Pinpointing with a T2

Topics related to Teknetics metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Biblins

Pinpointing with a T2

Post by Biblins » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:20 pm

It's a couple of months now since I bought my t2, fantastic machine in all respects, can't praise it enough. However, I found the pinpointing somewhat vague.

The previous C Scope it was bang in the centre of the coil, my friends Deus pinpoints on the very tip. The manufacturers manual is somewhat vague on pinpointing. I have found myself digging some embarrassingly over large holes. So yesterday evening I set myself the task of finding the "sweet spot" of the standard coil.

First, take a shotgun cartridge cap (reading of 72);

Pop it into the bottom of empty plastic bottle.

Dig hole.

Fill bottle with soil, put bottle (with shotgun cap inside) in ground.

Fill in hole leaving just bottle cap poking out (as a marker).

Then do a grab over the bottle, moving the coil across and backwards and forward adjusting the height until highest reading is achieved.

It becomes very apparent that the "sweet spot" for the standard coil is right at the back - directly below the T2 sticker. Very happy with the result. It was conclusive.

Hope this is of use to other T2 users...or any other detector users who are unsure where the pinpoint is on there machine they can replicate this test.

Mega B

Re: Pinpointing with a T2

Post by Mega B » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:32 pm

The pinpointing spot on my stock coil is right in the middle of the coil,infact if you take a look it has a 1/2 dia mark on not only the top of the coil but the same 1/2 mark under the coil.That is the pinpointing marks and not plastic mould marks as most folks think they are ::g
Nexus MP,Nexus SE,TDI Pro,Fisher TW-5 twin box,Equinox,Deus.

Biblins

Post by Biblins » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:45 pm

Talking with other t2 users it seems it does vary, maybe this is why the manufacturers manual doesn't actually state where it is? Anyway, mine is under the t2 sticker am happy to have finally found it :)

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:49 pm

Oh dear. A failed experiment. The centre is where it should be, bang in the middle of the coil. If a target isn't directly under the centre, it's because:
*You pinpointed badly
*The target is not magnetically perfect, eg irregular shape, tilted at an angle (very common for coins and buttons), possibly mixed metal, like a brass buckle with a rusty iron pin
*There's other stuff in the hole, or nearby and shallow, eg. small rusty bits, nails, foil.

When performing any buried-item tests, the ground must be absolutely clean of any detectable debris, non-iron, iron, rust, coke, hot-rocks etc. It's best to find a clean spot, rather than try and clear a dirty spot.
Try this experiment with a coin flat-on and then tilted at 60 degrees to the horizontal. You will find up to 4 inches difference. Or try a musket ball, they are pretty much the perfect target.

Biblins

Post by Biblins » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:50 pm

Beginning to regret posting this. To answer the above:

It was a perfectly clear piece of soil, in fact it's a raised flower bed in my own back garden.

If you look I used a cap off of a shotgun cartridge which was laying perfectly flat in the centre of the bottle (I could see it through the underside of the bottle).

I hope this alleviates your concerns?

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:47 pm

My main concern is not that you think your sweet-spot is in the wrong place, but that you are telling everybody else in an authoritative way where it is.

Some more constructive criticism:
"...moving the coil across and backwards and forward adjusting the height until highest reading is achieved."
Never move the coil up and down in height, keep it at exactly the same height as when you pulled the trigger-switch.
Don't just move the coil forwards/backwards and left/right, you will only get good results for the left/right direction. That bi-axial coil is not very precise in the long direction. You need to rotate your body 90 degrees around the target, and do another left/right sweep to get accuracy in both directions.
With practice, you can do this without actually moving, if you sweep left/right at a 45 degree angle, then turn the detector quarter of a turn and do the left/right swing again at -45 degrees. I hope that makes sense.
Last edited by Fusion on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawkstone

Post by Hawkstone » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:48 pm

I'm with Rick & Fusion on this.
Try reducing sensitivity on pp mode : r;[ Controlling Sensitivity in PinPoint mode
The default sensitivity setting in PinPoint is 60. If you wish to change the PinPoint sensitivity
setting:
Pull the trigger to engage PinPoint. Do not release the trigger.
Rotate the SETTINGS knob to change the sensitivity.
Rotate counterclockwise to decrease sensitivity; clockwise to increase.
::g

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:59 pm

I'm with Hawkstone and Fusion on this one =)) ::g

Koala

Post by Koala » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:03 pm

Interesting experiment.

not the result I would expect

do you get the same result if take the coil off its stem and wave an object above the coil

DD coils don't have to pinpoint bang in the middle but never seen on so far out.

The nice thing about the DD is the blade affect under the coil giving great ground coverage are you still getting good depth at the other side of the coil ??

GC-1023

Post by GC-1023 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:19 pm

shotty caps are such awfull targets full stop .
i would suggest a 1970's 1p piece .you dont need bottles just stick you coin flat in the centre of the hole .i would think 6-7" plenty deep enough . the plastic bottle may have been distorting your magnetic fields ..i too have difficulty, but use a nel coil .
minelab ctx3030
minelab explorer se x2
deus full
rutus alter 71
Fisher F75 se dst
tx850 with mars sniper (g2 clone)

Rusty Nails

Post by Rusty Nails » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:34 pm

Mega B wrote:The pinpointing spot on my stock coil is right in the middle of the coil,infact if you take a look it has a 1/2 dia mark on not only the top of the coil but the same 1/2 mark under the coil.That is the pinpointing marks and not plastic mould marks as most folks think they are ::g
Hi I've had my new T2 just over a week and so far very pleased, still learning all the sounds and options that you can play with, a far cry from my old c scope I used to have, just to pick up on your point about the - sweet spot - on my stock coil I only have the plastic mould marks you mention and no sign of the 1/2 inch marks you suggest, I too am also am having a bit a problem pinpointing , my lawn looks like a colony of moles have just moved in ;;z I am finding that I am digging large holes, the ID numbers suggest that a good target is there and I am finding stuff lead, small copper bits and pieces 5p etc, but the pinpointing at the moment is a bit of a pain, though given time and practice it'll become second nature no doubt ::g
If at first you don't succeed....... Dig Deeper

Teknetics T2 se DST
stainless steel graduate spade

Biblins

Post by Biblins » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:39 pm

Could I ask the moderators to delete this topic please as I am being ridiculed. This worked wonders for me, I posted it in good faith in the hope that it would help others who I know for a fact they too were finding difficulty in finding the pinpoint centre of the coil, the manual does not mention where it is.

I will no longer be posting here, if we cannot help one another then what is the point in posting at all?

Goodbye.

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:41 pm

@Rusty Nails ,those marks that you have mentioned are not mould marks for the coil casing,they are infact the actual pinpoint markings,they are indtical postions on the top of the coil as well as underneath,most folks think they are the moulding marks when infact they are actual pinpointing marks.

The size of them that i mentioned are just a rough size guide they could be metric or imperial but i think you can get the jist of what i m saying,the bottom mark is not on the coil cover it is infact on the underside of the coil.Exactly the same location top and bottom ::g

Rusty Nails

Post by Rusty Nails » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:52 pm

Mega B wrote:@Rusty Nails ,those marks that you have mentioned are not mould marks for the coil casing,they are infact the actual pinpoint markings,they are indtical postions on the top of the coil as well as underneath,most folks think they are the moulding marks when infact they are actual pinpointing marks.

The size of them that i mentioned are just a rough size guide they could be metric or imperial but i think you can get the jist of what i m saying,the bottom mark is not on the coil cover it is infact on the underside of the coil.Exactly the same location top and bottom ::g

Sorry mate my mistake misunderstood and misread ::g

Teknetics T2 se DST

Koala

Post by Koala » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:13 pm

Biblins wrote:Could I ask the moderators to delete this topic please as I am being ridiculed. This worked wonders for me, I posted it in good faith in the hope that it would help others who I know for a fact they too were finding difficulty in finding the pinpoint centre of the coil, the manual does not mention where it is.

I will no longer be posting here, if we cannot help one another then what is the point in posting at all?

Goodbye.

Don't think there is any intended ridicule

People are just trying understand if there is some odd with your coil or the test

stoppelhopser

Post by stoppelhopser » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:45 pm

Biblins wrote:Could I ask the moderators to delete this topic please as I am being ridiculed. This worked wonders for me, I posted it in good faith in the hope that it would help others who I know for a fact they too were finding difficulty in finding the pinpoint centre of the coil, the manual does not mention where it is.

Goodbye.
Don't be too despondent Biblins, I for one, a t2 user myself, found it an interesting post, I will even give it a go::g .
I'm sure the other posters weren't being critical of your experiment, rather they were just questioning your conclusion. I would accept it, then move on, Happy Hunting to you OooO

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:32 pm

One obvious test you should try is an air-test pinpoint.
Set up the coil on it's own (ie. not attached to the shaft) on a big cardboard box, so it's physically stable, and a decent distance away from any metal, the ground, etc. And have the control-box nearby, arranged so that you can pull the pinpoint trigger-switch, read the depth display, all without disturbing the coil. Then pull the pp trigger, and you'll hopefully get a 15/16/no reading on the display. Then move a flat-on coin, or musket ball closer to the coil, and see how the indicated depth varies as the test target is moved underneath the coil. It's easier if you blu-tac the coin to a plastic ruler. And you can do the test with the coin above the coil, if you set the coil down flat on its underside.
This should confirm the more precise nature of the left/right movement, and the more vague front/back centre-point.

If you still have your CScope, it would be worth trying it out on your buried shotty bottom.

northwalesT2

Post by northwalesT2 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:58 am

Shot gun cartridge would give off a big "halo" effect. Try it with a small silver in the bottel instead. Remember to adjust your pin pointing down as hawkstone mentioned above. I allways turn mine down to 10, it decreses the pin point area, much more accurate on smaller targets

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:34 am

Pinpointing with the stock coil is pretty easy with a little practice like most things in life i guess,its a possibility that if using say a aftermarket coil the characteristics could alter slightly,its possibly that the sweet spot may be say slightly forward or backwards but i doubt that its off to the side but unless the coil was not wound properly then it could of course be slightly out but not by much.

Only thing that does change regarding pinpointing with after market coils is usually the depth indicator is showing the wrong depth,but once you are aware of this and say its 1'' out then if the depth indicator is showing say 6'' it could be actually 7'' if that makes sense,but the depth wont alter if you use the coil as it will always just be the same small amount out.I use a variety of coils on my T2 and the depth indicator issue happens with all my coils as does with all my other machines.Its just the way they are setup at the factory using the stock coils that are used on that machine.

Biblins

Post by Biblins » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:05 am

Firstly apologies for my somewhat grumpy attitude in a earlier post rl; .

Out in the field yesterday we have proof of the pudding.

Among a variety of finds was this tiny pin badge, pinpointed towards the back of the coils, it took an age to find amongst the spoil coming out of the hole, finally located with my pinpointer.

Tomcat-uk
Pastfinders Club Founder

Post by Tomcat-uk » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:07 pm

On top of the coil is a little black dot... use a bit of white paint and color it in.
Pinpointing solved.
TC
When in Doubt Dig.
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
I will either find a way or make one.
Teknetics T2

Mega B

Post by Mega B » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:25 pm

Tomcat-uk wrote:On top of the coil is a little black dot... use a bit of white paint and color it in.
Pinpointing solved.
TC
Post No2 on this thread mentions exactly the same thing,most folks still think its the moulding marks but its actually the pinpointing marks on the coil case,the corresponding dot is on the bottom of the coil case but under the coil cover ::g

Rusty Nails

Post by Rusty Nails » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:49 pm

Hi Everyone

I can categorically state that the sweet spot is exactly where people have said. After numerous holes dug in the lawn much to my partner's disgust the center of pin point in my case is where the marks are on the coil I must say it took a little working out being a new machine and all, ::g ::g

Teknetics T2 se DST

Ten pence!

Post by Ten pence! » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:30 pm

Once the target is pinpointed release the pinpoint trigger and then pull it again to narrow the signal, my betting is the target will be directly under the centre of the coil, unless the target is one of those "difficult" objects like a tilted coin at depth or a ball of foil near the surface.

allmetalmode

Post by allmetalmode » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:32 pm

pinpointing is vague as first mentioned BUT if you just go to one side of target, keep head still and let go of the trigger then pull it in again this narrows the pinpointing area...do this again and it narrows even more and so on till it maxes out.

PinkFloyd

Post by PinkFloyd » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:51 am

If you don’t alter the pinpointer setting to 10, the ‘sweet spot’ could become anywhere within the north/south of the centre of the coil.
Hold the pinpoint trigger and turn knob to 10, it narrows the field to just north of the centre ::g
You don’t have to set this everytime, It stays on 10 until you turn the machine off

Great machine the t2 ::g

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:08 am

Biblins wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:45 pm
Talking with other t2 users it seems it does vary, maybe this is why the manufacturers manual doesn't actually state where it is? Anyway, mine is under the t2 sticker am happy to have finally found it :)
I can see how you came to the conclusion and in some ways I could agree with you. It does sometimes seem like the stock coil pinpoints under the heel. But, I also have a Detech 13" and on first glance you might conclude the same. If I use the 13" and find a target and narrow it down in one direction (without the pinpoint) and then turn through 90 degrees the target is always a little closer to where I was standing on the previous sweep - making it appear the first sweep put the target under the heel of the coil. But, the second sweep is under the middle of the coil - still with me. First direction gives me the targets north-south line, second the east-west and where they meet, X marks the spot.
It means I know it's going to happen and the second 90 degree sweep middles the coil and the target. It's just technique and I rarely use the pinpointer; most searching is done in all metal. Are you pinpointing in both directions i.e. at 90 degrees to each other?

That said, I think everyone knows, with every machine, you can have targets that aren't quite where they appear to be when you start digging.

One thing I've found on my T2 is that it can take a couple of sweeps to make up it's mind and shotties are a good example (again AM mode) - a nice strong tone and a consistent number in the 70's is a "come on fella - dig me" call. A few more waggles and a single hint of a sub-30 number creeps in and the "dig me" changes to "you know you've got to dig me but you're going to be disappointed!".

The T2 is a superb machine for the money. Granted it could be better but it's a difficult one to change for the limited amount of detecting I do. Your post is important as others will go through the same with a variety of machines, not just the T2. Keep going and good luck ::g

Return to “Teknetics Forum”