Hello all :)

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Emily

Hello all :)

Post by Emily » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Hello :)

My name is Emily and I live in Oxfordshire. I have joined this forum because I have always had a passion for metal detecting, but unfortunately I have never had an opportunity to try it.

I would love to rectify this and my question for you all is what sort of metal sector is great all round, but also suitable for a beginner??

I really look forward to hear from you,
Emily.

john Colin

Re: Hello all :)

Post by john Colin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi Emily and welcome to the forum, you may like to have a look at this thread where you will find good sound advice on choosing a detector. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2666
Good luck
JC

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi Emily and welcome to this great Forum. One of the keys to success in the hobby is getting the necessary permission from land owners. Another key is research and thanks to the internet and this forum you have much help at hand. Best of luck and please let us know how you get on. ::g

tigtog

Post by tigtog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:46 pm

Hello Emily great fun detecting is, not sure on your budget. I started with a cheap detector,and worked up to a more expensive one.
Get a deus to start with, there switch on pick a programme and detect machines. they can get complicated if you want.
good luck
xp deus

garrett pointer (2nd one) now a makro pointer no falsing
roughneck shovel (4th one) now use a sniper spade
jeff digger

laoisdeus

Post by laoisdeus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Emily wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:25 pm

My name is Emily and I live in Oxfordshire. I have joined this forum because I have always had a passion for metal detecting, but unfortunately I have never had an opportunity to try it.

I would love to rectify this and my question for you all is what sort of metal sector is great all round, but also suitable for a beginner??

I really look forward to hear from you,
Emily.
Hi Emily
I hope you enjoy this hobby as much as I do
I would recommend an xp deus, start off using the pre set programs and you wont go too far wrong. In my opinion and I could be very wrong, the market will have quite a few second hand xp deus for sale at very good prices as a lot of people from what I read online are looking forward to the release of the minelab equinox.

Emily

Post by Emily » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Thank you all for such great advice!! I have viewed the link given and there is a LOT of information, so to make things a little easier, I feel it would just be best to ask the questions I’m thinking of and see what everyone says. I hope you all don’t mind??

I am sure that this has been asked many times, but I would likely use the metal detector over land, but every year my family and I go on holiday to the beach in Devon, so would really love for it to be suitable for small pebbles/sand too.

The Deus seems to have been the main recommendation. Does this work well on both land and beach?? I’m only 25, so my budget is around £100-£200 at a push.

I really look forward to hearing what you all have to say. :)

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi Emily welcome to the forum and hobby.

The thread JC mentioned contains lots of information on choosing a detector, also several options for detectors are mentioned on this current thread viewtopic.php?f=33&t=96795

Nothing wrong with the Deus, the full system is much more than those listed in the above thread, while the "lite" (minus control box) option would be at the top of the price range of those listed

The Minelab Equinox is meant to make all single frequency machines obsolete, and when released (meant to be January) could result in a lot of second machines on the market soon after.

Basically decide on your budget then get a machine in that price range from one of the recognised manufactures and buy from an established dealer.

Evan
Edit: Posted without reading Emily's 2nd post saying about the buget of £100-200. So forget the Deus.
Last edited by Saffron on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Hello Emily, and a warm welcome aboard the forum ::g In my view, it may well suit you to consider the s/h market for your first detector. I say this because there are a wide range of good condition makes and models available for purchase at a considerable saving on their new price.

I would also suggest making such a purchase from one of the well known dealerships, as you will be assured of sound advice (and often a demo) from someone who will also be a detectorist with years of experience. ::g (auction Sites (buying bind) :-O there are many pitfalls to buying from an 'on-line' auction site - "buyer beware"!

A visit to your local dealership would pay dividends and this would be my choice.
Most (all) will provide a guarantee with their s/h machines (around 3 months usually) and should there be a need to return it for any reason, there's no postage to consider. :D

Deciding which detector will suit your needs is a great experience and the links previously provided, will undoubtedly simplify your choice.

Good Luck and enjoy your detecting and of course, your time on the forum::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Hi Emily and welcome aboard. Due to your budget a used Deus is out of the equation. So maybe consider a Garrett Ace 250 or even a used higher model if within budget.
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil, 2nd Garrett Carrot. %)=
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:56 pm

In the £100-200 range the Garrett 250 will be very hard to beat.

Like many on here I started with it (and still use it sometimes) and IMHO its fantastic value for the money. Very reliable and well made, and will beat a lot of higher priced machines when it comes to making finds.

Wet "black" sand (highly mineralised) will cause most machines, (even a lot of the top end machines) problems, but the beaches in North Devon (I have not detected South Devon beaches) are fairly "detector friendly" and on the dry sand the Ace 250 worked fine and on the wet sand only infrequently falsed for me. So the 250 would be fine for both inland and beach.

FYI if beach detecting: The coils on the 250 and most detectors are waterproof so you can detect in shallow water, but again like most detectors the control box is only water resistant so ensure you keep it out of the water.

It might be tempting to try and save a bit of money by going for a cheaper machine but a lot of "cheap" machines are just not up to doing the job. So make sure you stick to a well recognised brand.

Evan

Oxgirl36

Post by Oxgirl36 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 am

Hi Emily you’ll be restricted on choice for your budget. A second hand Garrett is your best option. They are OK on the beach but you’d be better off concentrating on your main hunting environment, land ::g

Good luck :D
XP Deus
8 silver hammered coins (1 in 2016; 7 in 2017) - and still searching for more :))
Not everything is as young as it looks ;)

Return to “Introduce yourself here”