T2 Classic - any problems?

Topics related to Teknetics metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
WVAM

T2 Classic - any problems?

Post by WVAM » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:46 am

The T2 Classic always gets good reviews but do any of the users have any particular gripes with the machine?
I see FT are bring out the Teknetics Patriot (rebadged F70 with better coil and low price) so may be worth waiting for as has almost same spec as T2 but the T2 Classic looks to be a good all round machine at a keen price. Are you happy with yours?

Cheers.

Mega B

Re: T2 Classic - any problems?

Post by Mega B » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:56 am

The T2 and the various incarnations ie 'classic' have been around since 2006,had mine many years and is one of the original green machines,still use it and its also found me the most gold as well,it has a proven track records.

The new offering from FT sounds good but has not been proven oven time like the T2 and F75 both all tome classic from the FT stable,cannot see the need to upgrade mine to one of the later T2 version,if it ain't broke dont fix it comes too mind.

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:45 am

I doubt many people on here will have the Classic, even though it's been out a year now.
But if you take a look on the US forum of Tom Dankowski, there's some positive comments, particularly from Keith Southern, he's made a couple of YouTube videos of it, too. It seems it has all the good features of the original T2, but is much quieter in operation, probably related to some 'DST' processing, as well as the result of 10 years improvement.
:(

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks Mega B and Fusion. As far as I can see across the reviews and videos everyone is happy with their T2 or T2 variant. Also seems to have a good track record and is still selling. Time to spend some pennies.

leem73

Post by leem73 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:00 pm

I have recently purchased the T2 classic new one

although Im a newbie one thing ive noticed is it seems to be quite sensitive around power lines
but with a few adjustments can work round it not really a problem but just something ive noticed with it

also it doesn't like my mobile phone simple fix though switch the phone off :D

apart from that Im happy with it ::g

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:42 pm

I had a play with someone's classic T2

You will not be disappointed. Solid performer.

coil

Post by coil » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:37 pm

I have t2classic 2010 model very good no problems ::g

lardbelly

Post by lardbelly » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:11 pm

Very few people get rid of their T2 and I think that tells you something!

I'm a huge fan and if it were me I'd be going for the T2 over the Patriot.
Teknetics T2 SE with 15" NEL Attack and 13" Detech Ultimate and the diddy 5"
G2+ with the Cors Cannon
2017 Top finds
1. George III 3 Shilling Bank Token
2. Mary Groat
3. Henry II Tealby penny

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:19 pm

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts - piggy bank just went on a diet and T2 on its way.

Biblins

Post by Biblins » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Been running a T2 Green classic for around 2 years, superb machine, it's specialty seems small silver items.

Easy to use, no fuss, solidly made, always brings results.

Downside is emi (I have just bought a T2 DST SE to get around this) and vague pinpointing but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

northernmonkey

Post by northernmonkey » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:39 pm

I've just joined the T2 club....got the se/dst version arriving tomorrow....roll on Sunday :D ::g
Sov GT
T2 Dst

GC-1023

Post by GC-1023 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:15 pm

think its wrong for guys to call their mk1 t2 a t2 classic .
its clear that this post was started to question the viability of buying the current "t2 classic" model .
yes many mk1 's are a classical machines in that they offered something very special when released .
been seeing a lot of t2 's offered on sites like ebay as" t2 classic ", and when you enquire further they dont have any reciept/warranty to offer ,pointing to 5+ year old mk1 or a chinese t2 clone .
dozens of chinese clones still enter the country under t2 badge .
i very much regret my involvement in promoting the gf2 as a cheap high performer ,i didnt realise how many detectorists would be unscrupolous enough to opt for the illegally badged versions.
i suggest if theres none of the five year teknetics warranty offered steer clear .ALL REAL T2 CLASSICS will be under 2 years old and have better emi suppression, and added bonus of 3+ years warranty left .
minelab musketeer ts800 ,13" ultimate ,15 x18 sef
Etrac , 6" eq2,10 x12" sef,detech 18".
deeptech Gold
nokta relic. 5" +11"
Golden mask gm1+
garrett groundhog
BH Junior(for kids on beach)

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:44 pm

GC-1023, thanks for your concern. I had been in touch with First Texas and have been sending them details of some of the fraudulent websites. I received the T2 Classic yesterday at a good price from Unearthed.They are really helpful and are ready to look after the customer with no pressure to buy.

I had a couple of hours with the T2 today on a new pasture field just to get used to the tones and play around with settings. One target that impressed me was a piece of copper tube, about .303 cartridge size with a steel washer around the neck. I got two signals, one an iron grunt and one high tone. Discrimed out iron and got a clear high tone. Not really worth digging but showed the ability to see both metals in the same target.
Managed to turn the machine off by catching the on/off knob on my jacket - doh. Ground grab worked perfectly. At Sens 85, discrim 0-3, and tones 1-2+ the machine was very stable and only when standing under power lines did I have to work a bit harder to get suitable settings.
However, the T2 is a bit of a PITA. I got good signals on the tiniest of targets (2mm diameter) and they take a bit of finding in the plug.
Now all I need is for my permissions to hold something pre 1850 - I live in hope.
Early days with the T2 Classic but first time out looks fine.
Thanks to everyone for their help.

Chris.

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:05 pm

That ON/OFF Volume control is one of the minor annoyances with the machine. I used to have problems with it unintentionally turning on when it was packed in a bag with all the other bits and bobs. I now always use this trick with a strip of paper under a battery contact, to prevent the issue:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36740

Another weak point is the socket on the coil cable. The socket is cheap and nasty, and there's not enough strain relief. This eventually can lead to wire breakage inside the socket. Ensure you pull it out using the metal body, without any stress on the cable itself.
:(

WVAM

Post by WVAM » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:56 am

Now that I've used the T2 Classic a few times I thought it worth posting an update for anyone else considering the same machine.
First, thanks to all who posted or contacted me. It was helpful in making the choice. I'm using the stock coil paired with deteknix wireless phones.
Price from Unearthed £410 delivered.

The good points.

Easy to use.
Comfortable
Finding even the smallest metal (still learning how best to use each tone setting) but, if I find another bloody button I'll ...........!!
Machine is very quiet and stable.
Auto ground grab has worked first time, every time.
Settings quick and easy to adjust
Very good recovery speed
Batteries lasting well

Not so good.

The menu button will get stuck with the tiniest piece of dirt so care or use a cover.

and the general user glitches.

The adjustment knob, which makes adjustment so easy, is also easy to move without noticing.
The menu could do with a "safe or park" setting. When you make an adjustment that part of the menu is still live and can be unwittingly adjusted.

Would I buy again - definitely

Return to “Teknetics Forum”