Green T2 EMI interference (resolved)

Topics related to Teknetics metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Biblins

Green T2 EMI interference (resolved)

Post by Biblins » Wed May 04, 2016 11:14 am

Thinking of chopping in my green T2 and changing to the Racer, the T2 is a fantastic machine but the EMI I suffer on it is getting beyond a joke now, I have tried frequency shifting but it doesn't help, reducing sensitivity and adding discrim just makes the machine unresponsive. So frustrating to see other club members happily digging under power-lines yet I can't even get in the field!

Any suggestions to improve the T2 in this respect before I start shopping around please?
Last edited by Biblins on Mon May 16, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koala

Re: Green T2 EMI interference

Post by Koala » Wed May 04, 2016 12:40 pm

Are you using a large coil ???????

http://www.tekneticst2.com/tekfiles/Ele ... erence.htm

Try using less discrimination

Fusion

Post by Fusion » Wed May 04, 2016 12:46 pm

Is this the original green T2, or the new lighter green "T2 Classic" ? I've read that the new Classic has some mild form of DST engineered into it, which improves performance when interference is present.

I personally find that most interference is 'broadband', and it doesn't make any observable difference what frequency 'channel Number' is chosen.

Biblins

Post by Biblins » Wed May 04, 2016 4:02 pm

It's the original green model, running standard coil.

I have since asked on a owners group FB page, there other users are finding the same issue, some have said it's because of interference from the mobile phone I have switched on in my pocket when in the vicinity of power-lines, so proof of the pudding is to switch it off next time I around them.

I do find that it's very directional and worse at certain times of the day (higher current draw perhaps?) it's incredibly frustrating as it's an excellent machine in all other respects and works magnificently when out of range of those damn lines.

As I say, I will try with the mobile switched off see if that makes the difference as the T2 has served me very well, I like it's functions. Will report back.

Biblins

Post by Biblins » Wed May 04, 2016 4:07 pm

Very useful, thanks, sort of backs up what I have read elsewhere but nice to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak ::g

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed May 04, 2016 4:53 pm

My detector is fine under most pylons. It's of to side it can get a bit flakey. However a small coil works a treat except near the very high voltage ones.

Only reall problem ones for me is electric trains. Luckily only been in that situation once.

Don't forget to try on lower your discrimination kinda counter initiative.

Sportsman

Post by Sportsman » Wed May 04, 2016 10:29 pm

I see people trying run these T2s really hot which isn't always possible like with most machines you can't always run them hot, some sites i can get 99 sense,2+ zero disc no problem, other sites i can't i have to use 85 2+ 10 disc,also loads a folk and i mean loads leave there phones in there pockets and detect you can't do that really as they interfere , if the machines chattering just lower your sensitivity down it will even its self out ::g , especially on some roman infested sites i go 70-75 sense due to high mineralisation ::g
Xp Deus.

My Lucky Underpants

Liam74

Post by Liam74 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi

I am having the same problem with my old green T2 on a farm full of electric fences. I just had it serviced and changed it to a small coil and not one bit of difference, I could not make out if the signal was real or not.

I was also using my usual setting of 70, 20, 2+ tones and even dropping it lower it still would not work.

The machine is awesome and I would never change it, some things you have to live with I suppose.

Atb.

Liam.
http://liamsmetaldetectingfinds.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Koala

Post by Koala » Thu May 05, 2016 1:50 pm

Liam74 wrote:Hi

I am having the same problem with my old green T2 on a farm full of electric fences. I just had it serviced and changed it to a small coil and not one bit of difference, I could not make out if the signal was real or not.

I was also using my usual setting of 70, 20, 2+ tones and even dropping it lower it still would not work.

The machine is awesome and I would never change it, some things you have to live with I suppose.

Atb.

Liam.
Eclectic fences are different. I have come across one that you can hear the regular pulse 50 metres away.

I could detect by ignoring the regular pulses and digging everything else but can't stand the constant beeping in the headphones for too long.

Biblins

Post by Biblins » Mon May 16, 2016 9:24 am

Hi everyone

Just to update.

Had overhead power-lines on a club dig yesterday, so switched mobile phone off, initially I thought it hadn't resolved it but after around 30 seconds the interference had almost gone, I assume the phone has a staged switch off (despite the screen saying "goodbye" to me).

The EMI was still there, but greatly reduced and the detector was totally useable even standing directly beneath an overhead transformer.

So thanks everyone for resolving this - best of all I can stick with the detector which I know (and dare I say love).

:D

Anthar

Post by Anthar » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:06 am

Koala wrote:
Liam74 wrote:Hi

random

Atb.

Liam.
Eclectic fences are different. I have come across one that you can hear the regular pulse 50 metres away.

I could detect by ignoring the regular pulses and digging everything else but can't stand the constant beeping in the headphones for too long.
Interesting as that's quite a distance. I can usually hear when I'm with around 10m.
Last edited by Anthar on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koala

Re: Green T2 EMI interference (resolved)

Post by Koala » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:20 pm

Yep electric fences vary quite a lot. Most you can get quite close to. Some are also much better when the battery runs down a bit latter in the day if its just been charged.

Same with most things. All pylons will not be caring the same voltage or current. Rarely cause much of a problem with my detector. Normal run at standard settings. Might get a bit flaky when about 45 degrees away but gets slight better when directly underneath. But others are no bother at all.

Main thing is to keep trying and experimenting. Not found anywhere that's totally undetectable.

Settings or/and smaller coil normally gets things under control.

However too many false signals pops and clicks takes some of the enjoyment out of detecting.

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:09 pm

Just been detecting under some pylons. As the day went on there was less interference. Don't know if it was the ground drying out or atmospheric changes. Quite a lot of moisture in the air and they were really crackling.

Much more interference than normal but still quite doable.

Coke was more of a problem.

fingers

Post by fingers » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:35 pm

It seems the garret pro pointer interferes with the T2 even when switched off, this video was made in 2012, I wonder if it is still a problem..

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:-L

MrLysol

Post by MrLysol » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:55 pm

fingers wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:35 pm
It seems the garret pro pointer interferes with the T2 even when switched off, this video was made in 2012, I wonder if it is still a problem..

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:-L
My Pro pointer has just started messing with my T2, I've no idea why it has only just started as I've been running this combo' for two or three years now, but it's a ball ache ! A freq' change can sometimes cure it, but where it doesn't I have to remove my headphones !
Nox 800, X-pointer probe and bags of enthusiasm :-)

Return to “Teknetics Forum”