Is there a golden spot

Topics related to Teknetics metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Jphin

Is there a golden spot

Post by Jphin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:51 pm

I've been out today for nearly 6 hours with my eurotek pro with 8" coil. I get signals but it seems I am way off in terms of the location of the signal and I end up having to expand my excavation all the time. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is a focus point for the signal for instance the centre of the coil or is it just trial and error and I'll soon get used to where the signal actually is. I've found the pinpoint function to be quite unreliable too.... while im at it I've noticed a small hole in the bottom of my coil like it's been punctured with a drawing pin, is this something to be worried about? As you can probably tell I'm new to this and this is my first device so I'm not sure if that's normal or if it's fine and won't affect my searching.
Many thanks

Easylife

Re: Is there a golden spot

Post by Easylife » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:02 am

I am not familiar with your machine, but to quote another ETP user "I noticed that, using the 8" coil, the pinpoint function is something like 4 to 5" off target. Yes, when I get the lowest depth indication AND the stronger audio, the target is often under the coil's edge or one inch ahead. This is strange, because it works well with either the 5"DD or 11" DD coils."
It seems you are not alone...
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6. %)=
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:32 am

The 'focus point' of your coil is the centre of it.
However, you should know that certain targets can magnetically appear to be away from their true location. This commonly affects flat items like coins and buttons, that are not lying flat in the ground. A coin tipped at 60 degrees from flat could appear to be 2 or 3 inches 'off' at 8 inches depth. And if it's close to standing vertical, it can give a double-beep, up to 6 inches apart, The true location is halfway between the beeps.

Quoin

Post by Quoin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:28 am

I would recommend getting a coil cover if they make one for your machine.

Koala

Post by Koala » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:09 pm

With a DD coil flat items that are vertical in the ground will pinpoint over the heal and toe of the coil depending on sweep direction and a dead zone in the centre

Change sweep direction by 90 degrees and it will pinpoint in the centre again

Walk round a target while swinging is the way to go when starting out.

As you get more practiced with the machine you will learn to check around the target and home in quickly with short sweeps

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:34 pm

There is certainly a difference between the indications from a concentric (polo) and a wide-scan (DD) search-coil. The wide-scan coils are most sensitive along a centre line frmm the 'toe to heel' whilst the concentric is claimed to have the maximum sensitivity at the very centre of the search-coil.

If there is a 'dead spot' in the wide-scan coil it should be of no consequence as the 'toe' of the coil has already passed over that bit of ground and will have produced an indication if there was a target present. ::g Cheers ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:56 pm

The 'sweet spot' of a DD ( widescan ) coil is also in the exact centre.
This is all rather academic, as the original poster stated he has the 8" concentric coil.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 pm

Fusion wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:56 pm
The 'sweet spot' of a DD ( widescan ) coil is also in the exact centre.
This is all rather academic, as the original poster stated he has the 8" concentric coil.
Hi 'Fusion' ::g I didn't spot that?......Looking again and I still can't. I expect the OP has edited it out. Cheers ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 pm

He said he has the 8" coil. A quick spot of Googling will show that this is the basic version of the Eurotek, with the cheaper concentric coil. The 'next model up' Eurotek has a DD coil, the usual First Texas 11" x 7" one, with all the distinctive stiffening ribs. These are more expensive to make, so are not supplied as standard on the cheapest model.

With thanks to Garys Detecting:

Return to “Teknetics Forum”