Alter 71 won't ground balance.

Topics related to RUTUS metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
DelphiOne

Alter 71 won't ground balance.

Post by DelphiOne » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi out today with brand new Rutus Alter 71 V2. The whole stubble field i was on today was damp, i must have tried over 50 times to ground balance all attempts were in different parts of the field and every single attempt failed with the ( ? -86 to -83) and two tones. Is this the Achilles heal with the rutus, i know it's in the manual ( eg wet meadow ) machine seems usless if you can't balance it just because the ground is abit damp. Also when i power the machine down im getting horizontal lines across the screen, somtimes one line sometimes maybe a dozen or more.

Can anyone help with the ground balance question
Also has anyone had trouble with artefacts on the screen.

FULLTIMER

Re: Alter 71 won't ground balance.

Post by FULLTIMER » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:00 pm

The reply that I had back from Wiola Rutyna ,
-83, -84 it is normal in UK. Mark: check if detector is more stable with factory preset or with GB and use the way which gives you more stable operation.
MINELAB SAFARI & RUTUS ALTER 71 teamed up with DETEKNIX WIRELESS HEADPHONES

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:09 pm

Turn on your Alter 71...

raise the coil,

pull the trigger,

pull the trigger a second time.

now find an area without a signal and hit the ground balance button,

Now follow prompts on screen, after five pumps of the coil, it will give a reading like ( -83 )
you are ready to go... ::g

BM [:)

Walk that line, torn apart
spend your whole life trying.
Ride that train, free your heart,
it's midnight up in Harlem.

Midnight in Harlem, Tedeschi Trucks Band

DelphiOne

Post by DelphiOne » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Im not seeing what use the v2 update is then because a large chunk of the update is a revised ground balance. I thought the whole idea is to manual balance as the machine will run more stable. If they are saying run it in factory preset what use was V2, seems usless.

DelphiOne

Post by DelphiOne » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:09 pm
Turn on your Alter 71...

raise the coil,

pull the trigger,

pull the trigger a second time.

now find an area without a signal and hit the ground balance button,

Now follow prompts on screen, after five pumps of the coil, it will give a reading like ( -83 )
you are ready to go... ::g

I know how to do GB My question was it wont GB on any part of the field 30+ acres

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:14 pm

DelphiOne wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm
Im not seeing what use the v2 update is then because a large chunk of the update is a revised ground balance. I thought the whole idea is to manual balance as the machine will run more stable. If they are saying run it in factory preset what use was V2, seems usless.
You only run it in factory pre set to find a clean bit of ground, to stop you trying to ground balance of a target, either good or bad ::g

DelphiOne

Post by DelphiOne » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:17 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:14 pm
DelphiOne wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm
You only run it in factory pre set to find a clean bit of ground, to stop you trying to ground balance of a target, either good or bad ::g

Yes did that many times eg factory gb clean ground, Gb ? Fail.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:19 pm

DelphiOne wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:13 pm
I know how to do GB My question was it wont GB on any part of the field 30+ acres

What do you mean it "won't GB" you pump it 5 times, and it gives a reading, that is it, done ::g

Last edited by Bargeman on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DelphiOne

Post by DelphiOne » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:31 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:19 pm
DelphiOne wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:13 pm

What do you mean it "won't GB" you pump it 5 times, and it gives a reading, that is it, done ::g

Bargman do you have V2 software if so you would know they made changes to GB, correct ground balance onscreen reads "OK" along with three sounds alerts of progressively higher pitch.
Im getting on screen "?" two sounds alerts of progressively lower tone. There are another four tone alerts besides these two.

Bargeman

Post by Bargeman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Ahh, I am still on an older version, sorry for the confusion ::g rl;

DelphiOne

Post by DelphiOne » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Bargeman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:34 pm
Ahh, I am still on an older version, sorry for the confusion ::g rl;

Its no problem we get on screen quotes now and audio tones to tell if ground balance is correct or not now. To cut it short i know how to GB mine just wont correctly. I get on screen "?" and two progressive lower tones to tell me GB is not correct. Should be "OK" on screen followed by three progressively higher pitches.

confusing if your on an earlier version. Some one will probably know what im talking about with V2 software.

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:59 pm

I had the earlier version and updated to v2, which was when I contacted Rutus about ground balancing as there was no way I could get the numbers mentioned in the instructions which it seems are based on Polish ground conditions, so as Wiola told me don't worry about it not making the -87 etc as -83 / -84 is normal for UK conditions so if you get this reading or similar you can either stick with that and use the machine as normal or if it is a bit unstable try the factory balance option which I think is set at -87 , I stick with my gb readings which tend to be -84 just the same as before the update.

DelphiOne

Post by DelphiOne » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:04 pm

FULLTIMER wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:59 pm
I had the earlier version and updated to v2, which was when I contacted Rutus about ground balancing as there was no way I could get the numbers mentioned in the instructions which it seems are based on Polish ground conditions, so as Wiola told me don't worry about it not making the -87 etc as -83 / -84 is normal for UK conditions so if you get this reading or similar you can either stick with that and use the machine as normal or if it is a bit unstable try the factory balance option which I think is set at -87 , I stick with my gb readings which tend to be -84 just the same as before the update.
Thanks fulltimer. when you GB do you get the OK quote on screen, i just get ? all the time.

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:29 pm

no just the ? etc but it would seem that this dosn't matter as such as the machine is ground balanced to uk conditions at -83 / -84 so if you are getting similar numbers it will be ground balanced despite the on screen display saying otherwise.

DelphiOne

Post by DelphiOne » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:04 pm

FULLTIMER wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:29 pm
no just the ? etc but it would seem that this dosn't matter as such as the machine is ground balanced to uk conditions at -83 / -84 so if you are getting similar numbers it will be ground balanced despite the on screen display saying otherwise.
Great stuff, though i was going crazy not getting the OK on screen. ::g

Rucky75

Post by Rucky75 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:18 pm

DelphiOne wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:04 pm
FULLTIMER wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:29 pm
Great stuff, though i was going crazy not getting the OK on screen. ::g
Was having the same problem, and i was also going crazy as wherever i tried to GB, i would not get the O.K. Emailed Rutus and sent me explanation, and aslo reading the V2 update manual on the GB also helped. I also get the lines when powering down, so also must be normal. Must say i would feel much better seeing the O.K when i ground balance rather than the ! -!!- !!! or even ?. Other than that still runs great and still finding stuff.

tcawood

Post by tcawood » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:03 pm

I've raised this issue with Rutus as I've had a number of users ask me this question... I suggested they clarify on the website or maybe do a video or something - hopefully they do.

Personally Im happy to run it if I get OK or ? on screen.

Happy hunting.
Rutus Alter 71, Equinox 600, Makro Pinpointer, Spartan Spade
YouTube - tcDetects

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:15 pm

A few other machines have struggled to ground balance

The work around for these has been either

Raising the coil further of the ground

Or temporarily lowering the sensitivity while doing the ground balance

Must be worth a shot

DelphiOne

Post by DelphiOne » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:18 pm

Just an update on my situation. Contacted main uk dealer they asked me to send the unit to them, great service to be honest, they supplied me with a brand new unit. Bad news is still getting lines on the screen, im now wondering if it's just a software glitch or maybe faulty batch of LCD screens. Taking the Alter out for a run tommorow, i hope it ground balances but im not banking on it.

Yet again Great service from our uk dealer. ::g

Rucky75

Post by Rucky75 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:29 am

DelphiOne wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:18 pm
Just an update on my situation. Contacted main uk dealer they asked me to send the unit to them, great service to be honest, they supplied me with a brand new unit. Bad news is still getting lines on the screen, im now wondering if it's just a software glitch or maybe faulty batch of LCD screens. Taking the Alter out for a run tommorow, i hope it ground balances but im not banking on it.

Thanks for the update DelphiOne, you'll have to let us know how you get on with your new machine. As for the lines on the screen, i do only get this when the unit powers down, so doesn't effect the running of my machine.
With the ground balance situation, the explanation i got from Rutus and reading the updated V2 Manual, i just presumed in the end the majority were not getting the O.K and just using the machine on one of the !-!!-!!!. I must admit i think this V2 Update on the GB has only confused people, least on V1.1 you GB and then just got on with it.
In the end tho my rutus seems to still run fine, and im still digging up nice items which is the main think. But maybe in the back of my mind im thinking if i got the O.K Ground balance, could i be digging more silver or first bit of gold, but thats maybe just me, thinking far too much into it. Happy Hunting.

Koala

Post by Koala » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:12 am

If the lines on the LCD are only as you switch it off its nothing to worry about. Seen the same sort of thing on laptops were there's a small residual charge left and horizontal lines are left on the screen until a capacitor discharges, sometime hours later.

FULLTIMER

Post by FULLTIMER » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:34 pm

Rucky75 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:29 am
DelphiOne wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:18 pm

Thanks for the update DelphiOne, you'll have to let us know how you get on with your new machine. As for the lines on the screen, i do only get this when the unit powers down, so doesn't effect the running of my machine.
With the ground balance situation, the explanation i got from Rutus and reading the updated V2 Manual, i just presumed in the end the majority were not getting the O.K and just using the machine on one of the !-!!-!!!. I must admit i think this V2 Update on the GB has only confused people, least on V1.1 you GB and then just got on with it.
In the end tho my rutus seems to still run fine, and im still digging up nice items which is the main think. But maybe in the back of my mind im thinking if i got the O.K Ground balance, could i be digging more silver or first bit of gold, but thats maybe just me, thinking far too much into it. Happy Hunting.
I think you are right it seems that we got a so called extra feature that isn't applicable to UK soil conditions ie to get the OK when ground balancing you would have to get a reading of around -86 / -87 which it would seem isn't going to happen here in the UK i've never had much different to -84 / -85 in Norfolk and parts of Suffolk which is no different to the readings I got before the v2 update.

Goldid

Post by Goldid » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:50 pm

even in France, I can not have a good adjustment of the soil effect X (
excuse my bad English

Return to “RUTUS Forum”