I got a Thames permit

Useful information for anyone New to the hobby of metal detecting and just starting out.
dalos

I got a Thames permit

Post by dalos »

Hi

So I know there's that map everyone keeps linking to show what areas are allowed to detect. But I don't understand how to read it. WIth a Thames permit, which spots are good to go to ? What exactly does a Thames permit mean ?

I ve seen people detect by Putney bridge station area , does that mean I can do that too ?

fred

Re: I got a Thames permit

Post by fred »

You have to read the terms and conditions because that tells you where you can dig and how deep you are allowed to dig. The most important bits though are where you can't detect, either because the areas are private, protected or they have security implications. Be aware that in some places you can only search by eye but not detect or scrape. ::g

Always remember to carry your pass because the river police really do stop and ask to see it.

You really do have to try the various areas and see which ones you get on with.
Equinox 800 x2

Koala

Post by Koala »

coil

Post by coil »

Permit on north side ie in front St. Paul's area no detecting or scraping only full mudlark can south side in in front of globe theatre and along you can detect and scrap hope that helps map shows areas can't go, anything historical palaces bridges houses parliament tower London ::g

dalos

Post by dalos »

According to the map I am seeing only 4 places a normal permit holder can go to .
I think I will try vauxhall bridge area. These are very specific boundaries so I hope I dont make the mistake of crossing them.

I am not exactly enthused about the river police stopping me for checks either :/ But I guess they have to do their job.

Wuntbedruv

Post by Wuntbedruv »

dalos wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:57 pm
According to the map I am seeing only 4 places a normal permit holder can go to .
I think I will try vauxhall bridge area. These are very specific boundaries so I hope I dont make the mistake of crossing them.

I am not exactly enthused about the river police stopping me for checks either :/ But I guess they have to do their job.
Eh? You literally have the entire South Bank to play with.

If I am correct, I believe you can also go on the North Bank but not dig and pick up items from the surface.

River Police rarely stop and check permits now, but it is a part of the process and just a fact of life.
God gives all men all earth to love, but since man’s heart is small,
Ordains for each one spot shall prove beloved over all.
Each to his choice, and I rejoice, the lot has fallen to me
In a fair ground—in a fair ground—Yea, Sussex by the sea!

detecting rod

Post by detecting rod »

i got the permit about 6months ago,have to say i prefer out on the land all day long,putney to hammersmith ive been to 3-4 times and you always see others bombing along digging wholes as fast as they can ,alot of good finds have come up in this area but it is hit hard by alot of detectorists,i find it alot harder going than on land as well can do 8 hours on land without stopping and the time flys but on the river 2-3 hours and ive had enough,if you look on you tube whole group of people who mudlark along the thames might give you some ideas of what areas you want to hit

dalos

Post by dalos »

detecting rod wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:51 am
i got the permit about 6months ago,have to say i prefer out on the land all day long,putney to hammersmith ive been to 3-4 times and you always see others bombing along digging wholes as fast as they can ,alot of good finds have come up in this area but it is hit hard by alot of detectorists,i find it alot harder going than on land as well can do 8 hours on land without stopping and the time flys but on the river 2-3 hours and ive had enough,if you look on you tube whole group of people who mudlark along the thames might give you some ideas of what areas you want to hit
I am gonna try the putney to hammersmith route. You know that garden area by the big church in putney bridge? Its from that side of the thames you can metal detect right?

dalos

Post by dalos »

I just had another question. What does the uncoloured areas of that map mean that was posted?

dalos

Post by dalos »

Koala wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:51 am
Which bits don't you understand

https://www.pla.co.uk/assets/latestforeshoremiddle.pdf
The orange area between vauxhall bridge and riverside court. I am assuming the tide will be low enough at some point to metal detect right ? Because it doesnt look like that on google maps . Complete newbie sorry!

Koala

Post by Koala »

dalos wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:07 am
Koala wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:51 am
Which bits don't you understand

https://www.pla.co.uk/assets/latestforeshoremiddle.pdf
The orange area between vauxhall bridge and riverside court. I am assuming the tide will be low enough at some point to metal detect right ? Because it doesnt look like that on google maps . Complete newbie sorry!
I read that any area without a legend is also good to go.

not my neck of the woods

is this any use

WVAM

Post by WVAM »

Dalos,

Koala has posted the perfect video for you. The picture attached shows the tidal range at that location - green slime on the wall - and that unless you have a plan to exit the beach you will be in the late edition of the Evening Standard, and the Metro the following day. You won't climb that wall and the steps may get cut off BEFORE the rest of the beach.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Butty

Post by Butty »

dalos wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:44 am
I just had another question. What does the uncoloured areas of that map mean that was posted?
Areas that you have unrestricted searching, so long as you can get to the foreshore and more importantly get off when the tide comes in
Garrett AT Pro Int.
Garrett Euro Ace

Return to “Beginners Forum”