am after a Tejon?

Topics related to Tesoro / Laser metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Tesoro / Laser Videos
russ 1

am after a Tejon?

Post by russ 1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi all ,just after some expert advice, I m looking to get a Tejon but is there much difference between the 9x8 inch coil and the 11 inch dd coil or is the machine still pretty good with the 9x8? cheers Russ.

Koala

Re: am after a Tejon?

Post by Koala » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Take it your talking about the 8 x 11 wide-scan search coil

Performance will be almost identical.

Coverage will be larger

Flat iron ID will be worse

Pinpointing shallow targets is static mode the DD will be worse

In some grounds the DD will preforms better. Generally not a factor in the UK more like the Australian gold fields.
Last edited by Koala on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Don't. :))
Its a brute of a machine and I really wanted to throw it over the hedge.
Yes, it found goo stuff but oh boy....with no tones and no numbers either I was digging waaay too much iron.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

russ 1

Post by russ 1 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:16 pm

thanks for the replys , I m a knobs only searcher so sounds like I may try one, prob with the standard 9 x 8 coil... ::g

Bibelot

Post by Bibelot » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:13 am

The 9x8 works just as well as the 11x8.

Digemdeep

Post by Digemdeep » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:03 pm

I have just read the kindle (e-book) on the Tejon by this guy who has been using it for 10 years.
He prefers it to the tone-id and multi-tone detectors. It is his favourite detector.
He explains in detail how you can read the tonal variations to hear the differences between iron and other targets.
Very useful for existing and potential users of the Tejon (in my not so humble opinion).
http://www.njminerals.org/metaldetecting-tejon.html
::g

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:10 pm

Always good to read the experiences of someone who has really got into a machine.
However it really does depend on your ears. Mine are a bit duff tbh. If your hearing isn't great then the little tells on a single tone machine are not picked up. I have tinnitus a bit too which makes it even more difficult to hear spits and so forth.
To each their own. I had used Tesoros a lot before getting the Tejon but just couldn't get on with it, though in fairness I did dig a hammy (Really knocked up Lizzy Groat) first time out.) But unless you have confidence you are getting all the info it is a trial. A hugely experienced detectorist who has pretty much tried every machine out there said the same as me.
No doubting its capabilities....but we are the other part of the team. Anyone with less than good hearing should avoid IMO.

Digemdeep

Post by Digemdeep » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:22 pm

littleboot wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:10 pm
Always good to read the experiences of someone who has really got into a machine.
However it really does depend on your ears. Mine are a bit duff tbh. If your hearing isn't great then the little tells on a single tone machine are not picked up. I have tinnitus a bit too which makes it even more difficult to hear spits and so forth.
One thing that was a big selling point for me when I bought my Tejon, was the knob which allows the adjustment of the audio tone from very high to very low and anywhere in between, as shown in this video.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:11 pm

Yes that's all well and good. But being a single tone machine...whichever tone you set it to...means you rely on the 'shape' of the tone for ID. Thus its the little spits and the edges of the tone itself that are most important. And that is what I missed.
Having tried a whole variety of tone settings on the Tejon in an ultimately forlorn attempt to find one that allowed me to clearly follow its language.
I ultimately got frustrated with Tesoro in general. They seemed to never be able to get all the ducks in a row and produce a machine what had a full spectrum of the best bits of their technology. The Invincible had excellent tones...but wasn't very deep. The Tejon was much more powerful but lacked the tones. Others were good at pinpointing but lacked both tones and depth etc etc etc.
In the end I simply gave up and cut to chase and bought something else that did all of the above.
Good luck with it. I feel its a marmite machine....

borderfox

Post by borderfox » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:45 pm

The Tesoro Tejon is, I think, a metal detector for operators who have already had lots of time, and experience, with 'beep and dig' machines, and have accumulated sufficient proficiency to enable them to progress to using one. Tesoro emphasise this in their sales advertisements. The Tejon doesn't need to be used 'flat out'. It has very powerful circuitry, which absolutely precludes this mode of search in all but very rare instances : performance can be reduced significantly by operating this way; as one might with a say Tesoro Vaquero. I can fully understand why some people give up with a Tejon if they don't possess the capacity to go steady with the machine. In my humble opinion a Tesoro Tejon coil arsenal need only to comprise of the 10x12" DD, the 5.75" CONCENTRIC, and the 5x10" ELLIPTICAL, respectively... The correct choice of coil/ground conditions, make the Tejon a much more endearing beast. (The 5.75 CONCENTRIC is Brilliant in iron laden ground on the Tejon, and is best ordered through Mr. Frank Mellish of Treasure World Metal Detectors, in the U.K :Tesoro importer, as the trend seems to lean towards the for the 5.75 DD coil....) These observations are solely based on my experience with the Tesoro Tejon, and not those of more seasoned veterans of the hobby, and as such are open to dismissal... However, I would be gutted if I were forced to have to part with my old TehHone warhorse. ::g

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:22 pm

I can fully understand why some people give up with a Tejon if they don't possess the capacity to go steady with the machine
I take exception to this . I have LOTS of experience (I.e. OVER THEE DECADES) of experience of beep and dig machines. and a great deal of experience with Tesoros in general. I used a variety of coils on my Tejon. I assure you I beeping well DO possess the capacity to go steady with a machine, thanks very much. I generally keep my machines for many years and the Tejon is the one exception.

I spoke to a guy about it who has not only used pretty much every machine made in the last 40 years but has sold them too, and found rooms full of stuff to boot.....and he concurred with me. In fact he was MUCH more anti the thing than I was. But what does he know eh?

I use a machine that operates in pretty much the same KHZ range, is intuitive, beep and dig, no numbers, takes time to gel with and requires you get on its wavelength over a period of time it gets better. If the Tejon does that for you then good luck to you. All I can say is I was mighty relieved to offload it and get back to enjoying my hobby again without the frustration. It needed MULTI TONES. Perfectly doable but Tesoro didn't do it.
If they had, who now, it may have become as popular as the machine I use rather than a fringe machine.

borderfox

Post by borderfox » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:01 pm

May I offer my sincerest apologies Littleboot for 'raising your hackles'... I can see how you have interpreted the wording of my observations as being derogatory towards your comments regarding the Tejon... In my defence, I was merely voicing my opinion based on My Own early operating mistakes with the Tejon, and basing my opinions soley on those facts. I Did rush at things with the Tejon; I Did use Way too much gain,; I Did use the wrong coils for certain situations: until I calmed down, slowed up, and began learning from the machine, and those respective errors of mine. As I said: These are merely observations based on My experiences, and are open to dismissal from more seasoned veterans of the hobby... Tesoro Tejons Are 'marmite' machines... There are probably several other 'marmite' machines out there as well, perhaps? ::g Again, my sincerest apologies for any upset, I had no intention of upsetting anybody. In future I shall keep my opinions to myself :) All the best.

Return to “Tesoro / Laser Forum”