Nox pinpoint not central / accurate

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Guppy

Nox pinpoint not central / accurate

Post by Guppy » Sat May 18, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi all,

Still getting into the swing of things (pardon the pun) with my new nox 600 and I've noticed when digging after using pinpoint the finds seen to be located in the wall of my hole and always to right. I would say my holes are between 8"-10" wide which would make the accuracy of the pinpoint about 4"-5" out. Tried pinpointing on the surface and it works fine, just the buried objects seem way of target.

Anybody else experiencing this or any tips?

Cheers

Fusion

Re: Nox pinpoint not central / accurate

Post by Fusion » Sat May 18, 2019 7:50 pm

Make a target marker (and some spare ones) out of brightly-coloured card circles, about 60mm diameter. Pink is a good colour, it' stands out well, take a look at food packaging, cereal boxes etc.
Use it to mark the spot where you think the pinpoint is. Then sweep over the target/marker from all directions, and use pinpoint mode again. Move the marker as you revise your opinion of the sweetspot. Then dig. With practice, you'll improve your accuracy, and the marker will not be needed.

Don't forget that objects don't always magnetically appear to be where they are physically located. Particularly flat items like coins and buttons, which can appear to be a few inches off if they are tilted in the ground, which is highly likely.
Last edited by Fusion on Sat May 18, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:(

Bors

Post by Bors » Sat May 18, 2019 7:52 pm

I never use pinpoint. I just wait for the confirmation sound through the Headphones I`ve got a diggable target beneath the coil . Without using pinpoint ,I criss cross it looking at where the loudest sound is on the ground and do that N to S ,E to W then keep my eye on the loudest spot ,then Dig a 10" three sided cut sod with the loudest sound being in the centre of the Sod and hinge it over and 99.9 out of a 100 its in the hole or the Sod ,then use my pinpointer to zero in on it.. ::g That methods never let me down .

fred

Post by fred » Sat May 18, 2019 7:58 pm

Pinpointing requires a bit of practice. Do the Minelab wiggle in your normal operating setup and lock on to the target. It will then be immediately below the centre. If you continue to have difficulty increase the Response Speed a little to narrow the signal. Pinpointing with the 15 inch coil can be tricky but is pretty much spot on with the stock and smaller coils. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat May 18, 2019 10:45 pm

Guppy wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:52 pm
Hi all,

Still getting into the swing of things (pardon the pun) with my new nox 600 and I've noticed when digging after using pinpoint the finds seen to be located in the wall of my hole and always to right. I would say my holes are between 8"-10" wide which would make the accuracy of the pinpoint about 4"-5" out. Tried pinpointing on the surface and it works fine, just the buried objects seem way of target.

Anybody else experiencing this or any tips?

Cheers
I've been using a 600 for almost a year now, to be frank the pinpointing is poor compared to other machines I've got! I've tried every trick in the book and I still sometimes find targets in the sidewall of the hole for whatever reason, there was a software update that allegedly improved matters but some were then saying it caused problems with other parameters of the detectors performance, so I gave it a miss!

I went to a rally a few weeks ago and was chatting to another Equinox user about this, he claimed he had a technique that that solved the problem, I buried a bit of lead at six inches in anticipation of a tutorial and watched him also miss it by several inches! :D

If it's close to the surface it' often is in the middle of the coil, if it's six inches plus down or non round or circular you'll be digging a bit more than you expect!

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat May 18, 2019 11:15 pm

are you new to detecting or just new to the NOX ?

Koala

Post by Koala » Sat May 18, 2019 11:17 pm

Fusion wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:50 pm
Make a target marker (and some spare ones) out of brightly-coloured card circles, about 60mm diameter. Pink is a good colour, it' stands out well, take a look at food packaging, cereal boxes etc.
Use it to mark the spot where you think the pinpoint is. Then sweep over the target/marker from all directions, and use pinpoint mode again. Move the marker as you revise your opinion of the sweetspot. Then dig. With practice, you'll improve your accuracy, and the marker will not be needed.

Don't forget that objects don't always magnetically appear to be where they are physically located. Particularly flat items like coins and buttons, which can appear to be a few inches off if they are tilted in the ground, which is highly likely.
I just used a coloured top from a pop bottle when I started

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sat May 18, 2019 11:45 pm

Koala wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:15 pm
Been detecting since 1975! Did some pasture today, not wishing to leave messy holes and dirt stains on the grass I left the Nox at home and took the GMP out, now that can pinpoint accurately and I can guarantee the target will be in the plug or still in the bottom of the hole! :D

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Sun May 19, 2019 12:17 am

Koala wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Fusion wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:50 pm

I just used a coloured top from a pop bottle when I started

I set up a test at the last LGD dig I attended, partly for my own benefit it must be said! I buried an Eddie penny at seven inches and at a 45 degree angle, knowing full well my Nox 600 would struggle to pinpoint it accurately, I also put a polo mint on the ground six inches away from the centre of the coin, purely as a distraction!

I found my machine was actually "pinpointing" the target at about five a clock at the bottom of the coil, as I walked around the find, and at about 180 degrees, the target now pinpointed at about 11 o clock at the top of the coil, ie, over the polo mint!

I asked several Nox owners to pinpoint the target, all guessed it was near the polo mint! a Deus owner along with a mate with an F75 told me it was not where the polo was located but where it actually was, I can only assume the standard Nox coil has an anomaly that throws the pinpoint off with certain targets.

Koala

Post by Koala » Sun May 19, 2019 12:26 am

strange one

most people have no problems

yet here is another experience detectorist with the same problem

https://www.detectorprospector.com/foru ... s-with-it/

seen another that's always 4" to the left in multi frequency but okay if in signal frequency

making me think its a software glitch. Might be worth doing a factory reset ?

fred

Post by fred » Sun May 19, 2019 5:47 am

Ten pence! wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:45 pm
I've been using a 600 for almost a year now, to be frank the pinpointing is poor compared to other machines I've got! I've tried every trick in the book and I still sometimes find targets in the sidewall of the hole for whatever reason, there was a software update that allegedly improved matters but some were then saying it caused problems with other parameters of the detectors performance, so I gave it a miss!

I went to a rally a few weeks ago and was chatting to another Equinox user about this, he claimed he had a technique that that solved the problem, I buried a bit of lead at six inches in anticipation of a tutorial and watched him also miss it by several inches! :D

If it's close to the surface it' often is in the middle of the coil, if it's six inches plus down or non round or circular you'll be digging a bit more than you expect!

I know at the time it was launched (a long while ago) the update drew a few remarks from people because of problems like frozen machines. At least some turned out to be 'operator error' when downloading but I haven't seen anybody complaining about problems since.

Do new machines even need to be updated these days? Do most people now use the updated software? :-/

As far as pinpointing goes I had problems for the first month or so and then the frequency of missed targets fairly rapidly diminished. It now only happens when other people are watching! :D

Deep targets are no particular problem, only the occasional crisis of faith about whether to keep digging down beyond what seems reasonable. I would admit to now being pretty careful about pinpointing though because I have noticed that the moment that I stop paying attention I do miss targets. Getting a really good lock onto it with the wiggle only takes a second or two extra but is quite important for consistency. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Guppy

Post by Guppy » Sun May 19, 2019 9:03 am

Koala wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:15 pm
Brought a new detector after a 20 year hiatus, my previous detector being a Fisher 1200 series without a pinpoint function, so basically.... yes to both

Guppy

Post by Guppy » Sun May 19, 2019 9:15 am

Koala wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:26 am
strange one

most people have no problems

yet here is another experience detectorist with the same problem

https://www.detectorprospector.com/foru ... s-with-it/

seen another that's always 4" to the left in multi frequency but okay if in signal frequency

making me think its a software glitch. Might be worth doing a factory reset ?
Thanks for sharing the above link ::g

I can confirm that I use mine in multi frequency mode and having experimented with the settings when first purchased I have reset the machine several times and it's still not pinpointing accurately. I have yet to try the the latest software update.

Bors

Post by Bors » Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 am

Just don`t bother with Pinpointing. If the Detector tells you the Target is below your coil just dig an 11" three sided cut and flip the Sod or remove a round 10" to 11 " amount of soil the depth of your digging implement. It's going to be there or on the surface ,so then home in with the probe (assuming you have one). It`s Much easier.

WeatherWitch

Post by WeatherWitch » Sun May 19, 2019 11:02 am

fred wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:47 am

Do new machines even need to be updated these days? Do most people now use the updated software? :-/

I purchased my Nox 800 about a month ago and on checking, it had the latest firmware on it.
CScope CS4PI
Equinox 800

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sun May 19, 2019 4:28 pm

Quote:"I just used a coloured top from a pop bottle when I started"

Just make sure you/anyone always recover it. I chose card as it's organic/biodegradable, so if I lose it, and a horse eats it etc, it's not going to cause a problem.
:(

fred

Post by fred » Sun May 19, 2019 4:33 pm

WeatherWitch wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:02 am
fred wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:47 am

I purchased my Nox 800 about a month ago and on checking, it had the latest firmware on it.

Thanks very much, good to know. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sun May 19, 2019 6:18 pm

I pinpoint the same way I always have done....X marks the spot. With the Nox I simply dig a clod of a bigger diameter than I did with the GMP (Which in turn was bigger than the hole needed with a Tesoro aka the dogs whatsits when it came to pinpointing.)
I did a bit of a sessions practicing with the pinpointer on the machine and now use it with caution. I found it was most important to pay attention to the angle of the coil when using pinpoint mode.
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

Crocket

Post by Crocket » Sun May 19, 2019 7:37 pm

My first detecter was a Garrett 250 my secound a Deus pinpointing was easy con paired to the 800 , I do seem to struggle with a simple job as pinpointing B| . More practice needed

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Mon May 20, 2019 2:43 pm

My Nox800 pinpointer does seem to be spot on now I'm using wired headphones to the WM08. Prior to that using the bluetooth headphones it was always a few inches off. I put it down to the lag which even the low latency headphones that came with the Nox has. I would imagine it would be worse if I'd used standard bluetooth.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”