G2+ false signalling

Topics related to Teknetics metal detectors here, Off topic posts will be removed.
Clive65

G2+ false signalling

Post by Clive65 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi all,
This is my first machine, so still learning the ropes. I bought it secondhand but it was only 9 months old when I got it. Is it normal that I get false signals if the coil gets bumped against something. Also I can get a lot of chatter and false signals if other machines are close by, I know this is common, so have tried turning the sensitivity down to about 85. My normal settings are...sensitivity 100...discrim 0...V break 40...iron vol 13. Can anyone advise me on any other settings that may help with false signals, or anything that I might be doing wrong, or could I have a faulty coil? Any info will be much appreciated, thanks ::g

Regards,

Clive.

beep-and-dig

Re: G2+ false signalling

Post by beep-and-dig » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:38 pm

I would run sensitivity at 70 until you get to know your machine, also make sure you ground
balance correctly, and the coil plug is screwed in tight.

Clive65

Post by Clive65 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:04 am

Thanks beep-and-dig, I'm sure I do ground balance correctly as I've watched how to setup the machine on YouTube. Also I have checked the coil plug is secure, but I'll try what you said regarding running sensitivity at 70. I even tried holding the machine in the air and tapping the coil, and it still gave a false signal? I just hope I haven't bought a faulty machine ;;z thanks for the advice ::g

Pastmember01

Post by Pastmember01 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:45 am

Coil cover off and a clean and dry - could be something hiding underneath.

Clive65

Post by Clive65 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:59 am

Thanks WVAM, I've just fitted a new coil cover, so that's ruled out, cheers for commenting though ::g

DavidG

Post by DavidG » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:09 am

I would say its the coil, had a G2+ for 2 years and only had that problem when I put a new Mars tiger coil on it, which I sent straight back. Never had the problem again with any stock or after market coils since.

Graeme at Unearthed will advise you of your options, not sure if you have any warranty (original receipt from previous owner) which might get it swapped out for free?
Good luck, the G2+ is a great machine, hope you get it sorted soon.

David

Clive65

Post by Clive65 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:16 am

Thanks for that David. I do have the original receipt from unearthed, and it still has around 4 years warranty left on it. I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I'm doing before contacting Graham Rushton at unearthed ::g

rab the ranter

Post by rab the ranter » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi Clive, I had the same problem with a T2 I once had. Completely take off your coil and cover, closely examine all deals on it especially the shiny black seal behind where the stem bolts on to the coil.nibfound mines had a hairline crack allowing moisture in. I cleaned off the seal, allowed it to completely dry for a couple of days on a radiator and re sealed with a hard sealer like aquasure from a scuba dive shop, don't use silicone it won't last. And it worked fine after that. Hope this helps mate.

olshkin

Post by olshkin » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:52 am

Over 2 years of ownership i've found that EMI issues have been common for the G2+, certain mineralised condition can cause false signalling when the coil comes into contact with the ground. Certainly in a close proximity to xp Deus' and minelabs will you hear an ongoing high conductive chattering. Sometimes you might get interference from electrical lines, however this doesn't seem to be a problem in most cases for some reason. Also remember that the G2+ has a preset sensitivity level, and the actual sensitivity cannot be altered by the user, the potentiometer on the left controls 'gain', which is an audio gain to increase audio levels received from conductors. Basically, the gain instrument is a variable voltage controlled oscillator, altered with the potentiometer on the left side of the control unit.

Return to “Teknetics Forum”