Laser Trident Settings

Topics related to Tesoro / Laser metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Tesoro / Laser Videos
zippycal

Laser Trident Settings

Post by zippycal » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Hey guys, I'm after some advice....

I have a Laser Trident 1 with the standard concentric coil. I was wondering if anyone can give some advise on the best settings and helpful tips to understand the beeps! I have been detecting with it for approx 30 hours and still getting to grips with the tones.

I tend to have the following settings.... Discrimination between iron and foil, Sensitivity 10 and threshold around the 2 o'clock position (same angle as sensitivity)

I have had some good success with the Trident so far with some great copper coins and the odd couple of silver coins, and quite a fair amount of iron (which to me is giving off a nice strong signal)

I was wondering if anyone can give an idea of the kind of tones to hear and with my settings am I missing anything else, missing silver, gold?

Also at which point of the standard concentric coil gives the pinpoint?

I have tried the super tune feature found on you tube but I get quite a lot of chatter coming back and end up digging nothing! So tend to use the settings described above.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Zippy

Oaktree

Re: Laser Trident Settings

Post by Oaktree » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:12 am

Put your detector in the all metal mode.then turn your threshold up until you hear a faint background hum.(with headphones on),then back into discrimate mode,turn the sensitivity up until you get a chattering sound,then back it off until it stops.you should be ok with that.ive had a few laser /Tesoro detectors and had great success with them.as to the signals,it's something that you will get used to.always dig an iffy signal.good luck with it.

Count de Washers

Post by Count de Washers » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:34 am

I wonder about supertuning - why don't Tesoro mention it in the instruction manual?

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:05 am

Supertuning turning by turning the threshold up.

Makes some deep targets sound louder

But

You loose the ability to hear how deep signals are

You loose the ability to use all metal mode without turning the threshold back down.

You loose some of the faint whisper faint deep signals. (they sound like broken iron)

Unless you are detecting only with the speaker there is no point

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:14 am

The main setting that affects depth on Tesoro/Laser is the groundbalance and discrimination

Get it wrong and your detector will not find larger silver coins.

Too much discrimination you will loose depth on small items especially if they are on there edge and thin lead.

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:32 am

Tips for not digging iron on Tesoro/Laser

Use good quality headphones otherwise you won't here the different tones

Some large iron gives a good tone. Your listening for any chopped audio. Swing higher and higher above loud shallow beeps. Good targets will always fade away whereas iron often has a sudden cut off. From swinging over the centre gradually swing of the front and back is there a loud chopped audio if the is it will be iron.

The main method which takes quite a bit of practice. In all metal mode with a medium sweep speed iron gives a rounded beeeeeeeeeeeeeep and none furious gives a much sharper beep

zippycal

Post by zippycal » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:34 am

Thanks for the replies guys,

I have done the super tune a few times but I don't like the chatter, so have been sticking to the setting I described in the original post, gotta admit I really love the machine it is nice to be able to learn it without having the fancy screens and multiple tones.

zippy

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:58 am

Forgot to mention

There is a slight difference between each machine so each persons number on there machine will be slightly different.

I set the discrimination to slightly reject a rusty forged nail. If I am digging too much iron I turn it up slightly. I do mean slightly less than a mm at the pointer.

Sensitivity your machine need to be quite enough to here those faint tones. Sometime it can be chattering while still but silent when the coil is in motion. Basically a bit of trail and error. I start too high and sweep a metal free bit of ground (test in all metal mode) and slowly turn it down until there is no chatter.

Loads of information on the older Tesoro machines on findmall.com (Laser's are the same) look for the posts by "Monte"

Don't expect to dig no iron. If you aren't digging a bit of iron your probably using too much discrimination. Iron rings often fool you.

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:15 pm

I sometimes hunt in all metal mode on quite fields then check the target in discrimination mode. Picks up off centre targets that Disc mode would miss due to sloppy swing pattern.

Your ears can hear a small increase better at lower than higher levels.

Lets see if I can explain this better.

Volume of sound hypothetically runs from 1 to 10

If the sound is on 1 then moves to 2 you hear a big difference

If the sound is on 9 then moves to 10 you hear a small difference

I set the threshold to just audible you have to concentrate to hear it.

zippycal

Post by zippycal » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Excellent Koala, thanks very much for your detailed responses.

Koala

Post by Koala » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:45 pm

Your welcome

The more you use it he more you find your own techniques.

Even though they are single tone each tone is slightly different. Aluminium and lead often give a slightly different tone more rounded. Deep copper become recognisable. Coke gives load of different types of sound but one you can always ignored is boing. Most can't be heard on the speaker only on headphone.

Good luck and happy hunting. ::g

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:13 pm

I use a Trident11 Extreme with the 11x8 WS coil on,the main difference between the 2 Trident models is that one has fixed GB and the other one being the 11 has manual as well as fixed GB.

Must admit i never supertune mine,i will admit it can give you some extra depth but i feel it maks it slightly more erratic,but that is of course just my personal choice,the Trident runs slightly hot anyway and i prefer too run mine at about 8 sensitivity and discrimination just so it knocks out a small nail that i carry with me.Good headphones are a must with the Trident i use Predators that keep almost all the external noise out but allow you to hear the 'chopped audio' but allow the decent signal through.

Although i do have the 11x8 stock coil i much prefer the 5.75'' Concentric coil as the main coil,great for really trashy sites and also very good for stubble busting,its not my main machine as that crown belongs too the Deus,but the Tridents are very nice machines and dont miss much.

The beauty of the Trident series is they are as light as a feather even with the 11'' coil on,sometimes its just nice to go back to basics and use a machine without a screen,i like the ability of just switching it on and off again at the end of the detecting session,but also with a steady flow of finds into your finds pouch.

I dont run my Trident as hot as some folks do across the pond,but it does everything that i want from possibly one of the best discriminating machine about.

I also use a Laser B3 with a 10.5'' Concentric coil,it may be old but still a joy too use and also a Silver Sabre11.

russ 1

Post by russ 1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:52 pm

I was surprised how good my trident 2 is on the beach including the wet sand

salford44

Post by salford44 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 am

I have now got myself a Trident 1 after having problems with a Euro Sabre but thats another story.I have been out with it about 4-5 times now and like yourself tried all settings and I have now found that running the discrim as low as possible and then when getting a good signal turn discrim back up to 12 o clock position and if you are still getting good signal dig it,it is almost always non-ferrous.Also with disc at lower level I find the signals come through louder,and I have sensitivity as high as possible and threshold at steady hum.I have tried the supertuning tip but still find I get better results with a steady threshold.I felt I was missing stuff when having disc between iron and foil and I am now finding more stuff and also deeper stuff with disc at minimum because it still knocks out a certain amount of iron even at this setting.Its worth tryingthese settings on your sites,its definately worked on mine ::g
FISHER 1236x2,FISHER 1270.

russ 1

Post by russ 1 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:12 pm

sounds good will try that, used to do that on my classic whites, disc knob was in a good spot just used index finger to go up or down, trident reminds me of that one ::g

tsands34

HI I HAVE TRIDENT 11

Post by tsands34 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:06 pm

I HAVE A TRUDENT 11 WHEN I TURN IT ON IT KEEPS CHATTERING TRYED CHANGE BATTERIES BUT STILL DOIING SAME ANY IDEAS

Blackadder43

Re: HI I HAVE TRIDENT 11

Post by Blackadder43 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:21 pm

tsands34 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:06 pm
I HAVE A TRUDENT 11 WHEN I TURN IT ON IT KEEPS CHATTERING TRYED CHANGE BATTERIES BUT STILL DOIING SAME ANY IDEAS
Well its possible that shouting at it is scaring it!
But more than likely is turning it on in a house will make it chatter with all the interference and if it happens outside then you need to turn down the sensitivity
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

tsands34

Post by tsands34 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:28 pm

russ 1 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:52 pm
I was surprised how good my trident 2 is on the beach including the wet sand
i got trident 11 realie bad on wet sand

russ 1

Post by russ 1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:12 pm

sorry not swapping :)) :))