2 questions on the Garrett at max.

Garrett AT Max Forum
Garrett AT Max Metal detector Topics Only.
chip

2 questions on the Garrett at max.

Post by chip » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:55 pm

The at max has both all metal and zero mode.
The zero modes default setting is zero discrimination hence the name so is an all metal setting so what is the difference between using that and the all metal mode, there must be one.
And why does the max not warrant it’s own sub forum when it’s been out for a while yet the until very recently mythical equinox has had one for ages despite all this time only being fabled. :D

Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

chip

Re: 2 questions on the Garrett at max.

Post by chip » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:09 pm

I have emailed Garrett asking how the max functions differently in zero mode compared to all metal mode. So hopefully you there will be a simple explanation as I am easily baffled by science. x;
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

brianc

Post by brianc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:16 pm

Just a thought while you await an answer from Garrett...

Have you tried air testing different metals with the two settings to see if you note any differences?

Maybe the zero mode gives you a certain tone for iron maybe?
Wandering off to the fields with my Makro Racer 2.

Although, I enjoyed the walk with my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV!

chip

Post by chip » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:21 pm

I will do brianc, don't actually own a max yet, as I am waiting to see if it will come to the mdf shop before purchasing, mrix is on the case ::g
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:04 pm

All metal gives max depth, but Zero gives a clearer target response though less depth. ;)
Nox 800, 15" coil & Garrett carrot.
White's TDI SL

chip

Post by chip » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:13 pm

So does that mean it will find deeper targets but dig at your peril as could be ferrous could be non? :D can you set discrimination in all metal mode?
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

chip

Post by chip » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Well at max ordered from the MDF shop, thanks mix.
Hope to have it in the stubble at the weekend ::g
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:13 pm

chip wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:07 pm
Well at max ordered from the MDF shop, thanks mix.
Hope to have it in the stubble at the weekend ::g
Hello chip, that was quick :-O
Thanks for supporting the MDF Shop, very much appreciated ::g
mrix

chip

Post by chip » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Your welcome, thank you for getting them listed. ::g
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

chip

Post by chip » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:52 pm

The max arrived today, thank you to detecnicks and the mdf shop.
In all metal you cannot discriminate and it uses a single tone but does display a target ID and is meant to go deeper. In descrim modes the three tones are more squidgy sounding than the solid tones of the pro.

It arrived with a cracked coil cover which was no big deal as I am using a Nel thunder on the pro so nicked the one off my pros original coil. And As soon as I informed detecnicks they were quick to respond and have sent a replacement in the post.

They have also sourced a zlynk receiver for me so I will be able to use both detectors with earbuds should I choose to ( have a sender and ms-3 headphones already for the pro) and I will be sure to use both detecnicks and the mdf shop in the future as they provided a top notch service.

Thanks again the mdf shop and detecnicks ::g
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:57 pm

chip wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:52 pm

<cut>
They have also sourced a zlynk receiver for me so I will be able to use both detectors with earbuds should I choose to ( have a sender and ms-3 headphones already for the pro)
<cut>
Well done on the new machine, good luck with it.

The extract above made me laugh "I will be able to use both detectors", probably just me but this image of you walking across a field ambidextrously swinging two detectors one in each hand just cracked me up =)) =)) =))

If you can get it to work it could increase your finds, but I think it would take a lot of skill to avoid hitting the 2 together.

Evan

chip

Post by chip » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Saffron wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:57 pm
chip wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:52 pm

<cut>
They have also sourced a zlynk receiver for me so I will be able to use both detectors with earbuds should I choose to ( have a sender and ms-3 headphones already for the pro)
<cut>
Well done on the new machine, good luck with it.

The extract above made me laugh "I will be able to use both detectors", probably just me but this image of you walking across a field ambidextrously swinging two detectors one in each hand just cracked me up =)) =)) =))

If you can get it to work it could increase your finds, but I think it would take a lot of skill to avoid hitting the 2 together.

Evan
:D

Thanks
I can just about cope with swinging one.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Hawkeyes

Post by Hawkeyes » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 am

Hi chip, you can use iron disc in all metal mode you first have to select iron disc then set how much discrimination you require then cancel iron disc start detecting then when a target is located check it by switching on iron disc you will get the low grunt if its iron.
hope this is useful ::g

PS if you switch the detector off it will cancel it so when switched back on you must re set it.
Last edited by Hawkeyes on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Garrett AT Max, AT Pro Pin pointer and being in the right place at the right time ::g

Hawkeyes

Post by Hawkeyes » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:50 am

Hi chip, you mentioned a cracked coil cover ?? it seems as though its impossible to remove the coil cover without cracking them they always crack at the middle front, I now always have a couple of spares LOL ::g
Garrett AT Max, AT Pro Pin pointer and being in the right place at the right time ::g

chip

Post by chip » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:16 am

Hawkeyes wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 am
Hi chip, you can use iron disc in all metal mode you first have to select iron disc then set how much discrimination you require then cancel iron disc start detecting then when a target is located check it by switching on iron disc you will get the low grunt if its iron.

PS if you switch the detector off it will cancel it so when switched back on you must re set it.

Hi Hawkeye thanks I saw this on there instructional video you switch on iron audio you mean then set the discrim.

I am very pleased with the max although I have one concern and that is the video says it’s best to set the threshold to just barely audible but on mine through the headphones the threshold set a 00 is silent as you would expect but set at +1 it is defiantly louder than barely audible, what’s the threshold volume like on yours at +1? Apart from that it’s a great machine getting better depth with the standard coil on airtesting than on my at pro with the nel thunder coil on it.
Garrett AT Max
XP Deus
Cscope Cs4pi

Hawkeyes

Post by Hawkeyes » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:48 pm

chip wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:16 am
Hawkeyes wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 am

Hi Hawkeye thanks I saw this on there instructional video you switch on iron audio you mean then set the discrim.

I am very pleased with the max although I have one concern and that is the video says it’s best to set the threshold to just barely audible but on mine through the headphones the threshold set a 00 is silent as you would expect but set at +1 it is defiantly louder than barely audible, what’s the threshold volume like on yours at +1? Apart from that it’s a great machine getting better depth with the standard coil on airtesting than on my at pro with the nel thunder coil on it.
[/quote

Sorry chip I meant iron audio.
I have played with the threshold on the Max and I know exactly what you are saying, at 00 its not audible but a +1 it is dam annoying with the headphones on (way too loud) but now I have said that it has got me thinking and I will have to play with this to see??
The volume on the detector works independently to the headphones volume nob and as I understand it if you set the detectors volume to full 8 and then adjust the headphones volume nob, it will mainly affect the louder half of the audio this is so you don’t loose the softer audio, it evens the audio out, with this in mind I am wondering how this would effect that threshold audio????
I will have to go and play only problem is my Max doesn’t like being switched on around my house so may have to test it on Sunday, its bugging me now!!!!!!
x; x; x;

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Hawkeyes wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:50 am
Hi chip, you mentioned a cracked coil cover ?? it seems as though its impossible to remove the coil cover without cracking them they always crack at the middle front, I now always have a couple of spares LOL ::g
I saw a very useful post on here long ago that suggested that to remove a stiff coil cover you should put it in a bowl of hot warm water as that would make the plastic more pliable and hence easier to remove without damage - it works ::g

Evan

PS: Edited as probably "warm" would be a better choice of ward than "hot"
Last edited by Saffron on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawkeyes

Post by Hawkeyes » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 pm

I did wonder if warming it would help but didn't try it as I didn't know how the coil would react to the heat.👍

Return to “Garrett AT MAX”