Minelab EQUINOX = Unprecedented Anticipation

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
fred

Re: Minelab EQUINOX = Unprecedented Anticipation

Post by fred » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:54 pm

newseeker wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:30 am
fred wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm
newseeker wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:26 pm
some people who are self employed could offset it against their tax maybe or get the vat back if their registered ,if your in the building trade as it could be classed as a pipe locator
The danger is that if you go down the tax deductible route you could end up being liable for taxes on your finds. Given that HMG struggles with the concept that huge multi national companies make money it may not be very likely but remember that you are a lot easier target than they are. ::g :D
is found money taxable?
I would say generally not because what you find is a matter of luck and it is unexpected and unpredictable. However, if your major source of income was money that you recovered by regularly metal detecting and selling finds you might find yourself having to answer awkward questions.

Personally as a pensioner I would love to be able to deduct the petrol and other expenses of metal detecting. The taxman would lose out every time so it is unlikely to wash though. :D

ds1

Post by ds1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:52 pm

This detector interest me a lot and also how it has been marketed. If we take the ML / Brandon Neice vids at face value and performance / features at face value then there should be a couple of questions - “obsolete all other single frequency vlf machines”. Most people have jumped on it pertaining to other manufactures but seems to me they might knowingly obsolete their own xterra, Etrac and CTX lines. Maybe not so daft - if 1m machines 800 or 600 ( same hardware just software differences ) could be sold worldwide over a 2 year period then according to a post I read elsewhere production would need to be around 1400 units per week taking into account holidays. Not much time for other recreational detector lines or down time changing production lines - Henry Fordism at it’s best? Seems to me like the 600 is cheap enough not to consider an xterra and the 800 offers some features the Etrac and CTX don’t have, well ok different features . Time will tell if fast, light, waterproof with multi frequency and comparatively cheap is what everyone wants. The other ML lines might stop as without demand (orders) you don’t make the product. A good indicator now would be if the second hand market is getting filled and stagnated with older models. In a couple of years time as production gets met, introduce a super pimped up version.

From what has been said and what I have read is that it does not seem software upgradeable, please correct me if I am wrong as this is a very big thing for me ( others may not care). It seems a different perspective : free updates ( future proof) keep customers loyal with repeat sales including dedicated coils, controllers, pin pointers all OEM production, but also allows for a quick response if someone else “does a game changer “ on you. Much easier and quicker to do a downloadable software upgrade than have to make new hardware to stay competitive and keep your customer base. Just my perspective anyway.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:23 pm

An interesting perspective Ds1 8-| I think that if I was running a manufacturing organisation that brought to the market place an item that threatened to render all other manufacturers products obsolete, I would surely have serious concerns for my personal welfare :D

I don't not knock such marketing hype.................... Science Fiction is OK in my book. ):= ):=

Regards and A Merry Christmas to all ss47.
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

JBM

Post by JBM » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Excellent post ds1.

Folks get a little over excited whenever a new product hits the market place.

Just look at the machines that have arrived in recent years and many of which have faded into the sunset.

In fairness Minelab have spent many years prior to playing catch-up with this machine, so it would be unwise to prejudge it until the rank and file get it fired up out in the fields.

Its a pity that its not completely wire free like other leading manufacturers. but if thats the only problem and it performs it will sell.

I had my first Minelab in the late 1980`s when the Sovereign came along and its stood the test of time.

Minelab will need a official full time service center as it was in times past when their staff were available in Ireland, to talk to us as individuals on the phone and even sometimes face to face.

I will not name individuals, but all the old hands know who I mean.

Happy Xmas to them and everyone and lets welcome 2018 with optimism.

Jerry. ::g

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”