Equinox Threshold Levels

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
mcgold8363

Equinox Threshold Levels

Post by mcgold8363 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:05 pm

OK, so I have pretty much got my head around everything (beginner level) with my new Nox 800, but I am still struggling with Threshold Levels, I have looked at videos and read online but I am still struggling to get my head around it.

What is exactly the benefit of having this set at say 1? Do I really want to walk around for hours with a constant ringing tone going?

If I am already ignoring the "bad tones" what is the benefit of hearing one constantly?

This might seem like a really stupid question to some but I literally don't understand.

Any help or insight would be appreciated. I am currently looking to use Fred's settings which advises that you set threshold to suit?? So I really want to have an answer and know the reasoning's as to what the threshold is and what i am benefiting from having it on.

Thanks in Advance for any responses.

littleboot

Re: Equinox Threshold Levels

Post by littleboot » Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 pm

I think you have answered your own question....
Do I really want to walk around for hours with a constant ringing tone going?
That's what Fred meant...if it don't suit you don't listen to it. :))
Some people like it in some situations. But I think for a Newbie and in normal circumstances then its best dispensed with.
It's certainly a matter of choice and not really worth letting it bother you. Its akin to a Newbie golfer wondering whether he needs to have a slightly more elevated Mashie Nibblick.
I don't bother listening to it on my permissions....there is enough going on for me to concentrate on already.
There is YT video by relicdirtyhands which explains threshold. But really, don't stress about it. I don't need to know all the ins and outs of how this computer works in order for it to do what I want of it.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

mrix
Founder

Re: Talk to me about Threshold Levels

Post by mrix » Wed May 15, 2019 3:42 pm

With a threshold hum you may benefit from hearing those faint signals and have the added bonus of knowing your machine is actually switched on ::g =))
For me personally it would drive me insane leaving it on and quite easily give me a headache, I much prefer quiet operation ::g
But as already mentioned its all personal preference ::g

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:17 pm

There are really only 2 benefits to having the threshold at ab audible lever.
1, as mrix has said, is if your on some really quiet ground (is there such a thing ? ) at least you know your machine is still working.
2, if you’ve got iron discriminated out when you do go over some the threshold will null.

Up to you it really serves no other purpose, that I’m aware of. Set low I find it a comfort. Turned it off on my Safari to try. I didn’t like the constant quiet, had to kept swinging over my spade to make sure the machines still working and I wasn’t missing anything x;
Last edited by Ladybird66 on Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed May 15, 2019 5:11 pm

Its very useful to find parts of s field that's had the mist activity. If you are on a very large field you can put the threshold on and pick a straight line. When the threshold starts to jump around start to grid that area. Keep doing that until you find a hotspot

Well that's how I use to use my old IDX

I think the main idea is to investigate signals that slightly increase but don't beep. Scrape the top off and see if the signal improves. Works well on ploughed and long grass where you can stomp it down. But not so much on say sheep pasture.

mcgold8363

Post by mcgold8363 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far guys I see Fred has all metal already on so isn’t this already helping get with finding the “hot” areas? What’s the benefit of having all metal on and a threshold?

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed May 15, 2019 8:13 pm

mcgold8363 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:46 pm
Thanks for the feedback so far guys I see Fred has all metal already on so isn’t this already helping get with finding the “hot” areas? What’s the benefit of having all metal on and a threshold?
There's more than one way to skin a cat. More of an either or. I don't see an advantage in both.

if you come from an old analogue detector, the threshold method will be more familiar.

As its recommended by MineLab for nugget hunting, I assume there is an advantage on tiny targets however I could well be wrong

read the comments. There's no right or wrong. Personally I cut a piece of alloy can 10mm x 10mm and glue it at an angle to the bottom of a stick. Then push it into the ground at the same angle so the target is horizontal.

then try different settings and try and swing normally over the target and see which you prefer.

fred

Post by fred » Wed May 15, 2019 9:26 pm

As already said it's up to you entirely. :D

I do use a threshold but hardly a constant ringing tone, more a very quiet low hum in the background. I tend to use the Nox set up as sparky as I can get away with and the threshhold helps me something to concentrate on when I am listening for tiny signals (remember that I use All Metal). It also gives me a point of reference for positive signals ans without one I find sudden noises a bit disconcerting. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Wed May 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Not a fan of using the threshold on the Nox, I just find it distracting, and having had one of the first Explorers threshold nulling always meant the machine was missing good targets in trashy soil.

Bad vibes for me! :))

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 pm

mcgold8363 wrote:
On a busy site running all metal and a threshold could be pretty noisy, you'd hear small iron either through the low tone or nulling, personally I always run some discrimination as none of my sites are especially devoid of signals, or mineralisation.

fred

Post by fred » Thu May 16, 2019 6:14 am

Ten pence! wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 pm
mcgold8363 wrote:
On a busy site running all metal and a threshold could be pretty noisy, you'd hear small iron either through the low tone or nulling, personally I always run some discrimination as none of my sites are especially devoid of signals, or mineralisation.

That's interesting.

One of the great features of the Nox is it's ability to identify iron with some certainty. It's not foolproof though so I always want to hear iron, even on beaches, although often it's not necessary to dig it. :D

In my experience All Metal will extend the depth by a couple of inches, however, the signals at depth will deteriorate and may not even be positive. These 'negative', but potentially good, targets have a very distinctive sound which you simply have to learn the hard way.

It seems to me that without All Metal on there is more of a cutoff at depth. In range iron still sounds off as a low thump but other signals are either good or they are just not there. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

fred

Post by fred » Thu May 16, 2019 6:38 am

Ten pence! wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:13 pm
Not a fan of using the threshold on the Nox, I just find it distracting, and having had one of the first Explorers threshold nulling always meant the machine was missing good targets in trashy soil.

Bad vibes for me! :))

If it's any consolation it's predecessor, the Sovereign series, had even worse nulling. :D

For me that issue has been largely addressed over the years by the vastly increased Recovery Speed. It may not be perfect but the Nox does some previously unimaginable things with targets near, on and under iron.
Equinox 800 x2

Mancave-man

Re: Equinox Threshold Levels

Post by Mancave-man » Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 pm

If it's any consolation it's predecessor, the Sovereign series, had even worse nulling. :D

For me that issue has been largely addressed over the years by the vastly increased Recovery Speed. It may not be perfect but the Nox does some previously unimaginable things with targets near, on and under iron.

Have to agree. My last Minelab machine was more that 5 years ago (a Safari) but the Equinox knocks spots off it on all counts. ::g

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”