Minelab EQUINOX = Unprecedented Anticipation

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
mrix
Founder

Minelab EQUINOX = Unprecedented Anticipation

Post by mrix » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:01 am

Hello all, just had this latest update sent through by Minelab..

Direct link - https://www.minelab.com/go-minelabbing/ ... ticipation

fred

Re: Minelab EQUINOX = Unprecedented Anticipation

Post by fred » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:48 am

All Minelab have to do now is deliver on all the hyperbole (and a few actual metal detectors would be nice too! :D )
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

At Digger

Post by At Digger » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:51 am

I like the Minelab FBS machines as I have two and are great but all the information been supplied by them with the Equinox models is really pushing " pre-order sales " before even ones been released on the market. At this stage I can smell something and its not as nice a smell as Minelab say it is.
If it's as good as they say it is then release the models for sale, stop the hype and getting people to pay deposits on an unknown machine.
Reminds me a machine that was released 2 years ago from another manufacturer, talked it up no end and it was nothing as good as the hype.

This is one Minelab machine I wont buy for atleast 6 to 7 months after release and see exactly what the early birds have to say after 6 months on the market.
GET THE FINGER OUT MINELAB ;;z

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 am

I agree, wait until the dust settles, in recent times it has looked as if the customer has had to do the final product development for some manufacturers what with iffy coils and strange software quirks that got overlooked by R&D.

Doug

Post by Doug » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:26 am

One persons opinion based on what?

It is only when the machine is readily available to the general users will we know if his claim is right..........or wrong.

Quote:

"In my opinion this product is going to be one of the most popular metal detectors ever made."

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Doug wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:26 am

It is only when the machine is readily available to the general users will we know if his claim is right..........or wrong.
I agree , at the end of the day its going to be people who have faith in the brand and actually purchase early that We`re going to rely on to give us the genuine reviews / feedback ::g
Its common advertising practice to create hype for any business when they release a product regardless of what the product is.

mrix

beaubrummell

Post by beaubrummell » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:48 pm

They'll have to prise my trusty Explorer II from my cold, dead hand !
Minelab Explorer II
SEF 12 x 10 coil
Deteknix Wader Li Xpointer
Lesche Digging Tool
AMES entrenching tool
Souped-up Spear & Jackson mini spade
Chefphones CP2 Black
Tomcat Dakota boots

dreadnought

Post by dreadnought » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:34 pm

if youve ever wondered what marketing people are paid for!. they sure done their job on this one.
wondering if to much hype is going to lead to to much gripe.

ill stick with what ive got at the moment. finds stuff and half the price.
garret 400i "old faithfull" ::g
Quest Q40, The "coin hoover" awesome machine. ::g
gp pinpointer, working perfect even after a lot of abuse ::g still working after even more abuse, £37 from fleabay, cant go wrong ::g

fred

Post by fred » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:21 pm

beaubrummell wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:48 pm
They'll have to prise my trusty Explorer II from my cold, dead hand !
Explorers are now all getting on a bit so it might turn out to be the other way around! :D

I still keep an Ex2 for using on the Thames with a small coil but I eventually moved on to a CTX for my everyday detecting. It is like an Explorer with a turbo booster and on beaches the question changed from how deep the machine went to how deep I could dig. ::g

I will get an Equinox as soon as they come out simply because I fancy trying out something a bit different on a few of my more contaminated sites, especially if it has the Minelab reputation and claims to have a faster recovery speed. :)
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:33 pm

I`ve had a go with one. Its a light & fast machine at a sensible price and will appeal to many. It is strangely familiar in a Minelab way ....but different!

Think 705 updated & on steroids working in a different way! lol

In a "head to head" field test against my CTX & Neil using the Equinox 800 both machines got the same targets, just in different ways.

It will find stuff, it will be robust....its a Minelab!

............its not a CTX. ;)

They shot themselves in the foot rushing to launch at detect-evil and now the testers are "carrying the can" for the release date ....especially when some folk paid in September and probably won`t get it until Jan 2018! Would have been better testing in the UK and drip feeding the info until it was in the shops and available to BUY ! ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 pm

As has been said several times in this thread, It would seem prudent to avoid coming to any conclusions about the 'Equinox' until enough meaningful information is at hand to warrant it.
Like many others,I look forward with interest to that time. Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Swany

Post by Swany » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:14 am

Lots of people about to lose money as well based on the US prices, they get the 800 for the UK 600 price, same old story though.

newseeker

Post by newseeker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:26 pm

some people who are self employed could offset it against their tax maybe or get the vat back if their registered ,if your in the building trade as it could be classed as a pipe locator
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab x-terra 705,CscopeR1

fred

Post by fred » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm

newseeker wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:26 pm
some people who are self employed could offset it against their tax maybe or get the vat back if their registered ,if your in the building trade as it could be classed as a pipe locator
The danger is that if you go down the tax deductible route you could end up being liable for taxes on your finds. Given that HMG struggles with the concept that huge multi national companies make money it may not be very likely but remember that you are a lot easier target than they are. ::g :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Phil2401

Post by Phil2401 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:30 pm

HMRC do not employ stupid people.
Quaerite et invenietis

Minelab Equinox 800
Deus Lite
Deeptech Vista Warrior

Garrett carrot
Fond Hope

fred

Post by fred » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:51 am

Phil2401 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:30 pm
HMRC do not employ stupid people.
Definitely not, the best mathematician that I have ever known went to work for HMRC. ::g Problem is that clever people work for a dumb organisation, or at least one where rules trump common sense every time. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

Pastmember01

Post by Pastmember01 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:33 am

newseeker wrote:
VAT on machine about £115. But if you don't declare the personal use side it's called tax evasion.
Chances of getting caught, probably low. If caught chances of a full investigation of books over 7 years, probably high. Your choice for not a lot of money.

newseeker

Post by newseeker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:30 am

fred wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm
newseeker wrote:
The danger is that if you go down the tax deductible route you could end up being liable for taxes on your finds. Given that HMG struggles with the concept that huge multi national companies make money it may not be very likely but remember that you are a lot easier target than they are. ::g :D
is found money taxable?

newseeker

Post by newseeker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:31 am

found this bit of info from minelab
A fundamental principle of metal detection physics is that susceptibility to salt increases with frequency. Therefore a simultaneous multi-frequency detector will outperform a single frequency detector at the beach, on wet sand and in the water. Rather than losing a great amount of sensitivity through coarse filtering (in a single frequency detector), EQUINOX is able to better mathematically subtract the salt signal across the Multi-IQ spectrum by way of having many more measurement data-points. (We may explain this further in a Treasure Talk blog a bit later on?) This is also why "Multi" is the only frequency option for Beach Mode. - to eliminate the "falsing" that you consider may be an issue. Even then, there will likely always be difficult conditions that mean you need to run a detector at a lower sensitivity setting rather than 'at maximum'. Some people like to push the limits of stability, but then others will complain that the detector isn't working properly 'at maximum'. While the market is anxiously anticipating this machine, it is easy to get caught up in the speculation and lack of information - leading to doubts. First we had the upgradeable software doubts, and then the replaceable battery doubts - which both originated from incorrect info being given out by sources that may not have had the correct specification to begin with. If Minelab publishes the video you require it will be dismissed as "more hype" or “rigged”. When our field testers publish videos it may be regarded as "paid promotion" to put it kindly! Why are there no "beach" videos and many field" videos right now? This is because the early demo detectors we had at Detectival were left with European dealers who then tried them in their typical inland detecting locations. Also, these demo detectors were not set up with full functionality - including Beach Mode and Gold Mode. This doesn't imply problems - it just means limited capability for preliminary review, so that these dealers are well prepared to answer questions when EQUINOX is available. If you 'like' your X-TERRA, and have used FBS detectors, you will 'love' your EQUINOX! We stand by our "obsolete" message and expect that the market will better understand this when people get their own hands on a detector for themselves. You are, after all, the ultimate judge of whether you like a product or not. Yes, reviews from trusted sources can always reassure or reaffirm - and these will come. While potential (possibly impulsive) buyers may pre-order, cancel, re-order, 'wait and see' - at the moment no one can walk into a store and buy. While the wait can be exciting (or frustrating), there is more information 'out there' about EQUINOX already than we have had for previous product releases. Whether you think of EQUINOX as 'X-TERRA on steroids', 'FBS lite', 'single frequency killer' or any other term - it has many features and functions not available in market offerings from other brands - including the two you mention. It's simultaneous multi-frequency, waterproof, light-weight, wireless audio, low-cost and more... in the one detector! We're working hard to 'get them out the door' as soon as we can! Best Regards, Minelab”

Junior

Post by Junior » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:21 pm

""""""""a "head to head" field test against my CTX & Neil using the Equinox 800 both machines got the same targets, just in different ways.

It will find stuff, it will be robust....its a Minelab!

............its not a CTX. ;) """"""

I still await the launch of the 600 and 800

Well that answer might have just saved me £850. Cheers.

fred

Post by fred » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:54 pm

newseeker wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:30 am
fred wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm
newseeker wrote:
is found money taxable?
I would say generally not because what you find is a matter of luck and it is unexpected and unpredictable. However, if your major source of income was money that you recovered by regularly metal detecting and selling finds you might find yourself having to answer awkward questions.

Personally as a pensioner I would love to be able to deduct the petrol and other expenses of metal detecting. The taxman would lose out every time so it is unlikely to wash though. :D
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2

ds1

Post by ds1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:52 pm

This detector interest me a lot and also how it has been marketed. If we take the ML / Brandon Neice vids at face value and performance / features at face value then there should be a couple of questions - “obsolete all other single frequency vlf machines”. Most people have jumped on it pertaining to other manufactures but seems to me they might knowingly obsolete their own xterra, Etrac and CTX lines. Maybe not so daft - if 1m machines 800 or 600 ( same hardware just software differences ) could be sold worldwide over a 2 year period then according to a post I read elsewhere production would need to be around 1400 units per week taking into account holidays. Not much time for other recreational detector lines or down time changing production lines - Henry Fordism at it’s best? Seems to me like the 600 is cheap enough not to consider an xterra and the 800 offers some features the Etrac and CTX don’t have, well ok different features . Time will tell if fast, light, waterproof with multi frequency and comparatively cheap is what everyone wants. The other ML lines might stop as without demand (orders) you don’t make the product. A good indicator now would be if the second hand market is getting filled and stagnated with older models. In a couple of years time as production gets met, introduce a super pimped up version.

From what has been said and what I have read is that it does not seem software upgradeable, please correct me if I am wrong as this is a very big thing for me ( others may not care). It seems a different perspective : free updates ( future proof) keep customers loyal with repeat sales including dedicated coils, controllers, pin pointers all OEM production, but also allows for a quick response if someone else “does a game changer “ on you. Much easier and quicker to do a downloadable software upgrade than have to make new hardware to stay competitive and keep your customer base. Just my perspective anyway.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:23 pm

An interesting perspective Ds1 8-| I think that if I was running a manufacturing organisation that brought to the market place an item that threatened to render all other manufacturers products obsolete, I would surely have serious concerns for my personal welfare :D

I don't not knock such marketing hype.................... Science Fiction is OK in my book. ):= ):=

Regards and A Merry Christmas to all ss47.
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

JBM

Post by JBM » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Excellent post ds1.

Folks get a little over excited whenever a new product hits the market place.

Just look at the machines that have arrived in recent years and many of which have faded into the sunset.

In fairness Minelab have spent many years prior to playing catch-up with this machine, so it would be unwise to prejudge it until the rank and file get it fired up out in the fields.

Its a pity that its not completely wire free like other leading manufacturers. but if thats the only problem and it performs it will sell.

I had my first Minelab in the late 1980`s when the Sovereign came along and its stood the test of time.

Minelab will need a official full time service center as it was in times past when their staff were available in Ireland, to talk to us as individuals on the phone and even sometimes face to face.

I will not name individuals, but all the old hands know who I mean.

Happy Xmas to them and everyone and lets welcome 2018 with optimism.

Jerry. ::g

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”