Samian on My Doorstep

Only topics related to finding pottery fragments in this forum.
fourfourtwo

Samian on My Doorstep

Post by fourfourtwo »

Hi. I haven't been detecting for a while but looks like I'm going to have plenty time soon.

This tiny - and very beautiful - fragment turned up in my garden last week. If it had been the other way up I would have ignored it as a bit of roof tile. I am eternally grateful to the mouse/mole that popped it up from under the edge of my path - a path that is coming up very soon to look for more.

I have previously made 4 confirmed Roman finds from the field adjacent to my house. Samian - North of The Wall - might seem to suggest something interesting. Of all the many metal detecting finds I have made over recent years this sherd might be my favourite. Getting my enthusiasm back!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Macroman

Re: Samian on My Doorstep

Post by Macroman »

Now that's a beautiful specimen of Samian ware if ever there was..great find..wish I could be there to help you sort it out !!
Well spotted and saved.. wishing you continued success... ::g

fred

Post by fred »

A lovely little shard. ::g
Equinox 800 x2

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 »

Yes indeed, as sherds go, that is a prize specimen. Let's hope lifting the flags reveals something of equal interest ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Return to “Pottery”