Equinox Target Tones from Fred’s Settings

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
mcgold8363

Equinox Target Tones from Fred’s Settings

Post by mcgold8363 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Target Tone (50)
Target Tone Advanced (Tone 1:1)

What exactly does this mean In regards to the tones I am expecting to hear? I mean there are 50 regions? Am I expecting the higher the VDI reading the higher the tone? Or is it just two tones I will hear? A grunt or low tone for anything 0 and under? And a bing for anything 1 and above?
On the 50 tones setting above, i wasn’t sure if the settings just means there is not a great deal of difference between a tones sound made at 0 and say 1? With the tones becoming nicer the higher up the scale the reading is?

Sorry again, just trying to get a full understanding of what I’m dealing with and what it all means.

Easylife

Re: Target Tones from Fred’s Settings

Post by Easylife » Wed May 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Simply, in '50 tones' the higher the target number the higher the tone. The difference is noticeable between each tone.
Iron tone set to tone 1 with volume set at 1. x;
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

mcgold8363

Post by mcgold8363 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:21 pm

So if I hear a Tone with an ID of 1 it’s only a tiny improvement from my -9 to 0 range (which all have the same tone) but as the ID number increases the tones sound improves? So a nicer sound per ID segment?

Is that correct?

fred

Post by fred » Wed May 15, 2019 11:15 pm

mcgold8363 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:21 pm
So if I hear a Tone with an ID of 1 it’s only a tiny improvement from my -9 to 0 range (which all have the same tone) but as the ID number increases the tones sound improves? So a nicer sound per ID segment?

Is that correct?

Exactly as Easylife described. ::g Calling them nicer would be too subjective to be very helpful. The sound give you information about the target. Combined with other things like the number, the size and shape of the signal and the intensity of the sound you can get even more idea about the target. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Allectus

Post by Allectus » Wed May 15, 2019 11:23 pm

Don't dig by numbers. Dig any two-way signals REGARDLESS of tone!

A ;)
British by Birth - English by the Grace Of God.

spazzyken

Post by spazzyken » Thu May 16, 2019 12:23 am

My thoughts entirely Mr A I never dig by numbers I dig by what I hear cheers ken
Roman finds x43
Silver x5
Roman silver x6
Hammered. X7
Gold x1
Roman coins x7
Silver x1
Hammered x9
Gold
Bronze axe x1

fred

Post by fred » Thu May 16, 2019 5:59 am

As said. You walk past any vaguely decent signal at your peril.

Ignoring some signals may sometimes be necessary but leaving Anglo Saxon Thrymsas or other small gold bits for the next detectorist is probably being overly generous. :D
Equinox 800 x2

mcgold8363

Post by mcgold8363 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:06 am

I have to say I love this forum and found it to be the most informative and helpful so far, so I appreciate that.

When you are saying solid signal, i presume you mean a solid clear beep from any direction, yes?

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu May 16, 2019 9:10 am

mcgold8363 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:06 am
I have to say I love this forum and found it to be the most informative and helpful so far, so I appreciate that.

When you are saying solid signal, i presume you mean a solid clear beep from any direction, yes?
I`m not wishing to step on Fred's toes but Yes, I`d say thats what Fred is saying. ::g

mcgold8363

Re: Equinox Target Tones from Fred’s Settings

Post by mcgold8363 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:39 am

So if I have my threshold on so I can here it, should I be digging a variance in the threshold sound if there is no beep to accompany it?

Obviously it blanks out for items I don't want but what about a change in pitch? Should I be digging these if its not giving a solid tone alongside it?

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 am

Personally speaking, I think your dwelling on the Threshold too much. Just set the threshold to say 2 and leave it. Concentrate more now on the other settings.

PS, It`s the Sound from the " detected target "you want to be more concerned with than the sound of the threshold in the background. The threshold hum is what it is, a background sound, the Target sound is the more pronounced in your ears sound.
I have to be very careful about how I put a lot of this because it can easily be misinterpreted. :D

mcgold8363

Post by mcgold8363 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:13 pm

I really appreciate the help, I am just trying to learn as much as possible, so really the threshold is a comfort thing! to let you know there are items down there and it also helps you to locate potential hot spots. Apart from this I am just listening for clear tones that are clear when sweeping across both ways? ::g

dirtdigger1

Post by dirtdigger1 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:40 pm

Allectus wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:23 pm
Don't dig by numbers. Dig any two-way signals REGARDLESS of tone!

A ;)
Exactly!

I've dug TERRIBLE sounding low tones, only giving 1-2 on the VDI, that have turned out to be tiny bits of gold!

I've also dug targets that came in soooo high pitched, so high up on the vdi scale35+ that I would have bet my house it was a silver coin, but turned out to be something completely crazy shaped junk.

Just dig everything that give a nice repeatable tone.....even if it sounds depressingly super low tone and 1 on VDI....could be gold.

As for threshold....pfft!

Park, Field, and Beach Modes use a simplified type of threshold tone, i.e. a 'reference' threshold. It is a continuous background tone that will blank when a rejected target is detected. Without a reference threshold, a rejected target detection would be silent, and you would not be made aware of the target's existence.

For typical treasure detecting locations where there is often a large amount of trash in the ground, constant audio blanking may be disruptive.

Minelab recommends using a Threshold Level setting of 0 (off ) for Park, Field and Beach applications, unless you want to hear audio blanking.

Threshold, unless in gold mode, imho...is as much use as an Ace 250 on wet sand ::g :D

To sum up though, do what I do.....If in doubt....dig it out!! =D> :D

If it's gold, dance, scream and shout!! OooO rl;

Ok, i'll get my coat....

Bors

Post by Bors » Fri May 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Just found this scrap of info from an old friend of mine concerning the
" threshold" .. Some will agree and probably some will not.

" it's a reference threshold which allows you to hear the nulling out of the audio over rejected targets. That is it's sole purpose, nothing more, nothing less. Running a slight threshold when in all metal is an old habit I suffer from at times but really serves no purpose on the 800."

Mancave-man

Post by Mancave-man » Fri May 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Having used a Deus for five years and now using the Equinox 800, I quite like having the threshold. It feels like a comfort to have it after all those years of silence. Just my opinion though.

WeatherWitch

Post by WeatherWitch » Fri May 17, 2019 8:00 pm

I only do beaches and normally have threshold set at 4.
When at the water's edge and it's blowing a gale, it's nice to be reassured that it's actually working :D
CScope CS4PI
Equinox 800

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Fri May 17, 2019 8:33 pm

I have seen you post several threads asking for the ins and outs of settings etc. It strikes me forcibly that you are over-thinking things at this stage of a) you detecting experience and b) your acquaintance with the Nox.
You really do need to simply set it up according to some basic settings....an off-the-peg Field or Park 1 will do fine. Maybe the odd tweak from Fred's settings. THEN FORGET ABOUT IT. Forget about twiddling and fiddling and stressing and guessing.
Just go out and LISTEN to the noises and if you get a good steady repeatable dig it up. If you get an iffy (i.e. some aspects are repeatable but not all) dig it up. If you get a sound that is grunty and yodelly...dig it up. Dig and dig some more. Then you will know. After a few forays like that you will know what sounds are good targets and what iffy ones are worth a punt and which ones are a beeping waste of time.
Its not an exact science and it will never be. Good detectors a have a range of settings to suit a broad church of detectorists and their chosen environments. No one size fits all. And numbers are not the way forward. At all. You don't need em really you know. I was digging signals today and I couldn't tell you what number it rang up because I didn't look. :))
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 pm

Yup, agree with the above, my first fifteen hours in the field was in the recommended factory default mode, only after I had that baseline did I put the machine over my test garden and play around with the settings.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat May 18, 2019 8:51 am

Ten pence! wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 pm
Yup, agree with the above, my first fifteen hours in the field was in the recommended factory default mode, only after I had that baseline did I put the machine over my test garden and play around with the settings.
Absolutely. But there is a problem with the Nox. Not the Nox itself, which is a brilliant machine and a complete breeze to set up and so enjoyable to use for someone like yourself who has a thorough knowledge of how to get the best out of their detector. The problem, as ever, is with the users.
Thing is, the Nox is being sold as a machine that can be used 'straight out of the box'. Now to some extent it is. Put it in a pre-set and off you pootle. But the Nox, rather like the GMP, is deceptive in its apparent simplicity. We are seeing a lot of newbie Noxers struggling, especially if they start looking at settings on Youtube. Unlike a seasoned detectorist they don't know how to go about customising their machines for their own permissions...and inevitably try to run before they can walk. (I saw another thread on here where a complete newbie was going move on from a perfectly good machine he hadn't even used on his permission to buy a Nox.)
People ask questions if they have something that puzzles them...natural and right and we all like to help. But this is something more....basically there is no way answering a few questions can do what people seem to want: give them experience in the field. I think new inexperienced Noxers need to relax and stick with a pre-set for quite a while before they even consider twiddling. When they understand how the machine is performing in the pre-set then the questions that they ask are much more pertinent and much less general.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Bors

Post by Bors » Sat May 18, 2019 9:25 am

littleboot wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:51 am
Ten pence! wrote:
Absolutely. But there is a problem with the Nox. Not the Nox itself, which is a brilliant machine and a complete breeze to set up and so enjoyable to use for someone like yourself who has a thorough knowledge of how to get the best out of their detector. The problem, as ever, is with the users.
Thing is, the Nox is being sold as a machine that can be used 'straight out of the box'. Now to some extent it is. Put it in a pre-set and off you pootle. But the Nox, rather like the GMP, is deceptive in its apparent simplicity. We are seeing a lot of newbie Noxers struggling, especially if they start looking at settings on Youtube. Unlike a seasoned detectorist they don't know how to go about customising their machines for their own permissions...and inevitably try to run before they can walk. (I saw another thread on here where a complete newbie was going move on from a perfectly good machine he hadn't even used on his permission to buy a Nox.)
People ask questions if they have something that puzzles them...natural and right and we all like to help. But this is something more....basically there is no way answering a few questions can do what people seem to want: give them experience in the field. I think new inexperienced Noxers need to relax and stick with a pre-set for quite a while before they even consider twiddling. When they understand how the machine is performing in the pre-set then the questions that they ask are much more pertinent and much less general.

I`d go along with all of that. I think a lot of the time inexperienced detectorists new to a detector "overthink" things and become consumed with " I must understand everything all at once", when really that's not going to be possible as only experience of detectoring will give you that and you unless you`ve got an IQ of 147 your going to need to take things easy and just get out there and learn the detector by using it rather than trying to pack everything into your brain all at once .

WeatherWitch

Post by WeatherWitch » Sun May 19, 2019 4:39 pm

Bors wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:25 am
just get out there and learn the detector by using it rather than trying to pack everything into your brain all at once .

Just for fun, I did a test today on a new ish park (with permission)
I did a factory reset and used the preset Park 1 settings.
The only thing I touched was the threshold level (set to 4) as I like to hear the nulling and ran with all metal off.

I was pleasantly surprised - loads of decimal coins, plus the normal junk, pull tabs, bottle tops etc.
What stuck out was, I got zero falsing in the 3 hours I was out!

So, as others have wisely said, use the standard settings and get out there, have fun and dig stuff.

The advanced settings won't go away and you can tweak whatever suits your taste when you understand the machine.
CScope CS4PI
Equinox 800

Bors

Post by Bors » Sun May 19, 2019 5:19 pm

WeatherWitch wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:39 pm
Bors wrote:
just get out there and learn the detector by using it rather than trying to pack everything into your brain all at once .

The only thing I touched was the threshold level (set to 4) as I like to hear the nulling and ran with all metal off.

I was pleasantly surprised - loads of decimal coins, plus the normal junk, pull tabs, bottle tops etc.

So, as others have wisely said, use the standard settings and get out there, have fun and dig stuff.

The advanced settings won't go away and you can tweak whatever suits your taste when you understand the machine.

Glad you're relaxing now and just "detecting" . ::g The Presets are quite good as far as settings are concerned and the whole Idea of Detecting is to just Detect without feeling under pressure that your not doing something right. The presets will at least give you a fighting chance.
Knowing when to change a setting will come more naturally eventually as it does with most things .
We`re all on the learning curve, it just takes time, and the less pressure you put yourself under to know all there is to know very quickly the better you`ll feel while detecting.

fred

Post by fred » Sun May 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Bors wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:19 pm
WeatherWitch wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:39 pm
Bors wrote:

Glad you're relaxing now and just "detecting" . ::g The Presets are quite good as far as settings are concerned and the whole Idea of Detecting is to just Detect without feeling under pressure that your not doing something right. The presets will at least give you a fighting chance.
Knowing when to change a setting will come more naturally eventually as it does with most things .
We`re all on the learning curve, it just takes time, and the less pressure you put yourself under to know all there is to know the better you`ll feel while detecting.

Agree totally. ::g About half a dozen or so trips out with any Mode that you choose should be enough convince you that you've made a good choice (or drive you to distraction). Either way in all probability you will start to wonder what else the Nox will do and feel the urge to fiddle with the settings. That is when to start to look at the advice available. :D
Equinox 800 x2

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Sun May 19, 2019 6:03 pm

littleboot wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:51 am
Ten pence! wrote:
That is absolutely right. The 'out of the box' thing is misleading. Theoretically, all machines are 'out of the box'... place a piece of metal on the floor, walk over it and wait for a bleep. Modern detectors are quite sensitive beasties and land/conditions, etc can only be experienced by use in the field. There are numerous questions on Facebook from people who have just purchased a nox: "What is the best setting for gold", and "What are the deepest settings on the nox", to name a couple. Probably explains why some machines find their way on the For Sale pages.
Asking questions is fine, and how we all benefit from 'trailblazers', but the real learning is by using it. One difference between this forum and many of the youtube videos is that people like Fred will explain WHY they have changed their settings and what they were trying to overcome.
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

ajb6864

Post by ajb6864 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:10 pm

The issue with many people's queries is they are trying to overcome imaginary problems. To ask for a solution to problems that they "may" encounter is a waste of time for both parties. When we have a real problem that we can't resolve ourselves should be the time we ask for advice/help.

Digiffys

Post by Digiffys » Sun May 19, 2019 9:15 pm

The out the box settings are not totally misleading,there set to find stuff on a general hunt basis. There not set for any particular country or site there just there to show that a the machine is worthy and can find a decent target/treasure or whatever, otherwise if it didn't the whole out the box machine could quite easily be questionable....it just has to work! doesnt it?Use this a a guide or starting point! Any alterations after this should be carried out from either what you've learnt,or tried /experimented with on your own particular site or test conditions etc. There is no one way of setting any machine as someone may also prefer a way a machine is running,sounding,performing etc to another. Quite simply ya just gona have to work it out for yourself! Bottom line is whatever machine you've brought its more than likely going to be very capable of fulfilling your requirements for most of your sites,the rest (learning)(hard part) is up to you 👍
History the best story yet!
Xp Deus
Teknetics G2+

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”