Double-D widescan coils vs Concentric?

Topics related to Tesoro / Laser metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Tesoro / Laser Videos
Arch Stanton

Double-D widescan coils vs Concentric?

Post by Arch Stanton » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:24 am

Hi all, I'm asking this question about coils generally, but also more specifically in relation to the Laser Hawkeye. Basically whilst awaiting the reviews of the Equinox, before possibly upgrading, I am considering what I can do to the Hawkeye to increase its already impressive performance. I've had it serviced and recalibrated at Pentechnic's (brilliant and thoroughly recommended btw!) but am now looking at coils. It has a standard 8"x9" concentric web coil and although it's quite deep, just wondered if I can eke a little more out of it? My question is will an 8"x11" DD widescan coil give it any more depth or just better coverage? The new Hawkeye's seem to be sold with this coil now, so I guess it must be better? I mostly detect on quiet pasture, and have a Boosted Laser Scout for getting in amongst the trashy stuff, so separation isn't too much of an issue. There is also a 10"x12" DD coil available for a bit more money, but will I be doing better to put the money towards an upgrade, or would I see noticeable benefits with a bigger coil? I would be most grateful for any real-world advice on this, because I'm getting very confused!! Cheers Everyone and be lucky ::g

I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

Mega B

Re: Double-D widescan coils vs Concentric?

Post by Mega B » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:52 am

The 11x8 coil is a nice lightweight coil i have one on a Trident11 Extreme,it does give you momre ground coverage and also some depth as well,but like most of these slightly larger coils they dont give a massive amount of extra depth,but it is a coil that gets my vote.The 12x10 coil from Tesoro is alot heavier and not much deeper.

The 11x8 could well be the best way forward for you until you make your mind up about your next machine,i find for its size and when mounted on the Trident its a really light setup in the same league weight wise as my T2.

The Hawkeye is a good general all round machine but its gradually getting out dated and basically Tesoro/Laser have dropped behind in the detector scene and have basically become a has been company.

If you are looking at keeping it then the 11x8 coil could well be a very good option

Arch Stanton

Re: Double-D widescan coils vs Concentric?

Post by Arch Stanton » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:59 am

Thanks for the info Mega B - The videos I've seen on the 8"x11" DD look good, but grateful for the real-world advice. I will be keeping the Hawkeye when I upgrade, because I like it a lot, so looks like a worthwhile investment :)
I've done the 'buckle boogie', the 'musket-ball mambo' and even the 'silver shuffle', but sadly still no 'gold dance'. You're really gonna know it when you see it though!

Return to “Tesoro / Laser Forum”