This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
lcn

Post by lcn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi , my names lee from accrington. Never done any detecting before and not got a detector yet but I will be doing once the salmon fishing season ends next month . Not too sure what’s any good or not but one detector I keep seeing on YouTube is the garret 400i so unless there’s any other recommendations I’ll get one of them . Is there anything else apart from digging gear and a pinpointer that I will need

Machinist

Re: Newbie

Post by Machinist » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:11 pm

lcn wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:50 pm
................................................ Is there anything else apart from digging gear and a pinpointer that I will need
Welcome to the forum Lee ::g

The most important thing you will need for detecting is land to use it on. It is important to realise that all land is owned by someone and permission is needed to detect on it. Many a enthusiastic person has bought a detector that now sits in the back of a cupboard unused because they had no where to use it.

Having said that once you start it is a very addictive and rewarding hobby and we look forward to seeing your finds on the forum.

Ray
It's all the Headless Hunters fault !!

Member of South Yorkshire MDC

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Hello Icn ::g Welcome to the forum and to this compulsive hobby. If it's advice and tips your after take a look at the links at the top of this page and the sub-forums in the blue panel over there l;/ .
They include a guide on buying your first detector and making sure it's the right one for the type of detecting you intend.

Good Luck obtaining permission /access to land (some useful tips on the subject in the Forum Guide). Other than that, enjoy your time with us on the forum and perhaps we can look forward to seeing some of your detecting finds in the not too distant. ::g Regards ss47
Arado 130 - Garrett Groundhog - Tesoro Eldorado - Fisher 1265X - Goldmax Power Makro Racer. Homemade Harness!

lcn

Post by lcn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks for the replies . Permission shouldn’t be too much of a problem , I’ve worked on farms for years and know a fair few farmers plus I’ve already got( or maybe did have, I’ve not been on for a year) thousands of acres of rabbiting permission across Lancashire and Yorkshire and they don’t mind me digging to the ferrets so I don’t think they would say no when I ask them . It wouldn’t hurt for me to get out and do some knocking though .

hartsman

Post by hartsman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:48 pm

lcn wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:50 pm
Hi , my names lee from accrington. Never done any detecting before and not got a detector yet but I will be doing once the salmon fishing season ends next month . Not too sure what’s any good or not but one detector I keep seeing on YouTube is the garret 400i so unless there’s any other recommendations I’ll get one of them . Is there anything else apart from digging gear and a pinpointer that I will need
Set of headphones.

Return to “Introduce yourself here”