice from experienced detectorists is gladly accepted and considered. Being only able to spend a few days a month in northern pasture land, which is pretty thinly populated with finds, the less time I spend repeating mistakes the better. Thanks to those offering such good advice.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”