Equinox and EMI?

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
john Colin

Equinox and EMI?

Post by john Colin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:28 pm

I have been detecting a field on and off (Pasture) for the last five years, unfortunately, the adjacent fields are used by hundreds of free-range chickens. Unfortunate because they are protected by an electric fence used to deter predators. I suffer from EMI (Electric Magnetic Interference) to the point my Deus is useless and only allows me to detect a small amount of the ground available. I have tried all coils, frequencies and frequency shifts with the Deus but the problem persists.

My question is, does anyone have experience using the Equinox in an area polluted by EMI and how does it cope? The field in question has thrown up some excellent deep finds in the past so I have every expectation the undetectable area (three acres) will also have many finds. I have had my finger hovering over the “make payment button” to purchase the Equinox for a week when it occurred to me to ask those who may know. As much as I would like to invite a friend to try his, my agreement with the landowner is for me only. I would be uneasy borrowing expensive equipment and would not be happy doing so.
Thanks for any help.
JC

johntp

Re: Equinox and EMI?

Post by johntp » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi John all I can say is, using my equinox 800 on one of my pasture permissions with an electric fence there was EMI and I was forced to move about 5 to 10 meters away from the fence before the nox settled down. hope this helps.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Try noise cancelling with the coil pointed at the fence ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

fred

Post by fred » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:45 pm
Try noise cancelling with the coil pointed at the fence ::g

BM [:)
Maybe try a few times as electric fences pulse and the Noise Cancel can miss the pulse. I have also on occasion resorted to manually selecting a quiet channel using the +/- buttons. If you can find a completely quiet channel it is possible to work right up to the fences and even under them. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Skytriker

Post by Skytriker » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:17 pm

I’ve certainly had no problems near electric fences and on Friday I was right under national grid pylons with no issue. I noise cancelled with the coil pointing at the cables and cut sensitivity to 17. I still found a tiny watch winder right underneath the lines at about four inches.
The harder I try the luckier I get.

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:29 pm

I have a network of el fences on one of my fields (separating different areas for the horses), and they are powerful solar ones. Also an overhead wire. I had problems with the 400i and needed to keep a good few yards away, but the Nox has been much quieter after a noise cancel or a change to single frequency in the worst area. Can't say it doesn't still affect it, but definitely far better and usable even quite close.

Brad
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

john Colin

Post by john Colin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks very much everyone for contributing and sharing your knowledge. Noise canceling? I like the sound of that, so much so the Equinox 800 is on the way. I feel I have nothing to loose as I can't get within 40 metres of the fence at the moment. I will report back in the New Year on how I get on.

fred

Post by fred » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:06 am

Interestingly once the animals have been trained they don't go near the electric fences anyway. I do some of the electric fence repairs on one of our farms and the farmer told us to turn off the fences whenever we wanted to for both repairs and detecting. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:15 am

I have the 600 and live to one side of some National Grid power lines. The EMI from them is so strong I never needed to use the charger for my electric fence for my horse.
My horse - my field. Always the first port of call for testing new machines. First time out with the 600 it chattered more than I do (no rude remarks please) I thought OMG what have I bought, it’s hopeless. Then I did a bit of reading up on it and found the answer. Lower the sensitivity a notch or two. Magic, it worked like a dream.
Not ideal, I know, because most like to have the sens. as high as poss. but it’s a compromise.
Noise cancel doesn’t always knock out everything but is usualy as much as you need in most areas without power lines or electric fences.
Best of luck with your 800 I’m sure you’ll love it.

Natroxz

Post by Natroxz » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:07 am

And try different modes, I find that you can go higher on Sens in a EMI sone when on Beach2.

Crocket

Post by Crocket » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:08 am

Hi you've probably thought of this but could you have a small window to detect when the birds go to slaughtere and the fence is switched off .

Detectski

Post by Detectski » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 pm

Turn the fence off?

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:03 am

Hi all. I have just returned from a trip to Spain, this year i took my Nox 800 as its much lighter than my Safari. Most beaches i used it it was stable but when i was on a beach in a town one part of the beach it was making so much noise that it was almost impossible to detect in multi mode, i looked around and on top of a 20 floor hotel was a Telephone mast plus many other emi bits plus all the internet cafes along this stretch of beach ,i was about 200 ft from the cafes but a long way from the mast. I tried everything but it would not have it in multi ,it was a bit quieter on 5 or 15 freq. but not gone total. I also had this problem on 2 other beaches but could not see a mast around ( possible hidden ) . Interesting i have not had this problem before with the Safari in the same area, i expect the nox is using different freq. and more sensitive. It was so bad i thought my nox was packing up, honestly . Most beaches had too much sand but the nox did find some deep items, pity about the sand must pray more for a storm next time. I am feeling cold now as it was about 19-20 deg. there. Happy xmas all. beachboy 70 Pete :E

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:58 am

Thinking about this EMI problem for the last few days, the only thing i never tried was to turn off the Bluetooth, could that help to reduce chatter or is that the main problem. Anyone out there has the same problem with EMI have you tried that ? or if you get the chance to give it a go see if that helps, i will give it a go as soon as i have the chance to see if it helps. cheers all . beachboy70 ( Pete ) ::g

Skytriker

Post by Skytriker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:08 am

Given what I had previously posted about EMI, I was surprised when, yesterday, the 800 was chattering madly when under national grid lines. I checked noise cancel and ground balance, while reducing sensitivity, but still it chattered. I then decided to try other settings, moving away from Field 1. Immediately upon changing to Field 2 the chattering stopped and I made a few unremarkable coin finds right underneath the power lines. I haven’t included my personal settings as I doubt they had anything to do with it.
The harder I try the luckier I get.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”