A not so brief guide to the Equinox 800 on land. Field 1. Plus 2 additions

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Ianely

Re: A not so brief guide to the Equinox 800 on land. Field 1. Plus 1 addition

Post by Ianely » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:18 pm

What a fantastic and helpful piece of work this is ... of the many articles and write-ups to read about the Equinox, I have found this the most lucid and easy to understand.

Thank you Fred for creating a great reference piece

Ianely

spazzyken

Post by spazzyken » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:24 pm

What a guy to take the time out to help us all out with the settings mine are very close sensativity can run 24,25 as it's very quiet on the land,threshold 7 ,recovery 2,3 and really dig on what I hear as I learnt from my t2.I don't mind digging bits of iron as in my opinion that's how you learn the machine and get deep finds that the machine was telling you it was iron but when you get near it,it becomes a good signal.I have proved the horseshoe button wrong a few times so I don't rely on it too much just go with your ears and dont forget alot of them buzzes are beeps.a big thanks Fred cheers ken
Roman finds x43
Silver x5
Roman silver x6
Hammered. X7
Gold x1
Roman coins x7
Silver x1
Hammered x9
Gold
Bronze axe x1

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:35 pm

Great write up fred! My other half got me interested in metal detecting last April. She has owned a Deus for a few years and after a little research i got on the waiting list for a nox 800 ( didnt want to get the same ;) ).
After looking at a few Utube videos i tried Sids settings but just got totally confused to be honest and then a while later came across the Searcher settings and tried them out. Wow what a breath of fresh air and after a while i had the confidence to start adjusting some settings and saving them.
Now im pretty confident in the nox on the permissions i use .. (farmers fields) .
I think my settings are now evolved into something quite similar to yours Fred which im very pleased about. Kind of a stamp of approval from one of the many experts on here. ::g
Quid adfers? LXXXIII viverra anulum tizer !

Nox 800
15" coil
CMD Carbon Fibre stem

Bargeman

Re: A not so brief guide to the Equinox 800 on land. Field 1. Plus 2 additions

Post by Bargeman » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:39 pm

It wasn't a good day!

The ground had never been plowed according to the farmer, and this was verified by the fact that even fairly modern finds were really quite deep, the soil itself was very soft, and surprisingly quiet.
But did I find anything using Freds famous fields settings? Well yes I did thank you for asking ::g

I found a cartwheel penny, a very very deep fired musket ball, and a small lead token with a portcullis on one side (I can't show you this as I gave it to the farmer) Now I have to say Freds settings are totally alien to me, and nothing like my usual five tones field 2 setup, but I stuck with it for the morning, will I stick with it for good, well the jury is out on that one x;

Something I did notice though, if I got an iffy scratchy signal using Freds settings, and I then swapped to my field 2 settings, the signal would clear right up and could become a decider in do I, or don't I, dig.

An interesting experiment, and one I shall try again when I have time to test all signals against each other before digging. ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

fred

Post by fred » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:39 pm
It wasn't a good day!

The ground had never been plowed according to the farmer, and this was verified by the fact that even fairly modern finds were really quite deep, the soil itself was very soft, and surprisingly quiet.
But did I find anything using Freds famous fields settings? Well yes I did thank you for asking ::g

I found a cartwheel penny, a very very deep fired musket ball, and a small lead token with a portcullis on one side (I can't show you this as I gave it to the farmer) Now I have to say Freds settings are totally alien to me, and nothing like my usual five tones field 2 setup, but I stuck with it for the morning, will I stick with it for good, well the jury is out on that one x;

Something I did notice though, if I got an iffy scratchy signal using Freds settings, and I then swapped to my field 2 settings, the signal would clear right up and could become a decider in do I, or don't I, dig.

An interesting experiment, and one I shall try again when I have time to test all signals against each other before digging. ::g

Cheers for the feedback. The point of this articles was for relative newbies to consider the settings as a possible starting point on the Nox adventure. ::g Seasoned Noxateers like yourself have probably already arrived at your own comfortable solution anyway but there may be something worth pilfering. :D

What we have noticed is that once somebody has found an iffy signal with the Nox it is usually possible to get it with various other Nox programmes even if it didn't find it before. I suspect that this is mostly down to the fact that the Minelab wiggle that we use to isolate a signal and pinpoint uses the full range of swing speeds so if it can be found it will be. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:25 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:39 pm
It wasn't a good day!

Field 2 gives a better signal on smaller targets and will find them slightly deeper, I'm not guessing here I've tried F1 and F2 back to back on my finds garden, some are less keen on F2 because you get a bit more chatter, which should be reduced by dropping the sensitivity a bit, it's a bit noisier because according to the manual it weighted towards higher frequencies, hence the better performance on small or difficult targets.

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:32 pm

Ten pence! wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:25 pm
Field 2 gives a better signal on smaller targets and will find them slightly deeper, I'm not guessing here I've tried F1 and F2 back to back on my finds garden, some are less keen on F2 because you get a bit more chatter, which should be reduced by dropping the sensitivity a bit, it's a bit noisier because according to the manual it weighted towards higher frequencies, hence the better performance on small or difficult targets.
I've tested in the same way, and find no discernible difference :-/

I have quite a few hammered pennies in the testbeds, at various depths, flat and on edge, plus a cut half and quarter, and don't notice any difference between F1 and F2.

Ianely

Post by Ianely » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Would you use the same settings for different size coils Fred ?

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:07 pm

I have by reading posts of many people learned a lot about the setting up of the nox 800. Still sometimes get mixed up with what some of the icons are for but in general I'm ok with adjusting it although I've not strayed far from factory settings or those of more competent detectorists.

One thing I do struggle with is ground balance. I never seem to get the results/readings the manual says I should. I usually end up making sure it's on zero and leave it at that. Never tried detecting in all metals as yet but I do sometimes switch to all metal once a target is found.

Fred, do you have an idiot guide to setting ground balance.

fred

Post by fred » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Ianely wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:22 pm
Would you use the same settings for different size coils Fred ?
I up the Response Speed to 4 with the larger coil to aid pinpointing. :D
Equinox 800 x2

fred

Post by fred » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Dangerous Norman wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:07 pm
I have by reading posts of many people learned a lot about the setting up of the nox 800. Still sometimes get mixed up with what some of the icons are for but in general I'm ok with adjusting it although I've not strayed far from factory settings or those of more competent detectorists.

One thing I do struggle with is ground balance. I never seem to get the results/readings the manual says I should. I usually end up making sure it's on zero and leave it at that. Never tried detecting in all metals as yet but I do sometimes switch to all metal once a target is found.

The manual can't possibly know what your ground balance will be. ::g Find a clear bit of ground with no iron signals (you will need all metal on to check). Go to the Ground Balance setting then press and hold down the tick/cross button on the right whilst repeatedly raising and lowering the machine a foot or so. In a few seconds when the numbers settle down release the button. You should be ground balanced! ::g Plenty on Youtube about how to do it. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:14 pm

fred wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:27 pm
Dangerous Norman wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:07 pm

The manual can't possibly know what your ground balance will be. ::g Find a clear bit of ground with no iron signals (you will need all metal on to check). Go to the Ground Balance setting then press and hold down the tick/cross button on the right whilst repeatedly raising and lowering the machine a foot or so. In a few seconds when the numbers settle down release the button. You should be ground balanced! ::g Plenty on Youtube about how to do it. :D
yep, that's what the manual says but when I try it the tones and numbers don't change and ground balance stays at zero. Tried a few times with similar results. Either the ground balance needs to be the same wherever I go or I'm doing something wrong. I assumed the latter. Will try again next time.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:09 pm

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:32 pm
Ten pence! wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:25 pm
I've tested in the same way, and find no discernible difference :-/

I have quite a few hammered pennies in the testbeds, at various depths, flat and on edge, plus a cut half and quarter, and don't notice any difference between F1 and F2.
I'd try the test again, even the excellent manual says F2 is the better choice here.............

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 am

Ten pence! wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:09 pm
I'd try the test again, even the excellent manual says F2 is the better choice here.............

So it might, but so far I'm not convinced that there's much/any difference.

Maybe when the evenings are lighter and the ground is baked solid, I'll give it another try. Meanwhile, F1's delivering very nicely ::g

fred

Post by fred » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:25 am

Dangerous Norman wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:14 pm

yep, that's what the manual says but when I try it the tones and numbers don't change and ground balance stays at zero. Tried a few times with similar results. Either the ground balance needs to be the same wherever I go or I'm doing something wrong. I assumed the latter. Will try again next time.

Setting the Ground Balance on 0 will work but it might be noisy or you may have to reduce the Sensitivity quite a lot to stabilise it.

What mode are you using? Are you sure that you're not accidentally switching tracking ground balance on and off, it's quite easy to do? (Indicated by horizontal bar with wriggley line through it on top right hand corner of screen) Have you tried doing a manual ground balance? :D

There is an excellent guide on Ground Balancing by Wayne Etcetera on Youtube (but others there too). :D Here's the link to it:

Equinox 800 x2

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:33 pm

It's also worth adding that if you use manual ground balance you'll get different numbers in different modes, the same as with noise cancel, in fact I've not found a big difference between using the 0 default setting and using a manually obtained setting, the only advantage is it will quieten the machine down a tad, which imo is worth the rather minimal effort involved in doing a GB!

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:41 pm

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 am
Ten pence! wrote:

Maybe when the evenings are lighter and the ground is baked solid, I'll give it another try. Meanwhile, F1's delivering very nicely ::g
With all my previous machines I've found "anomalies" with the settings that were not mentioned in the manual, I've not found this to be the case with the Nox, it's clearly a well sorted detector with no hidden or unexepected bear traps to catch out the owner, in the early days I thought I'd "discovered" some magical setting only to find later on it was there in black and white in the handbook!

fred

Post by fred » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:52 am

Ten pence! wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:41 pm
Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 am
Ten pence! wrote:

With all my previous machines I've found "anomalies" with the settings that were not mentioned in the manual, I've not found this to be the case with the Nox, it's clearly a well sorted detector with no hidden or unexepected bear traps to catch out the owner, in the early days I thought I'd "discovered" some magical setting only to find later on it was there in black and white in the handbook!

Not so much bear traps as features. There are some combinations of settings which do seem to produce unexpected results, not bad but just unexpected. I won't detail these until I'm sure about what I'm seeing. I certainly agree that the manual is better than most. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:01 am

I have a problem with that video. This is nothing to do with Fred by the way, as this thread is a great service to those who are new, or even a more experienced user to the Equinox, but with the person who made the video.
If you are going to make a video explaining how to use functions on the relevant equipment, then at least read the manual and do it correctly. Noise cancel according to the manual, should be done with the coil off the ground, not resting on the ground.
The manual which can be found in the Equinox section of this very site, is well written and fairly easy to understand, so if you read the manual to get a grasp of what the basic settings do, and then come back and use / incorporate Fred's excellent Field one guide, you will progress quicker out in the field.
The Nox is a great detector, people's confusion comes from a lack of understanding, and trying to run at full speed before the walking bit is mastered. Something I am sure we are all guilty of from time to time :D ::g

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:26 am

Bargeman wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:01 am
If you are going to make a video explaining how to use functions on the relevant equipment, then at least read the manual and do it correctly. Noise cancel according to the manual, should be done with the coil off the ground, not resting on the ground.

That was also Minelab's advice with Noise Cancel on the CTX, but Andy Sabisch and others are of the opinion that the CTX manual gives the wrong advice, and performing NC with the coil flat on the ground in an area with no metal beneath is more efficient.

I can't imagine that the NC on the Nox works any differently.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:26 am

That was also Minelab's advice with Noise Cancel on the CTX, but Andy Sabisch and others are of the opinion that the CTX manual gives the wrong advice, and performing NC with the coil flat on the ground in an area with no metal beneath is more efficient.

That may well be true, but if you know the functionality of the Equinox well enough to make an informed decision on how it is best to noise cancel, you are hardly likely to be watching an information video on how to do a ground balance.

fred

Post by fred » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:35 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:10 pm
Buriedbytime&dust wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:26 am

That may well be true, but if you know the functionality of the Equinox well enough to make an informed decision on how it is best to noise cancel, you are hardly likely to be watching an information video on how to do a ground balance.

In fairness the video was supposed to be only about ground balancing. The probable reason that he did a noise control is because you are supposed to do it every time that you turn the Nox on etc. ::g

As often as not I noise cancel while walking to or immediately on arrival at the site. I tend to hold the machine and the headphones as near to any obvious source of interference as possible. In the case of overhead power lines that is in the air. I can't actualy say that I've actually noticed much difference about when or how a noise cancel is done though. Obviously if you do suddenly get any interference or instability the first thing to do, simply because it is so easy, is another noise control. After that it is a good look at the ground balance and sensitivity. :D

Even though I regard the Nox manual as being much better than average I am always a bit sceptical of what manuals say. As an example the conventional wisdom was that the CTX should never have both fast and deep turned on at the same time. I found that the way that I had the machine set up having both on was brilliant. It went very deep as well as giving dead accurate pinpointing. Turn off just deep and some signals disappeared and turn off just fast and the signal was too wide to dig down 18" or more with the accuracy and speed needed on sand. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Gav1n157

Post by Gav1n157 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi Fred

Just used your settings and had a fabulous day...

Dug .... chunky lead size of a 50p 18" down..
Silver rings child's size couple of coins girl guides badge 1920s

And the wife found a leather purse 12" down with four sixpence and a penny....
So I would say your settings work well
Iron Bias 2
Recovery Speed 4
Sensitivity 20/22

👏👏👏👏

fred

Post by fred » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:07 pm

Gav1n157 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:29 pm
Hi Fred

Just used your settings and had a fabulous day...

Dug .... chunky lead size of a 50p 18" down..
Silver rings child's size couple of coins girl guides badge 1920s

And the wife found a leather purse 12" down with four sixpence and a penny....
So I would say your settings work well
Iron Bias 2
Recovery Speed 4
Sensitivity 20/22

👏👏👏👏

Very glad to hear that you did OK. Like most machines there are no magic programmes, just ones which work for you on your sites. If you regard my settings as a starting point you shouldn't go far wrong. ::g ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Crocket

Post by Crocket » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:26 pm

Another thumbs up to your regrade Fred from me , many thanks it got me back on track . I'd tried differant programs of you tube and got my self in a state , 800 not working right . I did a factory reset loaded your program and yes a nice smooth machine picking up a couple of Viccy coins and one or two other bits , cheers Fred . ::g

Trickieshep

Post by Trickieshep » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:52 pm

I have been using the settings you quoted for the last 3 weekends and have found them to be very useful.

I seem to be getting deeper smaller targets and I am digging more of the lower numbers.

After reading lots of articles on Nox settings and watching numerous videos, I have found these to be the best to date.

Using the machine in all metal mode is taking some getting used to but I will persist.

Many thanks for the in depth and comprehensive post.

chrisfran

Post by chrisfran » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:35 pm

great read just bought one many thanks

fred

Post by fred » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:09 pm

chrisfran wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:35 pm
great read just bought one many thanks

Be a wee bit patient and it should work out fine. ::g I've actually got an advanced programme and technique which works brilliantly to write up sometime. :D

Best of luck.
Equinox 800 x2

mcgold8363

Post by mcgold8363 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi Fred, I have posted something similar in the forum but wanted to post here as this is where I original got the query from.

I understand that you probably need a threshold level setting (as you suggest above, one that suits you), so that that you are hoping to go over an area (say on a large farmers field) which generally has quite a lot of threshold silences, as you will then know there is something or has been some thing around there in the past, when you then hear a decent tone it’s good to dig. If you have no threshold on at all you might just be walking over an active area that reads the same as if nothing was ever there as you can’t tell the difference?

But if All Metal is already set to on anyway, why do you need a threshold setting on as well?

Is this a daft question? I'm new.

fred

Post by fred » Wed May 15, 2019 9:44 pm

As answered on your other thread but worth adding here.

As already said it's up to you entirely. :D

I do use a threshold but hardly a constant ringing tone, more a very quiet low hum in the background. I tend to use the Nox set up as sparky as I can get away with and the threshhold helps me something to concentrate on when I am listening for tiny signals (remembering that I use All Metal so every signal is not a positive bleep). It also gives me a point of reference for positive signals as without one I find sudden noises a bit disconcerting. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”