Another grommit for the ground

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
eltiess

Another grommit for the ground

Post by eltiess » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Hallo from Deutschland. Ich heisse Leigh.

My name is Leigh and I'm joining up to the hobby for a number of reasons. One, because my nephew of 12 back in Sydney (I'm an Aussie) is hooked and I wish to be a good uncle and build up my knowledge so I can talk with him on the subject should his interest survive the year. (He's may be just addicted to instagram for that's where he posts all his finds.)

Also, since being here in Europe, I get a very tangible sense of history in just walking the land - while Australia has vast amounts of pre-colonial history it was also largely stone age tech, so go on a walkabout and you'd never guess 40000+ years of human history without a great deal of academic research and carbon dating. So in touring about Europe, I've really seen civilisation's mark and wouldn't it be nice to dig some of that myself and hold it in my hand? The Rhine (I live in Duesseldorf) marked the reach of the Roman empire in Germany before the Teutonbergerwald Battle, so there are likely finds around here.

Thirdly, as I mentioned in another forum, I was keen to buy a no frills type of detector and so settled on buying a Tejon by Tesoro, but I've since learned of recent events with that company, and so I read of some other similar machines, by Deeptech and Laser, but honestly, I couldn't really ascertain whether much of what I read on the internet was advertising fluff... so. I decided to join the forum.

Lastly, once I decide upon the machine and go out and use it, hopefully I'll be interested in asking more interesting questions about history and archeology and such. I'm good at shopping, but I really hate it.

Oooo I should also state that I'm a microscopist and metallurgist. So if you know of any problems requiring the nanoscale metrology of archeological finds, I'd love to hear of it. I am driven by my science passions also.

Looking forward to the "quest" as I've read it here.

- Leigh

Blackadder43

Re: Another grommit for the ground

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Hiya Leigh and welcome to our forums
Great write up, excellent stuff....

Just as a side note with your potential choice of machine, there are other companies that can service and look after detectors, i suppose the real problem comes with a catastrophic fail of the machine and it needs replacing....
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

thefiggis

Post by thefiggis » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Now that's what I call an introduction, Leigh ::g

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your time here
Essential equipment:
Some sort of electrical gubbins(I'm told it's a Deus). In various colours
Jenkins
Gin.

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:14 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. Greetings from East Riding.

Return to “Introduce yourself here”