SouthCambs/ North Herts border

Useful information for anyone New to the hobby of metal detecting and just starting out.
sitankman

SouthCambs/ North Herts border

Post by sitankman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:17 pm

Been interested in detecting for years but never had the time. I used to work for a company that restored and rebuilt military vehicles so always had a long interest in history.
Been off work now with chronic lower back pain. so now wondering if detecting would be a good low impact way of exercising and doing some thing relaxing and interesting.
And any thoughts on a detector would be great too.

Great forum by the way
Simon

Hofling

Re: SouthCambs/ North Herts border

Post by Hofling » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi,

Metal detecting might not be that good for your chronic back pain! :D

I have been asking the same question recently in this forum - seems many recommend the Nokta Makro simplex - there is a TOPIC here with this. A new machine and a long waiting list to buy.

But so many other good ones ....wait for the experts to answer!

Christian.

Bradrick

Post by Bradrick » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi and welcome from freezing South Cambs Simon.

Detectors come in a variety of weights and designs (and in terms of back issues the balance and design can be equally important). It may be a good idea to visit one of the dealerships if you can to get some idea. There are also some decent harnesses which may help you.

Brad
Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”

haggz

Post by haggz » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:38 pm

welcome simon. detecting is very relaxing, but keep in mind you are constantly moving, twisting and bending down. freezing cold in winter. having a light detector helps. I have a prolapsed disc at L2 and its ok on the day but man can I suffer the next day if I over do it. don't let me put you off the hobby as I love it. if you have a permission what's the rush on finding goodies.
happy hunting

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:51 pm

I've been having lower back trouble for a few years, too, and I don't think detecting is all that great for it, to be honest. Learn to swing with either arm, and alternate every 20 minutes, that will even up the strain on your body some.

sitankman

Post by sitankman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:53 pm

haggz wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:38 pm
welcome simon. detecting is very relaxing, but keep in mind you are constantly moving, twisting and bending down. freezing cold in winter. having a light detector helps. I have a prolapsed disc at L2 and its ok on the day but man can I suffer the next day if I over do it. don't let me put you off the hobby as I love it. if you have a permission what's the rush on finding goodies.
happy hunting
Its l1 l2 l3 l4 l5 and s1 are worn out ( jumping off tanks apparently didn't help) but if I take things steady and don't over do it im same as you its sounds.

ratty

Post by ratty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:21 am

A good harness spreads the weight evenly so the added weight is similar to putting on a coat. I use one on a Deus even though it is very light.
Alternating arm use is a very good idea. ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:21 pm

Hello Simon, Some excellent advice given in the above replies ::g
As you can see, the mention of your back concerns have been well considered in the replies given.

I have a long experience of back injury and it's effects over a 20 yr period. As recently as 2015 was hospitalised on 3 occasions in 7 months.

If I were to suggest just one factor that has proved to have a positive effect (for me) it would to remain constantly aware of posture, straight/upright back when walking and when lifting
(if unavoidable) do so with knees bent, not the back.

As suggested, a good harness (full) distributes the weight evenly and would seem to be a sensible option for anyone with a back issue. Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

Return to “Beginners Forum”