Hey from a new member

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Gun5linger

Hey from a new member

Post by Gun5linger » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and metal detecting as a whole!

I've been keen on the idea for a long time as I'm really interested in history and archaeology and love being out in the countryside.

I was given a detector for my birthday and am keen to get started, but haven't quite worked up the courage to knock on the farmers door (any advice on this would be appreciated).

I live in Matlock in Derbyshire and have contacted my local club, but unfortunately they don't have space for me to join currently.

There is some beautiful land nearby that I'm keen to search on, I've done a Historical Land survey, through the council, and there is a Bronze Age barrow mound and several other points of interest. My only concern, apart from the farmer, is that all that area is the sight of all lead mines. Would that ruin my readings.

Any advice or tips would be most welcome.

I'd love to join a club but I don't think there are any others nearby but if I could join someone then that would be brill.

Thanks so much

G

laoisdeus

Re: Hey from a new member

Post by laoisdeus » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:07 pm

hello
only detecting about 15 months myself and I can tell you that you will find mostly jumk but persistence and patience is the key. a good sharp signal is often a flattened screw top or foil etc but its an occupational hazard :)

as for permission...just ask, most farmers/land owners like to know who is going into their land and if they say no its just a case of move on. I own land of no historic value but people often call to my door asking to go hunting and lamping which I have no problem with.

What detector to you own?

Gun5linger

Post by Gun5linger » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and the advice!

Yep, I'm geared up to find plenty of trash and I thought I'd tell the farmer I'd clear it up if I do.

You're right, I'll head up there this weekend to ask! It's just a bit daunting but I guess the worst that can happen is he says no, which is fair enough!

I have an Amzdeal lightweight, which I know isn't the best but as it's a present I'd like to try it a few times before I upgrade.

Thanks again!

G

laoisdeus

Post by laoisdeus » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:03 pm

Gun5linger wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:26 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your reply and the advice!

Yep, I'm geared up to find plenty of trash and I thought I'd tell the farmer I'd clear it up if I do.

You're right, I'll head up there this weekend to ask! It's just a bit daunting but I guess the worst that can happen is he says no, which is fair enough!

I have an Amzdeal lightweight, which I know isn't the best but as it's a present I'd like to try it a few times before I upgrade.

Thanks again!

G
Well best of Luck with this highly addictive hobby

And asking for permission can be daunting especially when you meet a farmer that thinks you are solely out to find the ardane challis and become a millionaire under their nose and they ask a thousand questions

I once got under an electric fence thinking i was on the same owned pasture and out came a farmer who had the field rented from the guy that gave me permission, he wasnt too happy but just told me to make sure fill in any holes i dig etc but it could have been a lot worse

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Said "Barrow" will probably be scheduled so its a criminal offence to detect it.

If the farmer is amicable ask to see his "Farm Environment Record" that has most of the bits you can/can`t search on it. ::g

stevieB

Post by stevieB » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:13 pm

You are perfectly placed in Matlock for a group that put on digs called Central Diggers on FB. Another group that put on digs is Find A Field also on FB. Don't have to join as a club but just register with them and then put down you name (click going) then go digging.

Gun5linger

Post by Gun5linger » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:23 pm

jcmaloney wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:00 pm
Said "Barrow" will probably be scheduled so its a criminal offence to detect it.

If the farmer is amicable ask to see his "Farm Environment Record" that has most of the bits you can/can`t search on it. ::g
Hiya, yes, from the documents I've seen say that it is scheduled, including 3 meters all around it and the ground underneath it, so I guess I'll be steering clear but I am curious about the surrounding area!

Gun5linger

Post by Gun5linger » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:25 pm

stevieB wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:13 pm
You are perfectly placed in Matlock for a group that put on digs called Central Diggers on FB. Another group that put on digs is Find A Field also on FB. Don't have to join as a club but just register with them and then put down you name (click going) then go digging.
Thanks so much for this, unfortunately I'm not on Facebook, but I'll see if I can borrow someone else's to find the details!

Fisher1266X

Post by Fisher1266X » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi G5,

Welcome to the forum and do hope that you find a permission whilst awaiting to join a club.

The hobby certainly brings in lots of different disciplines to test your mettle.

Again, all the help, advice and tips can be found in the panels on the left.

Best
Paul
Image XP Déus V4.1

Follow us LIVE on Twitter...... @Britains_PAST ..and check our blogs....
http://www.recoveryofhistory.com/the-past-blog

Return to “Introduce yourself here”