Lost a Sale, Minelab!

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Tisserand

Lost a Sale, Minelab!

Post by Tisserand » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:23 pm

I am sure I am not the only one but perhaps Minelab will take note!

I heard all the hype and promises since the first announcement. Many claims were unsupported and the weaknesses were not revealed. Still, we (I) waited for a chance to see if this was THE DETECTOR that would be in my arsenal. Many 'release' dates were established but failed to materialize. Here I waited, money in hand, but still no availability.

Well I, like many others, have more than one hobby. This past weekend I went to England to a function with my other hobby and the opportunity arose to buy a machine for that hobby. The machine cost more than an Equinox 800 but I decided to buy it anyway. Due to Minelabs' ridiculous delays, I no longer have the money available to buy the Equinox.(LOST SALE) I know my decision to buy something else is not going to bankrupt ML but maybe someone at ML will realize their actions were not good business sense.
°

THE MOLE

Re: Lost a Sale, Minelab!

Post by THE MOLE » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:36 pm

i wouldn't of waited either ::g
Just using the Force Image

the-roman

Post by the-roman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:40 pm

I'm happy with the machine I've got :))
Only the best, XP Goldmaxx power .... F.I.D member ::g
And a proud member of the best club in Somerset, Wessex Searchers MDC ::g
www.wessexsearchers.club

GeoffBristol

Post by GeoffBristol » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:49 pm

If I had pre ordered and put down a deposit I would have asked for my money back and told them to shove it a long time ago.
Geoff
DEUS
SPECTRA 3Vi

Macroman

Post by Macroman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:02 pm

If I were intent on buying a new Minelab...by now I would have definitely cancelled my order....seems to me that they have lost the plot...also there are now even more choices of top end Metal detectors,all of them seem to be upping their game with advanced sophistication.
Good hunting.. ::g

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Obviously there was a huge amount of hype and now not actually being able to purchase the machine is hugely frustrating / dissapointing.
It does however appear there is a high demand for these machines especially for the 800 version, I know many dealers who have been getting their equinox machines but the shipments have only been enough to cater / fulfil part of their Pre-Orders.
mrix

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Tisserand wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:23 pm
maybe someone at ML will realize their actions were not good business sense.
°
If you dont tell them, they wont realise.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Just sent an email off to Minelab ::g
mrix

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:34 pm

Off topic replies removed, please remember to stay on topic within this Equinox specific forum ::g
Thanks
mrix

ozzy1977

Post by ozzy1977 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:41 pm

Same story with me, i was going to buy a new equinox 600 but due to the over hyped and messed up delivery of the mythical machine bought a second hand safari.

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:28 pm

I'm quite sure the Exec at Minelab have always realised that missed deadlines are not good for business, and have been doing absolutely everything in their power to get their machines into the hands of valued customers. So, any such protestations will fall on "yes, we already know that !" ears.

In truth we in the western world are such intolerant creatures nowadays, that I cannot help but feel for the sad loss to your 'arsenal'. :'(
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

fred

Post by fred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:35 pm

One of the guys from our club has actually just got one! ::g
Equinox 800 x2
CTX x2
Explorer II (for the Thames)

Nectardetector

Post by Nectardetector » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 pm

2 people in me club has them one off them found a sovereign penny at 8 inch Romans and cut half’s if that means out nothing another machine wouldnt do didn’t nothey picked up coke which a wasn’t keen on
Year 4
Gold hammered =1
Silver hammered =136
Gold sovs=2
Gold medieval rings =2
Roman silver =2

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:52 am

@Bfg and in general...

You are probably right, Minelab execs are probably doing everything they can to rectify the problems they have created... except for one crucial thing... communicating with their customers!

And in this instance when I say customers I mean both us as end customers, but also the retailers who are buying wholesale.

I know, from speaking to a couple or retailers, that the they are getting very little info about their deliveries and that includes not knowing how many they are getting, exactly when, or the split between 600 and 800s.

I struggle to believe that a professionally run company has such a poor supply chain in this day and age... computers and stock systems do work down under as far as I know... maybe they use the KFC systems!

And as for end customers, i.e. us... we don't seem to count!

There is nothing on the Minelab website explaining, or even mentioning, delivery delays. Nothing about why it appeared that everywhere in the world got the machines before the UK - even though it was parachute announced on UK soil first. Nothing to update to those still waiting for pre-order machines. And nothing suggesting when the supply issues will be fully resolved.

In fact there's nothing on the Minelab site suggesting there are any issues at all with the supply of the Equinox.

Sorry, I think there's a second crucial thing... apologising!

If this was an issue at Apple or Amazon they'd have apologised when they missed the very first launch date (that they set) and given repeatedly impacted customers 20% discount off a future accessory or some such gesture.

And it's the better customer service of these types of companies that has created expectations in modern consumers, expectations that Minelab have fallen well short of.

Rant over... and I still want one :D
Equinox 600, Rutus Alter 71, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade

Arch Stanton

Post by Arch Stanton » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:01 am

Well it must be very time-consuming, parachuting them in one at a time like that! ;) I've just entered a competition to try and win one, so will be keeping my eye on the sky :-SS
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 am

Couple of points...

1. You didn`t pay a deposit or full price to Minelab ...you chose to pay to a retailer who had no stock and no official idea or confirmed date when the goods were arriving.
2. Its a metal detector, its not life or death.
3. Thanks to you cancelling somebody else moved up the queue.

"Pre-ordering" is just hype & pish so somebody is "the kid with the new toy"........

It would have been better if Minelab hadn`t rushed the test model to coincide with detectevil, let the developers/testers get on with it, put the stock in the stores & had a Spring Equinox 2018 "sales launch" when folk could actually buy them!

Simples. ::g
Opinions expressed on MY posts are mine and NOT those of any democratic organisation I volunteer for. ::g

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:51 am

After my little rant I decided to email Minelab and ask them what was going on.

I used the Sales email address on their main site... and it bounced as Underliverable!

I will forward my email to their service email and see if I get it through on second go.
Equinox 600, Rutus Alter 71, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade

Bfg

Post by Bfg » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:35 am

Apologies for my prior tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. I do know how infuriating it can be. :E

Over the years I've owned six businesses and been management in several others, and I know only too well how frustrating suppliers can be. They take on the work because that is what they are 'conditioned' to do, perhaps even stretching the facts as to their resources to get the work. But it only takes one (seemingly inconsequential) supplier along the whole production sequence to bring things to a halt.

They might be a little family business, way down the food chain, and simply making widgets for a supplier to a Minelab supplier ! But their machine is bust.. When that machine gets fixed is down to getting an unobtainable part shipped in from a different continent. They have no idea how important that part / that deadline is ..until the pressure comes down on them like a ton of bricks. Overwhelmed they don't even know which way is up, let alone ' when' it be done.

I've been there, at the top of the food chain ..frustrated and waiting ! And it doesn't help to rant n' rave at your supplier, as that just puts up barriers. Nor does it help to blame them and say that you'll never use them again. So saying to the public "we've all been badly let down here" might passify a few customers, for just a few more days ..but is like sending a messenger to the supplier ..to say "the axe man is on the way". The supplier then throws his hands up in the air and exclaims "why should I bother then ?" No, it's better to support that supplier as best you can, but to otherwise keep shtum.

Assuming Minelab Exec are in this position ..and are doing all they can - I am sure they have apologised to their wholesalers & distribution outlets, and asked their retailers to personally pass this apology on to awaiting customers. Those who are not on the retailer's lists of course wouldn't get that personal apology.

In a few months time those machines will be out there, and this unfortunate episode will be all but forgotten. Within Minelab however I'm sure things will be very different, thanks to lessons learnt.

Trying to see things from the other person's perspective, helps me be more patient. Perhaps it will work for you too.? In the meantime be glad you have another metal-detector to enjoy the springtime weather with.

Best regards [:)
. . . . . . . . . . . . There is more worth in a kindness than in gold. Introduce yourself : old giffer taking fist baby steps in md'g Minelab E-trac

Billy Doyle

Post by Billy Doyle » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:29 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 am
I'm in that queue and would be more than happy if more people would like withdraw, moving my delivery date ever nearer! ;)

Looking forward to getting it!!! ::g

Fireburst

Post by Fireburst » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:19 pm

I will be purchasing one for my beach work as it seems to tick all the boxes for me. I've not pre-ordered as I'm in no rush and will happily take delivery in the late summer.

equinox

Post by equinox » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:46 pm

Billy Doyle wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:29 pm
jcmaloney wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 am
I'm in that queue and would be more than happy if more people would like withdraw, moving my delivery date ever nearer! ;)

Looking forward to getting it!!! ::g
let them cancel and i will have my 800 quicker talks i have had with my dealer it seems to be worth the wait ::g

Rah7265

Post by Rah7265 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:33 pm

If this is how Minelab treat their customers at point of sale (or none sale for everyone who preordered and still hasn’t got theirs) how will customers be treated on warranty claims?

I cannot agree with comments that lay the blame with retailers for taking orders when they didn’t have stock, orders were placed against delivery dates set by Minelab no one else.
Their absolute lack of apology’s or the need to keep customers informed demonstrates a complete contempt for U.K. customers.

I am sure lots of people will disagree with my opinion but I hate bad service.

AndyM

Post by AndyM » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:22 pm

If you dont own one how can that be classed as bad service? If you are aware there is a shortfall and take the offer to "pre-order" to get yours after the person in front of you in the queue why is that an issue?, Minelab are not taking your deposits, the authorised dealers are, so if they are hypothetically taking deposits for stock they dont have then how is that the manufacturers fault? Just asking out of curiosity as I dont get the I want it yesterday rush rush rush train of thought, you know as well as I do the novelty will be gone within a week of taking delivery whenever that will be. No publicity is bad publicity, a few test reports from the usual sponsored suspects drives demand like wildfire. It's all a big game that consumers fall for time and time again. For those that have ordered them and are waiting patiently then I sincerely hope they arrive soon. ::g

Tisserand

Post by Tisserand » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:59 am

Let me respond to some of the comments to my original post...
I did not put a down payment down on an 'unproven' product. Why would I do that especially when this is the first time of purchasing a detector from ML? I have owned detectors since 1982, all the same brand with fantastic service. After reading comments about ML, I was unsure of it's service so I did not pre-order.

Since I did not pre-order, no one else will be 'advancing' in the queue since I was never in the queue...sorry guys.

Patience? 6 months is far too long to consider arguing patience. It is ridiculous for any manufacturer to assume dedicated customers will have patience...especially when it is their first ML purchase.

Again, I have owned the same brand detectors for 36 yrs. Perhaps if I bought a ML unit, they would have acquired another long time customer however, that does not seem to be possible now.

DiggertyDiggerty

Post by DiggertyDiggerty » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:58 am

I think a lot of the bad feeling about delivery, pre-orders etc could have easily been avoided by Minelab if they updated their customers and retailers on what is happening with deliveries, numbers of machines available etc. Instead they have just churned out "News Updates" about how Billy Bob has found his grannies gold tooth with his Equinox.
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett AT PRO
Deteknix Pinpointer

geoman

Post by geoman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:43 am

I have always been one to let the others buy the new "super find everything that has been missed by others detector", the measure of which is usually judged by how many appear in the small ads.

At the moment i am happy with my Deus.

equinox

Post by equinox » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:26 pm

DiggertyDiggerty wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:58 am
I think a lot of the bad feeling about delivery, pre-orders etc could have easily been avoided by Minelab if they updated their customers and retailers on what is happening with deliveries, numbers of machines available etc. Instead they have just churned out "News Updates" about how Billy Bob has found his grannies gold tooth with his Equinox.
all i can say is my dealer has been keeping me well up to speed,my equinox should arrive in the morning and that is 2 weeks sooner than estimated so all i say is nice one dealer from this happy bunny :D

Macroman

Post by Macroman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:11 am

It's very very simple...,"IF YOU'RE PAYIN..then YOU-RE SAYIN....,(very old Yorkshire saying)..but true !!
Good hunting everyone.. ::g

indie

Post by indie » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:23 am

From a release date to a release date

Takes the biscuit if you ask me. Many of the pre-order people still waiting for an ETA without a bit of a heads-up. Bad play, bad customer service
Tisserand wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:23 pm
maybe someone at ML will realize their actions were not good business sense.
°
They know already
Chris

Minelab Xterra 705
7.5Khz DD, Nel Sharpshooter 18.75Khz, Cors 12"x13" 3Khz - 18.75Khz
Garrett Carrott, Garmin GpsMap 60, Minelab Pro Swing, ada long spade

Junior

Post by Junior » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:43 am

Talked to a 600 owner yesterday. He's happy with it. He went to à small dealer and got his 600 there and then went out with 2 mates on there permission. They weren't getting nowt on there permission and he woz b it only badges and junk coins. They ordered 2x 800 from the small dealer who only had a list of 8 waitiñg a week later they had them ...I'm going to wait and see if anymore issues surface.

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”