Help with Nokta impact

Discussion of the Nokta Impact only.
Wormdigger

Help with Nokta impact

Post by Wormdigger »

Sorry to say I am just not getting on with my impact. Can any Nokta users offer any advice please?

I am not getting clear signals and fainter responses are indistinguishable from the background chatter. I have tried all modes with various setups and nothing seems to stand out as a good setup.

For example, I made a test bed in a nearby field and after ensuring the area was clean I buried different types of coins, iron and lead. The responses in any mode are not really clear except in static modes. Setting discrimination to 10-12 and gain at 80, there is no response from iron as you would expect but lead disappears too. Turn off the disc and all the signals sound pretty much the same whether it is iron, copper or silver, even with iron audio off. Only deep mode gives the kind of response I would expect. I often see DI3 described as a coin hoover. For me it is barely a dustpan and brush!

Could it be a faulty machine? Am I missing something obvious?
Beginning to want my AT Pro back :(

Nokta Impact, Deteknix wireless headphones, Nokta Pointer and worm digging equiment. Ibanez RG 1570Z when it is raining.

Blackadder43
Admin

Re: Help with Nokta impact

Post by Blackadder43 »

Mrix has some experience of this machine and hopefully he will be along to have a say

I have never owned one of these, but one suggestion because you dont really have anything to lose is maybe try a factory reset (just incase you have a setting that is messing stuff up, and then maybe just set the D13 set up which i read is quite stable and good

Hopefully someone mor qualified comes along with a solution for you
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Wormdigger

Post by Wormdigger »

Thanks Mr Adder - I'll give it a try today and report back.
Nokta Impact, Deteknix wireless headphones, Nokta Pointer and worm digging equiment. Ibanez RG 1570Z when it is raining.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

Yes the advice given by BA is the best first port of call ::g you may of simply changed a setting you are unaware of.
Also have you updated to the latest software version ? there are a few now that deal with tone.
Also never hesitate to contact Nokta direct they are always willing to help with any issues you may have, their after-sales service is really good ::g
Please keep us updated how you get on.
Thanks
mrix

Wormdigger

Post by Wormdigger »

Thanks Mrix

I have done factory reset and things are certainly running a little quieter although VDI numbers are wildly variable. I have had a couple of hours out in the field and picked up some quite small items, mostly iron but a couple of copper scraps and a tombac button so the detection part is OK. My issue now is that I can't read much into the sounds as there does not seem to be much differentiation and so now I am digging everything. The signals seem very short and clipped - more so than I am used to. It's probably me not having enough hours with the machine yet. I'll persevere for a while yet.

I have a feeling - not proven yet - that my quest wireless phones may be interfering somehow. Things seem to be a little better since I reverted to wired. That is for further inverstigation.

mrix
Founder

Post by mrix »

Wormdigger wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:22 pm
My issue now is that I can't read much into the sounds as there does not seem to be much differentiation and so now I am digging everything.

Have you already tried a factory software update, the update and instructions can be found over at the main Nokta site ::g

mrix

Wormdigger

Post by Wormdigger »

Yep - done that ::g

blueonceagain

Post by blueonceagain »

The Nokta Impact is the quietest most stable deepest machine I have.

There is not much difference in depth between vlx 1 and 2.They are my preferred modes.Its easy to switch to deep to check a signal of course.

Try VLX 1,gain 80,iron volume 0.See if that brings any improvement.There are other adjustments but try that 1st.Those are perfect for me.I can run gain higher but its only fractions in the depth dept.
Xp gmaxx ll.Whites M6.Sovereign GT.Nokta Fors Core.Sorex Pro

Wormdigger

Post by Wormdigger »

Just by way of an update...

I have put a good few hours in and I am glad to say that I am now getting to grips with this machine.
I am using mostly DI3 and DEEP modes but when I find a signal, I switch between modes to listen to all possible outcomes.. I haven't got any stunning finds but I am finding very small scraps of copper alloy/lead etc. so this I am confident that I will find an object if it is there.

One other thing I learned. I have a field which has two HV power lines across it. I can't get anywhere near in motion modes without the machine going haywire, even when substantially reducing the gain. I discovered (by accident) that I can search in GEN mode with much reduced interference which has open up a large area on one of my permissions.

The last few weeks has brought a couple of Romans, some Tudor buttons and hooked tags and a few other items. Beginning to feel a bit more confident. The only downside is.....most of my permissions are going under winter wheat :(

Return to “Nokta Impact Forum”