Hi

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
stuartj

Hi

Post by stuartj » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:27 pm

Hi everyone I've already sort of introduced myself in the fossil section! I've been given a cscope cs1mx and have a carrot copy pinpointer on it's way, what's the general opinion on starting this hobby on this machine? Would I be better to invest in something more mid range now, something like a macro racer2 etc? Cheers Stuart.
P.S. I tend to stick with thing's when I start!

Ladybird66

Re: Hi

Post by Ladybird66 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:36 am

Welcome Stuart. Just seen your contribution in the Fossil section. Very impressive, in fact unbelievable.
As for your detector. I’ve not used a CScope myself but have seen reference to them being good. I’d say give it a go and see how you get on with it before you start spending hard earned bucks.
There’s a lot to learn and after you’ve had a go a few times maybe you might decide it’s not for you.
First and most important is, have you got permission to detect anywhere ? Remember everywhere is owned by somebody.
Then you need to think about insurance. Not expensive, about £9 if I remember right. Available from NCMD on line. Covers you for any mishaps you might be responsible for to other people’s property or livestock etc.
If you’ve got a garden, try it in there to get used to the sounds and settings. You’d be surprised what some find in thier gardens. You might even find a manual on line if it didn’t come with one.

Whatever you choose to do, best of luck. Look forward to seeing your finds.

Edit: I stand corrected ! Just seen on your 1st post that you already have places to go. Good luck ::g

sponge

Post by sponge » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi Stuart.

I use a C Scope 6mx & this has proved to be a very capable machine - I have found around 60 hammered coins with this over the last couple of years as well as a silver roman coin hoard.

I have never used a CS1 - but did watch an interesting You Tube (metal detecting guys) where he tested a CS1 against the mighty XP Deus. All of the signals detected by the Deus were picked up by the CS1 - I was quite impressed !!

Good luck & enjoy this wonderful hobby.

stuartj

Post by stuartj » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:08 pm

Thanks both I've been doing air tests today and quite frankly I'm shocked at how far the cs1mx can detect things! I took it down to Hele beach (Ilfracombe) for half an hour and found my first coin! It was an old 10p piece so I would guess the beach hasn't been overly detected? It was about 6 inches down in wet sand. As it was getting too dark to dig (wish I'd taken a torch) I just had a play with no discrimination and playing with it on several hits, 5-6 seemed to knock out most of them. I'm going back down there on Saturday finger's crossed my pinpointer arrives by then. Even though I've got nothing to compare it to I'm in no doubt this machine works and I intend to get a few hours practice on the beaches and just around my home (I live on a farm) before I start detecting some of the site's I've got in mind,.
One field turned up several cannon balls during potato digging in the 70's but the one I'm very excited about (on a different farm) was used for ploughing competions up until the 1950's. The old farmer that told me about it says that as well as ploughing there were lots of other things like bare knuckle fighting, stock deal's and a host of other activities, he maintains that there was always lot's of drinking, gambling and business. it's the squarest most level field I've ever seen and was also used for football and rugby in the 60's and 70's. My guess is that it's been used for a variety of event's for centuries.
Now you know a bit more about my quandary on just diving in to a higher spec machine.

oldartefact

Post by oldartefact » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:12 pm

If you are starting the hobby from scratch, then I would say it really doesnt matter what machine you start out with (though probably the cheaper the better - within reason). First you have to be bitten by the bug, and once bitten you can then decide which way to go. Hope that helps.
Imagine there is no heaven, only sky above us.

stuartj

Post by stuartj » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:50 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I think I have well and truly caught the bug! Fossil hunting will always be a great passion for me but I've also had success bottle digging and I am always amazed at the things to be found at car boot sales ( I rarely miss our local sale!) so to be fair treasure hunting is just part of my life. Now I'm almost 50 removing fossils isn't as easy as it was coupled with literally tons of unprepared material. Not only that but the best collecting is during terrible weather in the winter..I just want a change of pace, more fresh spring and summer air and less traveling...
Metal detecting has always been in the back of my mind but knowing my obsessive tendencies I've put it off until the time felt right and it's just blending in with my passion for local history, learning more about our area is my primary motivation and actually finding anything would just be the icing on the cake.

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”