New Minelab Vanquish rumours.

Only for the discussion of the Minelab Vanquish metal detector within this forum.
Oxgirl36

Re: New Minelab Vanquish rumours.

Post by Oxgirl36 » Thu May 02, 2019 6:22 pm

littleboot wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:18 pm
I've never shown brand loyalty. My husband does from time to time and always regrets it. ;)) He's been married to me for 36 years so that kind of seals it. :))
I’m not asking =))

XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 12 :D

Buriedbytime&dust

Post by Buriedbytime&dust » Thu May 02, 2019 7:04 pm

Oxgirl36 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:12 pm
I think it’ll be a CX replacement.
I hope so. A new flagship model would be good, and as mentioned, there'll be at least a year of hype before the first machines hit the market, so there'll be plenty of time to save the required pennies.

Just how many pennies will be interesting, though. With the Equinox offering very impressive performance at a reasonable price, the new machine will have to be pretty special to command a much higher price tag. They've already got tongues wagging though, which is stage one of the marketing complete.

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu May 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Fair doos to Minelab they are masterly at creating the sort of hype that gets peoples imagination and expectations up in preemption of their next future model detector to come out, by cunningly letting out snippets of information slip out and then just letting the tribal drums do their work for them. I blame the Minelab stalwarts who get themselves worked up into such a frenzy that those people, when the detector is imminent for release, are queuing up to buy one regardless of price, just so they can be one of the first to get hold of one.
It's not only Minelab that do it, but Apple, Samsung and the big Phone makers also do exactly the same, and the more it costs, the more they want one.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 pm

I'm showing my age (again) but it put me in mind of cabbage patch dolls..... :D
Equinox 600, GMP, wellies.

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu May 02, 2019 7:55 pm

Aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :E :-SS (:| :x|

WeatherWitch

Post by WeatherWitch » Thu May 02, 2019 8:04 pm

littleboot wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:55 pm
Aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :E :-SS (:| :x|
:)) :)) :)) :)) :))
CScope CS4PI
Equinox 800

Bors

Post by Bors » Thu May 02, 2019 8:12 pm

Would you care for a large tincture of Belladonna Littleboot ? =))

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Thu May 02, 2019 8:20 pm

With a noggin of Hemlock as a chaser. x;

sgoody1

Post by sgoody1 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:43 pm

Is it my round? x;

GeorgeMK

Post by GeorgeMK » Fri May 03, 2019 9:14 pm

Pete E wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:08 pm
With my sensible head on and trying to save Blackadders job, I read on another (American) forum that the name was going to be the Minelab Victory...This was supposedly from a good source over that side of the pond...

It looks like it will be the Victory.

https://minelab.com/victoryunearthed

Koala

Post by Koala » Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 pm

I love hype

But wasn't the NOX the detector to end all other detectors

Which reminds me of the old persil adverts

each one cleans whiter than the last

Every few years a new advert would come out

After 60 years I should have been able to add one grain and had whiter than white if that is even possible.

We had BFO then IB VLF then PI then IB VLF with multi frequency then processor controlled.

Then ???

nothing much has changed. Ergonomics maybe (weight, waterproofing, wireless or anything else with a w :)) )

I wait for a PI with reliable VID.

fred

Post by fred » Sat May 04, 2019 3:25 am

Koala wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 pm
I love hype

But wasn't the NOX the detector to end all other detectors

Which reminds me of the old persil adverts

each one cleans whiter than the last

Every few years a new advert would come out

After 60 years I should have been able to add one grain and had whiter than white if that is even possible.

We had BFO then IB VLF then PI then IB VLF with multi frequency then processor controlled.

Then ???

nothing much has changed. Ergonomics maybe (weight, waterproofing, wireless or anything else with a w :)) )

I wait for a PI with reliable VID.

'Nothing much has changed' Really? Try some Ds then - design, depth, discrimination.

I've been through all the types of detector that you mentioned and I can assure you that I am content with where I am now and not at all nostalgic for a BFO. :D

The point about detector technology is that it is still evolving. Many of us know what we want detectors to do but only a select few have the resources and the ability take those visions and actually make them happen.

A PI with discrimination has always been the holy grail of detecting. I hope that one comes along while I still have the strength to lift a detector and dig holes. :D
Equinox 800 x2

Bors

Post by Bors » Sat May 04, 2019 9:23 am

As Dave Johnson from fisher labs said,
"Getting extra depth out of a VLF, multifrequency, or PI machine is very difficult because these machines follow an inverse 6th power law relationship between signal voltage and depth. If everything else is maintained equal, doubling the depth requires 64 times as much signal. If this is done by increasing transmitter power, doubling depth requires 4,096 times as much battery drain. That’s the basic reason why depth increases come so slowly in this industry.

The biggest impediment to getting usable depth in the ground is interference from magnetic and electrically conductive minerals in the ground, which can produce signals hundreds of times as strong as that of the metal target you’re trying to detect and hopefully identify. There are several approaches to extracting the metal signal from the ground mineral signal, but they all have their limitations. That’s why you see several different technologies coexisting in the market."

"Dave points out the biggest obstacle which is seeing the target through the Ground and Air interference."

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat May 04, 2019 10:28 am

Actually I do get nostalgic for BFO. I had some very good results with mine...it had no formalized 'discrimination' in terms of settings as such. However, with practice I became able to judge the sound (even with one tone, which is why I am ambivalent about needing 50 of 'em). So I pretty much knew what I was digging. Non-motion too. And as for depth....it was quite impressive and could hold its own with modern detectors and was actually deeper than some more expensive ones I've had subsequently.

There are many reasons some technology becomes obsolete. It rarely has much to do with its proficiency and more to do with the three M's: Money,marketing, and monopoly. There are countless examples, in all industries, of great ideas with huge potential which were simply sidelined in favour of a basically inferior technology.
It has long been my belief that the tinkering has to stop soon and someone needs to get a new clean sheet of paper and re-think the whole thing from the ground up (or in this case, down.) :D

fred

Post by fred » Sat May 04, 2019 12:59 pm

littleboot wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:28 am
Actually I do get nostalgic for BFO. I had some very good results with mine...it had no formalized 'discrimination' in terms of settings as such. However, with practice I became able to judge the sound (even with one tone, which is why I am ambivalent about needing 50 of 'em). So I pretty much knew what I was digging. Non-motion too. And as for depth....it was quite impressive and could hold its own with modern detectors and was actually deeper than some more expensive ones I've had subsequently.

There are many reasons some technology becomes obsolete. It rarely has much to do with its proficiency and more to do with the three M's: Money,marketing, and monopoly. There are countless examples, in all industries, of great ideas with huge potential which were simply sidelined in favour of a basically inferior technology.
It has long been my belief that the tinkering has to stop soon and someone needs to get a new clean sheet of paper and re-think the whole thing from the ground up (or in this case, down.) :D

i am sure that somebody will have an old BFO sitting up in their attic which thay would happily swop for a new new Nox 600! :D
Equinox 800 x2

SuperRed

Post by SuperRed » Sat May 04, 2019 1:54 pm

Well I guess that we'll just have to await the details to see what 'improvements' (if any) ML have made.

I'm not so sure that the marketing ploy for the nox (even if intended) was beneficial. I know of people who were either upgrading or wanted to by the latest model, but were not prepared to wait and bought something different (s/h deus, AT Pro for example). When problems began to emerge, such as wobbly stems, broken lugs, broken arm cups, headphones, etc, the forums were full of the usual suspects hoping for it to fail exaggerating the % of faulty machines. There are posts on here from people who were intending to save for one, but were worried about what they had heard. I have had mine for a year now and I could hardly be happier with it, but there were moments when I too felt like a guinea pig for a company who just wanted to beat others with a trickle release. I think that the success of the nox has far more to do with the inarguable finds and comments from rational and experienced detectorists who were willing to learn the machine quickly and pass on their experience.

I hope that the vic/vank transpires to be a replacement for the (now overpriced) CTX, rather than the nox or a lower end detector.

Brad
Brad

Equinox 800
Garrett Ace 400i
C-Scope 1220b

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.”
"It doesn't matter what you do, just do something: Don't just kill time whilst time is killing you"

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Sat May 04, 2019 4:56 pm

fred wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:59 pm

i am sure that somebody will have an old BFO sitting up in their attic which they would happily swop for a new new Nox 600! :D
Don't be simplistic Fred. It doesn't become you and I know you are far from simple.

Dave8472

Post by Dave8472 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:05 pm

Minelab CTX3030 : 17", 11", 6" Coils
Minelab Equinox 800 : 15", 11" Coils
XP Deus V3.2 - WS5 : 9" Coil
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Tue May 28, 2019 10:17 pm

So its back to being the Vanquish or maybe ML have two machines in the offing?

Personally, I think the area that offers the most potential for improvement is making the TDI's more consistent/accurate/reliable ect..
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Tue May 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Vanquish? Sounds like something you add to the washing on the final cycle to ensure your smalls are whiter than white. I'll enjoy watching all the speculation, but like with most things I'll let others jump in first!

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Tue May 28, 2019 10:48 pm

I tend to let the hype burn itself out before I am remotely interested. If, after a year or so, people are still happy with a machine then I know its OK to go ahead.
Besides, it would take me that long and more to save up the crinkle to be able to afford one. :D If I get a good machine I like using I stick with it for a long time. It is rarely worth the upheaval for just a small difference here and there. And the differences in performance are getting smaller. So law of diminishing returns kicks in. I have my 600, and barring mishaps I will have it for several years. I don't care what they call it. It could be a Veyron andI still wouldn't be tempted.

Pete E

Post by Pete E » Tue May 28, 2019 11:11 pm

littleboot wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:48 pm
And the differences in performance are getting smaller. So law of diminishing returns kicks in.
Sadly, I think that's true to a degree, but it shouldn't be...

If you think of a detector as a technology that emits a signal and then processes a return, compare it to other devices that have a similar concept...Look at LIDAR for instance...the return signals are able to be processed to form a 3D image, same with even moderately priced fish finders/sonar...

How long have detectors had two coils ie transmit and receive? Astronomers have machines that have the ability to process the signals from multiple sources (both optical and RF) gather over vast area to give a much more accurate image of the very faintest stars...With regards detectors, instead of two medium size coils why not have three small ones ie one central transmit coil flanked either side by receive coils so the detector gets a "stereo" return from the target?

Another possible area to advance things is if the machine had a degree of AI so it could "learn" as it was being used..It would probably require the user to tell it what was found each time you dug a target but the basic technology is available now ie AI Chess computers...

So I think there is a lot of potential for company's to radically improve detectors but they need to be innovative and think outside the box plus be willing to spend £££ on research..
Makro Racer 2
Makro Pinpointer
August EP650 Wireless headphones
TaoTronics Wireless Portable Transmitter, (Bluetooth 4.1, aptX Low Latency)

fred

Post by fred » Wed May 29, 2019 4:44 am

I am watching this develop with great interest, as are detectorists across the globe. Lots of speculation but no facts whatsoever. As already observed the first step will be to find out what type of new machine it actually is.

Minelab do very expensive PI machines, mostly for gold mining, which are now looking distinctly old fashioned so they are probably well overdue for a revamp.

The Nox is not that much difference performance wise from a CTX and is relatively cheap. I can't see that a new CTX would be that much of an advantage unless it also address it's problems (price, weight, complexity etc.) or seriously upped it's performance. Even then all it would likely do is dent the Nox market.

A note of caution is that Minelab do sometimes release lower end machines, although they seem to have them covered at the moment.

Anyway if their new offering seems to offer a reasonable performance edge or perhaps something sufficiently innovative then I might well be tempted to give one a try. ::g
Last edited by fred on Wed May 29, 2019 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 800 x2

hairyharry

Post by hairyharry » Wed May 29, 2019 4:59 am

This is off the MD hunter site, some specs for 3 different models
It may help

Model Features
Manufacturer: Minelab (Australia)
Model: Vanquish 340
Year: 2019
Type: ground and underwater detector
Rating (owner reviews):
Display: Yes
Technology: VFLEX IQ
Frequency: 7 / 18,75 kHz
VDI / Numerical Target-ID: Yes
Manual ground balance: Yes
Automatic ground balance: No
Noise cancel: Yes
Sound, tones: Multiton
Adjusting the volume: Yes
Pinpoint: Yes
Using headphones: Yes
Search coil: Minelab Vanquish 9
Parameters
Batteries: Accumulator
Weight: 1,2 kg
Length (min/max): 122-142 cm

Model Features
Model: Vanquish 440
Rating (owner reviews):
Search coil: Minelab Vanquish 11 DD
Parameters

Model Features
Model: Vanquish 540
Rating (owner reviews):
Automatic ground balance: Yes
Parameters
Graduated from the XP ADX 250 then the GMP and now on the Deus
Now paired with the Equinox 800

marcus

Post by marcus » Wed May 29, 2019 8:20 am

Vanquish New Video from Minelab
Unearth Performance | Minelab Metal Detectors

bob79

Post by bob79 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:28 am

hairyharry wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:59 am
This is off the MD hunter site, some specs for 3 different models
It may help

Model Features
Model: Vanquish 340
Rating (owner reviews):
Search coil: Minelab Vanquish 9
Parameters

Model Features
Model: Vanquish 440
Rating (owner reviews):
Parameters

Model Features
Model: Vanquish 540
Rating (owner reviews):
Automatic ground balance: Yes
Parameters
Looking at those specifations it's a waterproof replacement for the X-terra range, doesn't mention wireless headphones though.

Bob ::g

felixthecat

Post by felixthecat » Wed May 29, 2019 2:37 pm

don't get that video, he finds a ring.. looks annoyed , throws down his detector then lots of things pop out of the ground ?
Garrett ACE 250.Garrett propointer.Draper Spade.

GeorgeMK

Post by GeorgeMK » Wed May 29, 2019 3:02 pm

felixthecat wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:37 pm
don't get that video, he finds a ring.. looks annoyed , throws down his detector then lots of things pop out of the ground ?
He finds a piece of trash (looks like part of an aluminium can), he gets disheartened and throws down his current detector. My take on the meaning is that the items rising from the ground show what could possibly be found (in different countries), and implies that the new Minelab Vanquish would find those things in the ground that his current detector doesn’t.
169377B4-CA7F-4169-8B3E-B7CFC316CFC5.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bob79

Post by bob79 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:27 pm

He finds a piece of trash (looks like part of an aluminium can), he gets disheartened and throws down his current detector. My take on the meaning is that the items rising from the ground show what could possibly be found (in different countries), and implies that the new Minelab Vanquish would find those things in the ground that his current detector doesn’t.

169377B4-CA7F-4169-8B3E-B7CFC316CFC5.png
[/quote]

Unless Minelab expand the TID system that's on the Equinox, he will have to dig the rubbish to find the goodies.

Bob ::g

paul68

Post by paul68 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:19 am

felixthecat wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:37 pm
look closer bud, there are clues in the video

Return to “Minelab Vanquish”