William & Mary...

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Equinox series of metal detector within this forum.
Bargeman

William & Mary...

Post by Bargeman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Back in the mists of time we were promised a new detector by those strange folks at Minelab, as long as we gave them some sheckles up front, never asked when we would get this new toy, or even if we would ever see one of these mystical machines.
So in a moment of blind faith I put my name down, and waited, oh and as it happens waited some more, and a bit longer too, and even a bit on top of that x; But then in a new year, and under a new moon, I got the call, and my new Equinox 800 had touched down. So in a sort of bemused excitement, like a child on Christmas morning opening a bike shaped package and finding a bike, I opened a small oblong box and found a detector that I already knew was inside. And in a way that seems to be a male trait, I discarded the assembly instructions, and slotted the five pieces together, and there stood before me was my new Minelab.

So detector charged, and headphones charged, I was ready for the field, or was I? well no as it happens, first I sat in front of the tube, and watched the Searcher channel, and Daniel Spencer in particular, and from there I installed the searcher settings to my 800, before actually heading out to the field. It was in the field where I found the same old problem with all detectors that I have used, and that being the fact that the arm strap is too short when wearing a coat, it is only 2" too short, but that means the velcro does not lock against each other, a problem I have with my CTX and fixed with insulating tape holding the strap together ;;z

So on the field the first order of the day was to place three coins on the grass, and swing over to hear the tones, and see what numbers they bring up, this bought up a surprise and I have more work to do to find the answer, first coin was my recent Celtic silver, this gave a lovely tone that you could not help but dig, second was a young Lizzie half penny, this too gave a banging signal as you would expect from a coin on the surface, the last coin was a young Lizzie Farthing, and this resulted in nothing, zilch, nada, not a bleeding sausage x; How could it see a half penny and not a farthing?? I have no idea, but I shall be playing with it to find out.

So a little shocked by that result, I walked off, my first signal was a reasonable two way signal, and it was the same at 90 degrees, so I dug a plug, and it was still in the hole, so I dug some more, and there in the bottom of the hole at a full probe depth, was a green coin.

after cleaning when I got home, this turned out to be a William and Mary half penny, so well pleased with that for a first target.

My next target was very hit or miss, but as it is a new machine I dig everything, and this again was deep, and was a small flat button.

I then dug a couple of other random items, the metal heel protector from a clog, complete with nails, and a couple of the usual small ringlets.

So what are my initial thoughts, the 800 is oh so very light, the build quality is very good, no loose shaft, and I think this is caused by people over tightening the lock rings, there really is no need. I truly wish the arm strap was longer. But the tones are nice, the machine is very stiff and has no wobble, the screen is very clear even in sunlight. The pin pointer facility is very accurate but really loud x;

One of the things I like about this detector, and one of the reasons I put myself in the frame for one, is that fact it folds down nice and small, which means I can carry it on my bike in the summer ::g

BM [:)

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Steve_T

Re: William & Mary...

Post by Steve_T » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:57 pm

A very good appraisal, I'm sure you will master and tame it to find the goodies, you sound very positive about it which I think is half the battle when mastering something

Not many William and Mary coins around so you have a special with it already at at depth ::g

As to Velcro you can get that in various lengths so no doubt you'll get that sorted too

Regards Steve

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:40 pm

Hello 'Bargeman' ::g I agree with Steve_T. That's a well observed and interesting account of your findings. Not forgetting there were some good finds made too! ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:31 am

Sounds interesting
Thanks for posting it up.
By the way that’s One helluva crater
For a wee green coin :D
ne’er scald yer mou wi ither folks kale

fred

Post by fred » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:08 am

Lowland wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:31 am
Sounds interesting

Great writeup and a very nice first coin. Look forward to finding the answer to the Lizzie farthing problem but does sound like a settings issue and I'm sure that you'll sort it out. ::g

The crater comment is interesting. Firstly because to me it looks just like a normal hole from a different perspective and secondly because I am a fan of digging large holes anyway. I find that large deep hinged sods make deep target recovery much quicker, go back in the hole much easier and are much less likely to leave any trace when they go back. It is also easier to probe about down the hole if you need to. :D

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:17 am

fred wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:08 am
Lowland wrote:
Sounds interesting

Great writeup and a very nice first coin. Look forward to finding the answer to the Lizzie farthing problem but does sound like a settings issue and I'm sure that you'll sort it out. ::g

The crater comment is interesting. Firstly because to me it looks just like a normal hole from a different perspective and secondly because I am a fan of digging large holes anyway. I find that large deep hinged sods make deep target recovery much quicker, go back in the hole much easier and are much less likely to leave any trace when they go back. It is also easier to probe about down the hole if you need to. :D
I shall enlarge my holes accordingly.
::g

fred

Post by fred » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 am

Lowland wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:17 am
fred wrote:
Lowland wrote:
Sounds interesting

A JCB it is then! :D

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:09 am

fred wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 am
Lowland wrote:
fred wrote:

One other thought -perhaps I’m not digging many targets at those depths :)]
- I can safely say I’ve never dug a metal detecting hole I could fit a bucket in.
The hinged sod is a good tip-makes re-knitting of the turf a lot quicker with some
Roots still intact.
You’re right about a deep sod -(ground conditions allowing)
Also makes it harder fir grazing beasties to pull the flipping thing up as well.
Once went back to a shallow soil site
The day after a dig
and couldn’t work out why half my holes were reopened.... :E

fred

Post by fred » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:23 am

Lowland wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:09 am
fred wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 am
Lowland wrote:

One other thought -perhaps I’m not digging many targets at those depths :)]
- I can safely say I’ve never dug a metal detecting hole I could fit a bucket in.
The hinged sod is a good tip-makes re-knitting of the turf a lot quicker with some
Roots still intact.
You’re right about a deep sod -(ground conditions allowing)
Also makes it harder fir grazing beasties to pull the flipping thing up as well.
Once went back to a shallow soil site
The day after a dig
and couldn’t work out why half my holes were reopened.... :E
On land, especially pasture, I reckon about 8 inches across is about right. The spade that I use is a transplanting one which has a long blade with a slight curve across it. Two cuts give me a hinged plug about the right size and about 8 inches deep. About half of my targets are within the plug and most of those that aren't are within a couple of inches of it. The proportion of deep targets increase as sites are cleared and the interference from the surface stuff lessens so that I can start digging more iffy signals. ::g

My main problem with holes are rabbits using the weakness that they create as a starter for their own excavations. :D

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:48 pm

So this farthing anomaly has been playing on my mind, why would the detector not see anything, every detector I own will pick up a farthing, and to prove that point my CTX did just that on some pasture today. Oh it was a George V for those interested. So when I got back to my Barge, I did a full factory reset, and reloaded the same set of settings from the Searcher mag youtube channel as before, and once done I did an air test (well my barge is all iron) and sure enough the 800 gave a good signal right where I thought it would be. ::g So now I need to try it again on some grass, to see if it was the coin, or if I had programmed something wrong the first time. x;

Rutus Alter 71
Equinox 800
CTX 3030
XP Goldmaxx Power

Saki

Post by Saki » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:24 am

Great read and lovely first find ::g
Ace400i with Nel Thunder
Garrett Carrot
CScope CS2M
Wish list: MINELAB EQUINOX 800.

A great feeling finding my first hammie
I'm actually still rubbing it ...

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:01 am

Hi BM, A great write up with super pics and a nice find of the William & Mary.
Quite an unexpected initial failure of your Equinox to detect the “young Lizzie Farthing”, I'd be interested to know the cause of that, no doubt you were too enthralled with your new machine to think about flicking through the different programs at the time to see if they could see it?
I appreciate that for some an arm strap maybe a necessity but for others it may just be a habit or not even necessary for such a light machine. I doubt that many actually use them as they often can be more of hindrance than a help unless on a heavy machine. Either a longer vecro strip or a double sided extension may suit. ::g
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil, 2nd Garrett Carrot. %)=
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

fred

Post by fred » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:23 am

Bargeman wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:48 pm
So when I got back to my Barge, I did a full factory reset, and reloaded the same set of settings from the Searcher mag youtube channel as before, and once done I did an air test (well my barge is all iron) and sure enough the 800 gave a good signal right where I thought it would be. ::g So now I need to try it again on some grass, to see if it was the coin, or if I had programmed something wrong the first time. x;

I bet that was a relief for you. :D Hopefully just a programming error or possibly you put the coin directly on something buried which nulled it?

Taxino8

Post by Taxino8 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:28 pm

fred wrote:
Lowland wrote:
Sounds interesting
I’m with you on the large hole in pasture, I find it worth doing for exactly the same reasons.
XP Deus
CTX 3030
Garrett Propointer
1/2 Share in Garrett ATX

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Taxino8 wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:28 pm
fred wrote:
Lowland wrote:
Sounds interesting
I’m with you on the large hole in pasture, I find it worth doing for exactly the same reasons.
I too dig a largish hole on pasture...Twas just the panoramic lens that had me!
:D

Return to “Minelab Equinox Forum”