Anyone else have this problem with their T2 ?

Topics related to Teknetics metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
lardbelly

Anyone else have this problem with their T2 ?

Post by lardbelly » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Well two problems actually !
1. I have terrible trouble ground cancelling my T2. It's been back to be repaired (cost me £23 in postage) and seemed to be ok for a week or two but now it won't ;;z I run it with a SEF 12x10 coil. It won't GC in discrim or all metal (just stays at 90). The warranty expires in a month.
2. I sometimes get a signal and dig out the plug, the numbers on the TGI go up (usually a good sign) but i dig and dig and then dig some more but can't find anything :( When i replace the small mountain of soil back into the hole the signal has disappeared.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Ian

Teknetics T2 SE with 15" NEL Attack and 13" Detech Ultimate and the diddy 5"
G2+ with the Cors Cannon
2017 Top finds
1. George III 3 Shilling Bank Token
2. Mary Groat
3. Henry II Tealby penny

T2DEVON

Re: Anyone else have this problem with their T2 ?

Post by T2DEVON » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:20 pm

Have you tried it with the standard coil?
I sometimes get the 90 - usually a place where ground not good, or underground cables, pipes etc. Move off to another spot & try it.
Teknetics T2 SE
Chefphones, Detech 13" Coil, Whites TRX Pinpointer.

lardbelly

Post by lardbelly » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Tried it with all 3 coils and all over a couple of fields. I think this is a problem that will require it to go back.
Ever had the 'bugger, can't find the target' problem ?
G2+ with the Cors Cannon
2017 Top finds
2. Mary Groat
3. Henry II Tealby penny

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Can you get your hands on another coil to try it? Like the stock coil, or even the 5 inch one?
Have you done a 'factory reset' on it? Can you manually GB it correctly, or does that not work either? Is there a coil-cover fitted, if so remove it, and clean the coil.
It may well be the coils shield (screen) that isn't working correctly. This could be a fault inside the coil; a break in the wire, probably at the plug; a poor connection at the plug/socket; the shield wire inside the control box that joins the circuit board to the back of the socket may be broken.
This last one is not that likely, I had it on my F75 because I had been tinkering with it, but the symptoms were just as you described.

deltron

Post by deltron » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:27 pm

No problems with mine. can you try another coil?
I did have a signal that just disapeared but that was a one off. Great machine

T2DEVON

Post by T2DEVON » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:28 pm

sent you a pm lardbelly
Teknetics T2 SE

lardbelly

Post by lardbelly » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Fusion wrote:Can you get your hands on another coil to try it? Like the stock coil, or even the 5 inch one?
Have you done a 'factory reset' on it? Can you manually GB it correctly, or does that not work either? Is there a coil-cover fitted, if so remove it, and clean the coil.
It may well be the coils shield (screen) that isn't working correctly. This could be a fault inside the coil; a break in the wire, probably at the plug; a poor connection at the plug/socket; the shield wire inside the control box that joins the circuit board to the back of the socket may be broken.
This last one is not that likely, I had it on my F75 because I had been tinkering with it, but the symptoms were just as you described.
How do i do a factory reset ? I can't put my hand to the manual at the mo'
G2+ with the Cors Cannon
2017 Top finds
2. Mary Groat
3. Henry II Tealby penny

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:00 pm

I'm assuming it's the same as the F75, so: With the machine turned off: push the toggle switch forwards (to the GB position), press in the function select button, then turn it on. Release the button and switch.
I have no idea what it would do on a T2, as it appears to lose its memory every time it's turned off, but it's certainly useful on the F75, as that has non-volatile memory for the settings etc.

AceofSpades

Post by AceofSpades » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:18 pm

Ground balancing problems: Mine has this problem in Winter if the T2 has been in the shed overnight and its cold. I think a bit of condensation or damp can affect it. A possibility is surrounding EMI conditions - are there more detectorists around? Is your mobile phone on? Are you near pylons or poles? There could be some cables/gas pipes nearby underground. Are you near roads? Traffic can be an issue. Large areas of burnt ground or excessive mineralisation will cause problems with ground balancing.

Phantom clean signals - I get this three or four times when I go out - its nearly always because the target was very very small and had a ground halo when undisturbed. What this means is that in the soil it caused conductive chemical impurities around it expanding its effect on the sensitive T2, however when you dig it up the impurities get spread about and the signal is harder to pick up, even on the surface. Its hardly ever gold or silver anyway so forget it and move on, its probably copper based alloy thin fragments or lead. Again its a more common problem in wet soil. Also another consideration is that really small items might be just under the surface so when you dig out the plug and turn it over, its now further away for your coil to pick up. I wouldnt take much notice of your 'depth' indicator, they are too dependent on conductivity and ground conditions to be reliable.
XP Deus

lardbelly

Post by lardbelly » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:42 am

Thanks for all your replies chaps, i really appreciate it ::g
I've started off with a clean up of all of my coils (a bit of an eye-opener) and will take it from there.
G2+ with the Cors Cannon
2017 Top finds
2. Mary Groat
3. Henry II Tealby penny

tonymitcham

Post by tonymitcham » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi I hope this is of some help , if the ground you are trying to ground balance on is less than 40 you will have to manually balance the T2 . see page 13 in the manual . I had the same problem and though my T2 was playing up but each time i couldn't ground balance I manually balanced the T2" and YES each time the number was under 40 nothing wrong with the T2 just me.

Regards

Tony.

lardbelly

Post by lardbelly » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:08 pm

It's the machine ! I've tried just about everything suggested and it still won't do it. The problem is obvious when it won't even manually ground balance (just stays at 90) !
A trip back to Regtons for the blooming thing !
G2+ with the Cors Cannon
2017 Top finds
2. Mary Groat
3. Henry II Tealby penny

stoppelhopser

Post by stoppelhopser » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi All, I use a t2 with the standard coil. Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that you can't ground cancel with a larger sef/detech coil, is that the case :-/

I was considering getting a larger coil, but not being able to ground cancel has put me off a bit :-L
can anyone put me right please.
mick

AceofSpades

Post by AceofSpades » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:05 pm

Ive used the SEF15", Detech Ultimate 13" and NEL Tornado 13" and they all GB on my T2SE
XP Deus

scrap iron chris

Post by scrap iron chris » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:56 pm

stoppelhopser wrote:Hi All, I use a t2 with the standard coil. Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that you can't ground cancel with a larger sef/detech coil, is that the case :-/

I was considering getting a larger coil, but not being able to ground cancel has put me off a bit :-L
can anyone put me right please.
mick
Hi Mick,I wish i had seen that post :) ive just got one of the larger coils and i can't ground cancel,not a happy chappie in-use for 1/2 hour then back to the stock coil.Its now back in its box soon to go on ebay lol ;)

stoppelhopser

Post by stoppelhopser » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks aceofspades and scrap iron Chris hmmmm :-/ one says it works the other says it does'nt ,':( so I'm still undecided :-/

T2DEVON

Post by T2DEVON » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Sometimes the detech 13" wont GB. Sometimes neither the standard nor 13" will GB.
Often depends on field compostion and whats in the ground.
But majority of time, Detech is my weapon of choice.
Good piece of kit. ::g ::g ::g
Teknetics T2 SE

nitram

Post by nitram » Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Lardbelly, did you send it back to get repaired? I've also had occasional problems with gc on the t2 but that was on very wet ground. Also the disappearing signal has affected all of my machines, sometimes the target is on top of the surface in the hole and somehow the empty air of the hole confuses the detector. But I have also found the t2 to be very sensitive and can give a diggable signal on something that's just background noise, as someone else has mentioned the halo effect for instance.
Going back the 90 setting on gc, I read somewhere maybe the manual that it is a 'safe' setting and that gc on discrim mode is not that important, were you still finding things at any depth?

lardbelly

Post by lardbelly » Tue May 21, 2013 8:08 am

nitram wrote:Lardbelly, did you send it back to get repaired? I've also had occasional problems with gc on the t2 but that was on very wet ground. Also the disappearing signal has affected all of my machines, sometimes the target is on top of the surface in the hole and somehow the empty air of the hole confuses the detector. But I have also found the t2 to be very sensitive and can give a diggable signal on something that's just background noise, as someone else has mentioned the halo effect for instance.
Going back the 90 setting on gc, I read somewhere maybe the manual that it is a 'safe' setting and that gc on discrim mode is not that important, were you still finding things at any depth?
Hi mate, No I didn't send it back in the end. It only seemed to suffer the GC problem on one of my permissions. It never really affected depth, just made it a bit chirpy. I can't get it above 75 sens when it's not GC.
The digging 'phantom' signals is something that bugs the hell out of me, though. Still can't find any rhyme or reason for it. It seems to do it some times and then others it's fine.
G2+ with the Cors Cannon
2017 Top finds
2. Mary Groat
3. Henry II Tealby penny

Matcot

Post by Matcot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:47 pm

Hello does anyone have a contact details for Teknetics as I’ve just bought a second hand machine with ground cancel problems tryed different coil and didn’t work. Then put my coil onto a different t2 which then worked thank you for any advice

Koala

Post by Koala » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:13 pm

don't you have to lift a larger coil higher of the ground when ground balancing with a larger coil. As it senses the ground from further away ??

Return to “Teknetics Forum”