Bluetooth headphones won’t connect

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Gizzi123

Bluetooth headphones won’t connect

Post by Gizzi123 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi everyone
Was just wondering if anyone can give some advice
I got miccus 71 stealth headphones for my equinox 600 and I’ve
Tried everything to get them to connect with no joy but
They connect to my phone fine I’m starting to think there’s a
Bluetooth issue with my equinox they are aptx low latency
As well. If anyone has any ideas of anything new I could try
It would be great
Thanks Craig :)

Pete E

Re: Bluetooth headphones won’t connect

Post by Pete E » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:32 pm

Can you see the Nox when you search for Bluetooth devices from your phone?
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:24 am

Do you have the Manual ? If you do, have a look at page 56. You will find instructions on how to turn on Bluetooth and connect head phones.

If you don’t (you should) the instructions are clear. Make sure your head phones are turned off and no more than 3 ft away from Detector.
Press and hold the Bluetooth button, right side of controller, for 5 seconds till you see the Bluetooth symbol appear on the screen, top right.
Turn on headphones, press button till they flash blue & red. Pairing will begin. When light on headphones stays blue and flashes every few seconds they are paired and a headphone symbol will appear next to the Bluetooth symbol on the controller screen.

First attempt may take a little longer, be patient, manual says 5 mins. If not paired by then, have a cup of tea then start all over.
Believe me it can be infuriating but once paired all you have to do next time and forever after is turn on Detector, look for b/t symbol, turn on phones, wait for blue & red flash and they will pair immediately, every time.

Best of luck. Remember patience is a virtue :D

Gizzi123

Post by Gizzi123 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:00 am

Thanks ladybird66
I will try again hopefully it will work this time
Craig ::g

ajb6864

Post by ajb6864 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:51 am

Hi Gizzi123

I had a similar problem.

Just make sure you have the Bluetooth symbol on your Nox before you press the multi-function button on your headphones to start pairing.

It took me a few tries to sort it out, but once paired they connect every time effortlessly when you switch on.

Alan

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:09 am

ajb6864 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:51 am
Hi Gizzi123

I had a similar problem.

Just make sure you have the Bluetooth symbol on your Nox before you press the multi-function button on your headphones to start pairing.

It took me a few tries to sort it out, but once paired they connect every time effortlessly when you switch on.

Alan

It doesn't actually seem to me to make any difference which order you turn them on or what symbols are showing. Just remember that after they have been paired if you want a quick connection each time then take your finger off the button on the headphones as soon as the blue light comes on. If you leave it too long the red light flashes and you will have to go through the whole pairing routine again (and waste 20 seconds of valuable naff all finding time :D).
Equinox 800 x2

Spearhead

Post by Spearhead » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:02 am

I also found connecting a real pain and fiddly ( with Nox 800). The WM08 box completely solved it. No more messing around with small buttons and connection made every time within seconds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:19 am

I found the nox was a bit iffy pairing & connecting with bluetooth headphones if there were other detectors near and if there ware phones close (ie in the house). The WM08 module is a massive improvement as that connects almost instantly instantaneously with far less noticeable lag than even the low latency headphones.

Goldid

Post by Goldid » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:57 pm

It is true that the module WM08 module is faster than the headset of the order of a few milliseconds, I look for a good earphone my my Nox 800 do you know one?
excuse my bad english

Bors

Post by Bors » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:22 pm

wireless or wired?
Last edited by Bors on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dangerous Norman

Post by Dangerous Norman » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:36 pm

Goldid wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:57 pm
It is true that the module WM08 module is faster than the headset of the order of a few milliseconds, I look for a good earphone my my Nox 800 do you know one?
excuse my bad english
I could never get Chris-cross pinpointing accurate, was always a few CM off so had to double check with the pinpoint button. Changed to the WM08 and chris-cross is not spot on. OK you have to use wired phones but as the module clips on your jacket or slips in a pocket you're not tied to the detector.

ajb6864

Post by ajb6864 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:08 pm

fred wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:09 am
ajb6864 wrote:
Hi Gizzi123

I had a similar problem.

Alan

It doesn't actually seem to me to make any difference which order you turn them on or what symbols are showing. Just remember that after they have been paired if you want a quick connection each time then take your finger off the button on the headphones as soon as the blue light comes on. If you leave it too long the red light flashes and you will have to go through the whole pairing routine again (and waste 20 seconds of valuable naff all finding time :D).
Fred, I actually found the opposite.

I bought the Miccus headphones separately to the Equinox 600 and the instructions were contradictory. I'd tried following the Equinox instructions and it would not connect, but as soon as I went by the Miccus instructions it connected first time.

Alan

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:43 pm

ajb6864 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:08 pm
fred wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:09 am
ajb6864 wrote:
Hi Gizzi123

I had a similar problem.

Alan

Fred, I actually found the opposite.

I bought the Miccus headphones separately to the Equinox 600 and the instructions were contradictory. I'd tried following the Equinox instructions and it would not connect, but as soon as I went by the Miccus instructions it connected first time.

Alan

Might be because I am using the Minelab headphones which came with the 800? :D I tried it both headphones on first and machine on first today and it connected within about 3 or 4 seconds either way around.
Equinox 800 x2

ajb6864

Post by ajb6864 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:52 pm

Once they are paired Fred, you are right. It is the initial pairing that the post is regarding. Even Minelab says it looks for the WM08 module first for 15 seconds before it looks for anything else.

The Miccus SR71 headsets are the same model as the Minelab branded headphones, but £80 cheaper! The instructions for the headphones regarding pairing is different to the Equinox manual.

Kindest regards
Alan

fred

Post by fred » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:19 pm

ajb6864 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:52 pm
Once they are paired Fred, you are right. It is the initial pairing that the post is regarding. Even Minelab says it looks for the WM08 module first for 15 seconds before it looks for anything else.

The Miccus SR71 headsets are the same model as the Minelab branded headphones, but £80 cheaper! The instructions for the headphones regarding pairing is different to the Equinox manual.

Kindest regards
Alan
Despite pefectly clear instructions in the Nox manual it took an embarrassingly long time for me to get the hang of both pairing and then turning them on efficiently. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Gizzi123

Post by Gizzi123 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:05 am

Thanks for everyone’s advice
Still won’t connect ;;z

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:15 pm

Gizzi123 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:05 am
Thanks for everyone’s advice
Still won’t connect ;;z
Gizzy PMed to say that with his Nox turned on, he can't see it as a Bluetooth device on his phone..

Can somebody else with a working Nox confirm if it shows on their phone?

If it does, it points to Gizzy's Nox either being faulty or perhaps the Bluetooth function has been disabled in the Nox setting somehow...
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Natroxz

Post by Natroxz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:27 pm

I gave up, paird them at home and all was fine.
Came out in the field and nothing was working, tried it two times.
Second time I had the WM08 with me as backup, hav been using it since!

werewhelk

Post by werewhelk » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 pm

Here's a weird thing...
I've just bought a brand new Nox 600 and a set of bluetooth aptx LL headphones to go with it (August EP650).

I've already got a Nox 800, and these new headphones pair perfectly with it each and every time with no problem, with the LL symbol.

However, after trying dozens of times to get them to pair with the 600, I've only managed it once, and they lost the pairing after I switched the nox off and on. I've not managed it again since.

The Minelab headphones that came with the 800 pair every time with either the 800 or 600.

I'm unable to explain this, but to me it's pointing more to a problem with the Nox 600 than the headphones.

Anyone else seen this happening?

The 800 was bought in 2018, so it makes me wonder if something has changed to make newer ones "less compatible" than the older ones.
Tim

Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 600
Minelab Equinox 800

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:31 pm

If you're still having difficulties pairing the headphones then try doing a factory reset on the Nox and maybe more importantly find out how to factory reset the headphones and reset them!. There shouldn't be any issues with pairing bluetooth headphones with either the 600 or 800 Nox's- press and hold the wireless button on the Nox and press and hold the on button of the headphones untill the blue and red lights start flashing and thats all there should be to it- it should just pair in a few seconds. If after doing the resets and making sure the headphones are close to the control box when trying to pair and it still doesn't work then there must be something else wrong- either the headphones or Nox has a fault or maybe theres some type of interference casusing the issue.

werewhelk

Post by werewhelk » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:51 pm

Yeah, I should probably try a factory reset of the 600, just to eliminate it if nothing else, I'll give that a go tomorrow. Good idea.

It's nothing to do with me not knowing how to pair them though... like I say, I manage it every time with the 800.

I think I can also rule out interference, because both machines are side my side when I do this. It repeatedly succeeds in pairing with the 800, and repeatedly fails in pairing with the 600. This is with me holding the wireless button in on the nox each time to restart the pairing process and clear out any previous pairing.

There's no way to factory reset the headphones, but they consistently pair fine with everything I've tried pairing them with, except the 600.
Tim

Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 600
Minelab Equinox 800

fred

Post by fred » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:04 pm

werewhelk wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:51 pm
Yeah, I should probably try a factory reset of the 600, just to eliminate it if nothing else, I'll give that a go tomorrow. Good idea.

It's nothing to do with me not knowing how to pair them though... like I say, I manage it every time with the 800.

I think I can also rule out interference, because both machines are side my side when I do this. It repeatedly succeeds in pairing with the 800, and repeatedly fails in pairing with the 600. This is with me holding the wireless button in on the nox each time to restart the pairing process and clear out any previous pairing.

There's no way to factory reset the headphones, but they consistently pair fine with everything I've tried pairing them with, except the 600.

Sorry but with my untechnical logic if the Minelab headphones that came with the 800 work on the 600 and the new ones don't then the problem lies with the new headphones. :D

Personally I think that the greatest proportion of connection problems tend to be caused by how long to hold in button on the headphones. I have now set up several dozen machines, some of them several times to give the owners practice, and have never yet had one completely fail to connect. All bar a few have been with the supplied headphones though. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:13 am

fred wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:04 pm
werewhelk wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:51 pm

Sorry but with my untechnical logic if the Minelab headphones that came with the 800 work on the 600 and the new ones don't then the problem lies with the new headphones. :D

Personally I think that the greatest proportion of connection problems tend to be caused by how long to hold in button on the headphones. I have now set up several dozen machines, some of them several times to give the owners practice, and have never yet had one completely fail to connect. All bar a few have been with the supplied headphones though. ::g
Werewhelk states in his initial post that the NEW headphones do pair with his Nox 800 but not the 600, and that the original Nox 800 headphones pair both with the 800 and the 600. This leads me to think that the issue is more likely to be a software glitch or that maybe the Nox 600 is not flushing it's memory of the other headphones that werewhelk paired beforhand properly!- which in that case a factory reset might force flush/ clear the memory and then he can try to pair the new headphones to the Nox 600 from scratch- abit like clearing the ram from a computer with a restart etc. It appears from werewhelks tests that BOTH sets of headphons appear to work and BOTH Nox's appear to work via bluetooth- except for the combination of the NEW headphones and the Nox 600. Surely this must either be a software glitch, or as werewhelk has said- that there might be some sort of incompatibility issue with older or newer equipment which might have different versions of bluetooth software installed.

If it was me I'd be resetting the Nox and seeing if theres anyway to reset the headphones. I know werewhelk has stated that there isn't a way to reset the headphones and that may well be the case as I couldn't find any info on how to reset those headphones in the manual when looking on the web- but I'd be surprised if there isn't some way of doing it!. I'd try holding the on button for 10 or more seconds once switching off the headphones just incase the reset function is there but not mentioned in the maual for some reason. Every bluetooth device I've had has had a reset procedure although some of them were a bit obscure- for instance one set of headphones I had you had to first of all plug the headphones in to the charger before the reset function of pressing the on button for 10 seconds would work etc!. It might be worth trying the standard reset type procedures out and see if the new headphones can be reset even if it's not mentioned in the manual.

Different headphones work differently but some need to have their memories cleared if a certian number of devices have been conected to the headphones. It could be for instance that when werewhelk has connected the new headphones to the 800 they are kind of remembering that connection and then not wanting to connect to the Nox 600- the same sort of glitch could be happening with the Nox 600!- yeah the Nox 600 should clear the previous bluetooth connection when attempting to connect a new bluetooth unit but as we know glitches happen and resets often sort them out!.

If resetting the Nox 600 and attempting a re-pair doesn't work then I'd then try to see if I could reset the headphones using one of the above mentioned procedures- if none of that works then it's a bit of a mystery considering that both the Nox 600 has managed to connect via bluetooth- although to a different set of headphones, and the new headphones have kind of proven themselves by connecting to the Nox 800. If after all these tests it still doesn't work then it would appear that werewhelks theory that there might be a software incompatibility might actually be the issue.

fred

Post by fred » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:43 am

If it is possible I like the idea of having to flush the memory of the headphones as it is one thing that hasn't been done.

Of course the 600 and the 800 might have different spec. Bluetooth units or part of the 600 one has gone wrong or become corrupted. However, given that they appear to be performing as designed and with the combination of connections which have been achieved I would have thought that any software glitch or incompatibility would most likely be in the new headphones.

I'm not sure there is any easy way of proving it though, unless a third pair of headphones was to be tried. If they connected to both units it would definitely suggest that the problem lay with the headphones, if they didn't then with the 600. :D
Equinox 800 x2

werewhelk

Post by werewhelk » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Well, i tried a factory reset of the Nox 600, which didnt help, and ive also tried a bluetooth LL headset that i use for work, and that paired up without any problem.

So the jury is still well and truly out.
Still makes no sense to me that the same headphones should work with one nox but not another

I might try reflashing the nox firmware as a last resort when i get time
Tim

Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 600
Minelab Equinox 800

Pete01

Post by Pete01 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:23 pm

werewhelk wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:31 pm
Well, i tried a factory reset of the Nox 600, which didnt help, and ive also tried a bluetooth LL headset that i use for work, and that paired up without any problem.

So the jury is still well and truly out.
Still makes no sense to me that the same headphones should work with one nox but not another

I might try reflashing the nox firmware as a last resort when i get time
Thats a pity that reseting the Equinox didn't work- sounds like it might be one of those issues that has to be put down to being one of those 'electrical mysteries' as trying to find out exactly what the issue is might not be worth the time and hassle!- and it might be more economical to just buy another cheap set of headphones to test.

Good idea regarding reflashing the Nox firmware- although the issue appears more likely to be something with the headphones- they might not be faulty as they work with your Nox 800 but there could be some type of glitch or incompatibility issues as you said. Have you tried going through some of the standard resetting procedures on the headphones just incase that might work?.

chillidog

Post by chillidog » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:06 pm

had a similar problem with my nox 800 headphones worked ok at 1st but then for some reason didn't tried everything i know off at no joy, then i tried a old pair of bluetooth headphones i had and within sec's headphones paired up ok.so my way of thinking it had to be the nox headphones so i sent them back and returned saying nothing wrong with them,so i tested them and bingo they paired up straight away :-/ :-/
hammered coins : 2018 =6
roman coins :2018 = 5,2019 =1
roman silver coins :2018 =1

fred

Post by fred » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:46 pm

chillidog wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:06 pm
had a similar problem with my nox 800 headphones worked ok at 1st but then for some reason didn't tried everything i know off at no joy, then i tried a old pair of bluetooth headphones i had and within sec's headphones paired up ok.so my way of thinking it had to be the nox headphones so i sent them back and returned saying nothing wrong with them,so i tested them and bingo they paired up straight away :-/ :-/

It is impossible to prove conclusively but it appears to me that the headphones must have a compatability issue. :D
Equinox 800 x2

werewhelk

Post by werewhelk » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Does sound like compatibility, yeah, except with one machine only. This is what i find interesting.

If the 800 and 600 both had identical hardware (by which I mean the bluetooth chip) and software, then any such compatibility issue should be occurring with both, not just one. Identical hardware and software should not behave differently. If they did, then Apple would be in all sorts of trouble :D

So i must still conclude that there is some difference between the bluetooth on these two machines... not necessarily a fault, but a difference. Either a hardware difference or some subtle software corruption that is manifesting itself as a pairing issue (hence why i will try reloading the firmware).

I can't believe the 600 and 800 would have been designed with different bluetooth chips, but I'm prepared to believe that more recent units might be using a later revision of that same chip. But thats pure speculation.

This isn't really a big deal for me other than curiosity... I can still use both machines, just swap headphones :)
Tim

Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 600
Minelab Equinox 800

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Just a daft thought x; Could it have something to do with the software up-date ?

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”