Minelab Equinox - New Metal Detector Series Finally Announced

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Digiffys

Re: Minelab Equinox - New Metal Detector Series Finally Announced

Post by Digiffys » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Just hope it can perform on wet sand and seawater :D For all the vids and bits and pieces ive seen I havent seen anything on the sensitivity side of things meaning adjustments,settings etc can anyone shed some light ::g

History the best story yet!
Xp Deus
Teknetics G2+

sweepstick47

Re: EQUINOX - Minelab`s New Metal Detector Series Finally Announced

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:03 pm

sweepstick47 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:10 pm
Junior wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:21 am
I'm sold. No19 on the way. Maybe ditch the dues. Woz going for the hf coil 350. Nearly the new minelab.
Hello junior, That's really bad luck. Were the previous 18 all poor performers? If so, good luck with the new Equinox and I hope there won't be another 18 others to follow. ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

marcus

Post by marcus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:13 pm

Some info from experienced detectorist on Minelab owners forum.

I was commenting that all posts up to the release are all speculative and having now handled and used the detector for over five hours on an actual dig I can say that this detector is going to be a winner.

Its selectable single frequency like all VLF's but the big plus is that at a press of a button it becomes a multi frequency machine.

Very fast and so sharp on tiny items. I was finding the shot from a 12 bore cartridge and very deep with a lead token about the size of your quarters at 13"/14". Also pulling out bits of bronze deep from a heavily hunted area. Also in the same area found my first hammered coin with it a tiny Elizabeth First farthing.

For beach hunting you can select single frequency for the dry sand and multi frequency for the wet so again going to be an excellent beach hunting detector.

I would say that this is the first detector that has broken away from the repackaged new machines coming out all the time with the same technology inside a new fancy box.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Couple of questions on my mind are......

1) The coil looks fairly large, how is the machine balanced ? there does not appear any weight at the back of the machine to counterbalance it ? is it simply they have constructed a really lightweight coil ?

2) They state they are using the Bluetooth system for the headphones, obviously its never been the ideal solution due to lag but have they now found a solution for the lag delay?

Cheers all
mrix

fred

Post by fred » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:40 pm

judging just by look at it at the MHF rally the whole thing looks very lightweight indeed. ::g Perhaps almost worryingly so! :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:41 pm

mrix wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:53 pm

1) The coil looks fairly large, how is the machine balanced ? there does not appear any weight at the back of the machine to counterbalance it ? is it simply they have constructed a really lightweight coil ?

2) They state they are using the Bluetooth system for the headphones, obviously its never been the ideal solution due to lag but have they now found a solution for the lag delay?

Cheers all
mrix
Balance is fine if a little "towards the coil" which pushes the arm cup towards the arm. TBH I think the coil is the heaviest part of it! Having the straight hand grip below the control-box (unlike the old Explorer "hand stress" position) makes it swing lovely.
There are two options for headphones, wired (small/phone jack size) for earbuds etc or the WM-8 module that nobody seemed to have at Corfe.
Done some target testing in a field, myself & Neil took it in turns to cross check...both machines got them just in different tones.
Its a very,very capable machine......................but its not a CTX ;)
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

GeoffBristol

Post by GeoffBristol » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:41 pm
mrix wrote:

Cheers all
mrix
Balance is fine if a little "towards the coil" which pushes the arm cup towards the arm. TBH I think the coil is the heaviest part of it! Having the straight hand grip below the control-box (unlike the old Explorer "hand stress" position) makes it swing lovely.
There are two options for headphones, wired (small/phone jack size) for earbuds etc or the WM-8 module that nobody seemed to have at Corfe.
Done some target testing in a field, myself & Neil took it in turns to cross check...both machines got them just in different tones.
Hi, I don't own a Minelab but I am interested in the Equinox 800, when you say it's not a CTX do you mean that the CTX is superior ?
Thanks
Geoff
DEUS
SPECTRA 3Vi

Sportsman

Post by Sportsman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:08 pm

It does make you laugh though when they give these machines to folk to test that are not going to say a bad word about it i.e minelab folk who get there machines from the dealers for free who say it can do this can pick up a hammered at 12’’ etc etc ..my advice is wait until the proper unbiased guys test it before you go out and spend £800 on a new machine
Xp Deus.

My Lucky Underpants

redwulf500

Post by redwulf500 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:12 pm

As above...... u;@

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:20 pm

I noted there was a full page advert/ article in searcher magazine outlining the various details of these machines, at the end it did state that both the FBS & BBS machines would/could out perform the Equinox on the beach, and they would also be more sensitive to small silver (hammered coins) for example.
MINELAB SAFARI & RUTUS ALTER 71 teamed up with DETEKNIX WIRELESS HEADPHONES
BEST FINDS HERE; https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/v46/my-ads.html

GeoffBristol

Post by GeoffBristol » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:25 pm

I would not buy one just on somebody's say so, I will wait until they have been released and used in the fields for about 6 months, then make my mind up.
Geoff
DEUS
SPECTRA 3Vi

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:14 pm

FULLTIMER wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:20 pm
I noted there was a full page advert/ article in searcher magazine outlining the various details of these machines, at the end it did state that both the FBS & BBS machines would/could out perform the Equinox on the beach, and they would also be more sensitive to small silver (hammered coins) for example.
Is that what Minelab said ? that both FBS and BBS would out perform the Equinox on the beach and on small hammereds? if thats the case it would be disastrous to sales of the new detector.

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Havn't got the mag with me at the moment it was more like a question and answer page about the functions etc, not sure if it was put out by Minelab or whether it was questions being asked by Searcher magazine and being answered by Minelab ,or maybe just a Searcher thing, in a way i suppose Minelab would still have to differentiate the two systems otherwise sales of the higher end FBS machines would suffer
MINELAB SAFARI & RUTUS ALTER 71 teamed up with DETEKNIX WIRELESS HEADPHONES
BEST FINDS HERE; https://www.ukdfd.co.uk/v46/my-ads.html

sanjuro

Post by sanjuro » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:49 pm

I was thinking that too that they would not make a cheaper unit that outperformed the existing high end units
thanks for the quick reply

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:55 pm

Clearly the patented FBS tech has it's place, and no-one can dispute the reputation of ctx, E-Trac and co. The FBS goes deep on the right land and works great on sand for sure. Minelab have had a long time to experiment and test everything at their disposal.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

marcus

Post by marcus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Detectival Rally 2017 by Brandon Neice.
Detectival Rally 2017
September 28, 2017 11:05am
Brandon Neice
Brandon Neice.jpg
All across the UK and Europe metal detectorists gather for rallies. Permission to detect hundreds (sometimes thousands) of acres of historic land is obtained by the event coordinators and groves of eager treasure hunters gather for a chance to make the find of a lifetime. England’s very own “Detectival” is among the largest detecting rallies in the world. This year Detectival was held in the quaint country setting of Oxfordshire between the medieval market towns of Burford and Charlbury. Seemingly overnight the countryside morphed into a buzzing (and beeping) tent city of more than 1500 attendees accompanied by every vendor under the sun. Knowing that Detectival would be the year’s biggest metal detecting event, Minelab took full advantage of the stage and literally dropped the world’s newest, lightest, fastest, waterproof, wireless multi-frequency metal detector onto the world... “Behold… The EQUINOX!!!”

The parachute wasn’t the only thing that hit the ground that day. When Minelab announced the price of the new EQUINOX series, there were more than a few jaws that hit the floor too! Is it too good to be true? How could Minelab possibly put all of those features into something that light? Furthermore, how could they get away with an expected retail price point of USD 899 for the flagship EQUINOX 800? Minelab has been saying they are going to “obsolete” all other single frequency VLF detectors, but if the EQUINOX actually does what it claims, it really WILL!

Even though, as I write this, the EQUINOX is still in the final stages of refining and tweaking, the performance is astonishing. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that a multi-frequency detector could be so fast without losing depth and stability?

The hunting conditions were tough. The finds seemed to be very random until a small Roman villa site was discovered that afternoon. A feeding frenzy of detectorists converged on the site and a few hours later, close to 100 Roman coins had been unearthed. The finds slowed to a crawl and when the crowd finally cleared, I saw an opportunity to put this new detector to the test in “hunted out ground”. To this day I know there’s more in there, but with my time at Detectival coming to an end, I knew I’d have to makedo with a few short hours of hunting. Luckily for me, that’s all I needed. The EQUINOX continues to impress with each refinement and I’m truly excited to see what the future holds with this amazing machine.

Check out the video of my Detectival experience

marcus

Post by marcus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Video of Detectival Rally 2017 by Brandon Neice featuring the Equinox.
https://youtu.be/wICfAL-cfcM>

JBM

Post by JBM » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:33 pm

That was one very large hole for a coin.

What happened to the pin pointing with the Equinox.? :(

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Sportsman wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:08 pm
It does make you laugh though when they give these machines to folk to test that are not going to say a bad word about it i.e minelab folk who get there machines from the dealers for free who say it can do this can pick up a hammered at 12’’ etc etc ..my advice is wait until the proper unbiased guys test it before you go out and spend £800 on a new machine
1. I haven`t been given a machine.
2. I saw somebody else who BORROWED it dig a bag seal at around 12 inches in normal field conditions...not "set up".
3. I make you VERY right....let other folk find out the glitch`s first. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:15 pm

GeoffBristol wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 pm
jcmaloney wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:41 pm
mrix wrote:

Cheers all
mrix
Hi, I don't own a Minelab but I am interested in the Equinox 800, when you say it's not a CTX do you mean that the CTX is superior ?
Thanks
Geoff
The CTX is a much more technically capable machine with more functionality. ::g

marcus

Post by marcus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:14 pm

More info on Equinox from Brandon Neice posted on Tom Dankowski forum.

My testing, in my ground conditions with the current firmware version that I am running, the EQUINOX is hitting deeper targets than my CTX in multiple configurations. This is not the end all be all test nor is the Equinox done being refined. Things are constantly evolving and are subject to change with each firmware update. Just my experience. The TID is as stable as the CTX albeit different. Put it this way. When I traveled 3000 miles to detect in England at Detectival, for a very limited amount of time, I was bummed that I couldn't use the Equinox on the first day because it wasn't announced yet. After the formal release of the Equinox on day two of Detectival I was extatic! I could finally hunt with the Nox in the open. And guess what... I didn't put it down for the rest of the trip. Why? I dunno? I just FEEL like it's hitting everything that my CTX would (possibly more) and it's such a pleasure to swing. I prefer it because it's everything I'VE been wanting. But what I want might be different from what you want. In time I'll be able to put out some more test videos and you'll start seeing real reviews. If you're on the fence about purchasing one, I'd encourage you to get your hands on one when the time comes and put it through your own testing. The Multi IQ is very different from FBS in ways that I'm not allowed to explain until the testers and the engineers are satisfied with the results. This isn't because it's proprietary, it's because we're trying to get it tested in as many real life scenarios as possible before we come out and say "this is how it reacts in so and so" and we can't do that until the final version is complete. That's why I can't come out and say "crown tops sound like..." etc. because each step closer to the final product reveals subtle improvements and statements have to be retracted or corrected and reinstated.
Reply Quote Report

muckyluck

Post by muckyluck » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:55 pm

You could never say what "a certain target sounds like" because multiple examples of targets would give the same sound.
It's a new metal detector. Good luck to those who buy it.
If it's that good every man and his wife and their dog will own one.
A bit like other over-hyped detectors around at the moment. ;)

Mud Max

Post by Mud Max » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:08 pm

We won't know if it's over hyped, under hyped, brilliant, average, etc etc etc, until it's used and we have some facts. If there's one thing I have learned in this hobby it's that people like to rave about machines or condemn them long before they have used them or seen evidence of what they can do, so come on, lets just give it a chance folks.

I hope it's brilliant, regardless of whether I ever own one. Because if it is, other manufacturers will strive to match it, and for a lower price. And that's exactly why Minelab have produced the Equinox.
Last edited by Mud Max on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

marcus

Post by marcus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:03 am

Latest Equinox video by Brandon Neice at Detectival

https://youtu.be/gKrHBji23yM

lukewarm

Post by lukewarm » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:02 pm

I'm the cuddly fella testing the Qquinox on Steve's piece of gold that the CTX cannot see

I was impressed with the weight, speed, ease of use. It's long enough for a tall person like me. They have to price it under a Deus and match the performance because Minelab users have been flocking to XP for many years now. If it is good on the beach then I will be an early adopter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpGbiixBynQ&t=83s
XP Deus - WS5 WS4 Backphones - 9HF, 11 & 13x11 Coils - Mi6
Whites TM808
Whites TRX Probe - X Pointer
Red Knees

beachboy70

Post by beachboy70 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Does the Equinox have a back light as they are only using a small internal battery lights always drain the battery faster, but it would be very useful as i find my Safari lacking lots of info to see as it gets dark.I expect it will be 6 months before we see all the test results and on the market. beachboy70 ::g :-SS

Copperballs1

Post by Copperballs1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:25 am

Does it take batteries or is the power system incorporated into the machine? I mean, can you not just plug a lead into the machine and recharge it? I don’t know why manufacturers don’t just build rechargeable batteries into the handle of the machines with a USB connection. Looks a great machine though, can’t wait to see some reviews from users. ::g

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:25 am

I was just wondering, if the 600 has 2 frequencies less than the 800, does that mean the 600 only uses 3 frequencies it has in the multi, or do they both use only the lower 3.
Less frequencies faster processing power etc
Xp deus

Filternozzle

Post by Filternozzle » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Tomo wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:25 am
I was just wondering, if the 600 has 2 frequencies less than the 800, does that mean the 600 only uses 3 frequencies it has in the multi, or do they both use only the lower 3.
Both the 600 and 800 use 5 fequencies in the Multi mode. In addition the 600 can be operated in 3 single freqencies and the 800 in 5 single frequencies.
Updated NEXUS MP & Minelab GPX-5000 ::g

Tomo

Post by Tomo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Filternozzle wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:10 pm
Tomo wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:25 am
Both the 600 and 800 use 5 fequencies in the Multi mode. In addition the 600 can be operated in 3 single freqencies and the 800 in 5 single frequencies.
Sounds good. So the 600 has the extra 2 frequencies but not used for single use. Just need a good beach report now ::g
Xp deus

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”