Hi from Jo in Keighley

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
JoLeedsSteampunk

Hi from Jo in Keighley

Post by JoLeedsSteampunk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Advice needed - I'm planning on getting a detector. Original thought is cos hubby has lost one of his rings in the garden (again!).
I've always been fascinated by metal detectoring and the discoveries that are made. (The BBC series Detectorists was really good as well)
It's my birthday end of the week and hubby has said he'll get me one. Price range we're looking at is around £50-60. I know that's not gonna be a brilliant one but I'd like to get started at a level I can afford. We're both self employed so not flush with cash and don't want this to be something that I have good intentions with and then not have the time to pursue (like the exercise bike...!)
I'd like to be in a group of some sort as I need to learn all about what is involved with permissions etc - I live in Keighley and although I can drive, I don't own a car but bus pass gets me out. Does anyone know what's closest to me? All I've found online is Keighley and District Local History Society which is where people local post their finds.
So any recommendations of local clubs, makes and models that would suit or if anyone is selling off their old starter model would be much appreciated!
Thanks.

Oxgirl36

Re: Hi from Jo in Keighley

Post by Oxgirl36 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi Jo and welcome to the MDF :D

This is a great hobby if you have the right equipment and somewhere to detect. Advice on choosing a detector can be found here viewtopic.php?f=294&t=102937

Your budget is going to be very limiting though - sorry about that! Really the minimum spend, even second hand, is about £100. That would get you something like a Garrett 150, a good solid starter machine. So if you can save a little more money or you’ll try detecting and hate it. Below £100 and you really are in ‘toy’ territory. You don’t want to be there!

I hope that helps, even if it isn’t what you want to hear X(

And happy birthday for this week :D
XP Deus !!£$ I use the HOT programme on 17khz, reactivity at 2.5 on v5.21 with the X35 11” coil

Hammered silver 2019 - 13 x;

king of the swingers

Post by king of the swingers » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:45 pm

i agree a garrett is a good starting point. I started with the ace 250, cash convertors in shipley had 3 machines in the other week so have alook there they were about 70 ::g

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:32 pm

Hello JoLeedsSteampunk and a warm welcome aboard the forum. ::g
I agree with Oxgirl 36, your proposed budget is going to be very limiting you may be successful in securing help to locate hubby's ring via a local club should there be one but in your area.

I would suggest contacting your nearest dealer regarding a s/h machine as they usually carry quite an extensive stock of used models. Anyway whatever your intentions, Good Luck and enjoy your time with us on the MDF. Regards ss47 ::g
A disservice is no service at all.

tigerseeker

Post by tigerseeker » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:00 pm

Hi Jo and welcome to the forum.

I have an old C Scope CS4 machine (can't remember the full code) that you can have for nothing if you want to give this fantastic hobby a try.

I bought it but never used it as I was working in Birmingham and just popped in to Regtons to have a look and ended up buying my Garrett Euroace! rl; rl;

I live in Castleford so not too far away from Keighley, let me know if you want it and we can sort something out.

Oops forgot to mention that it does actually work!!

Neil
Garrett Euroace
Garrett Propointer II
Garrett Z-Lynk wireless headphones
Determination

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:58 pm

That's a really fantastic offer from tigerseeker. It's also a timely reminder that generosity such as this is a frequent occurrence on this forum. Nice one ::g Regards ss47

JoLeedsSteampunk

Post by JoLeedsSteampunk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:05 pm

Delighted to meet Neil today aka tigerseeker and he showed me how the detector works.
Explored the flower bed (after showing him a similar ring of mine which is also sterling silver).
First thing we found was a nail (hadly surprising as the conservatory was rebuilt last summer), 2nd thing we found was hubby's ring!
It initially looked like a dirty broken jubilee clip, was sat on top of the soil right at the back by the fence and the privet hedge which hubby Si had been trimming and had been missed several times that we had hunted for it since he lost it last autumn.
Been back out and only spent half an hour or less exploring the flowerbed and found a couple of lumps which I've washed and hubby has carefully picked at with pliers...
Pics to follow :)
#BittenByTheBug #NeilYou'reALegend

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Superb!
Thanks for keeping us posted
::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

Lowland

Post by Lowland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 pm

tigerseeker wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:00 pm
Hi Jo and welcome to the forum.

I have an old C Scope CS4 machine (can't remember the full code) that you can have for nothing if you want to give this fantastic hobby a try.

I bought it but never used it as I was working in Birmingham and just popped in to Regtons to have a look and ended up buying my Garrett Euroace! rl; rl;

I live in Castleford so not too far away from Keighley, let me know if you want it and we can sort something out.

Oops forgot to mention that it does actually work!!

Neil
Legend ::g ::g ::g
Shiny equinox600- taped up spade-dodgy elbow
.....................deeper bliss......................

JoLeedsSteampunk

Post by JoLeedsSteampunk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 pm

before pic

Hope I've got this right on how to upload a photo!
This was before..

JoLeedsSteampunk

Post by JoLeedsSteampunk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Right - getting the hang of this now.
This is the album showing all the pics.
http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/Jo_De ... %201/story
Hubby Si has pointed out that it's most likely part of a back boiler after the house no longer had coal fires and people tended to bury crap in the garden.
So think it's just a large bolt with a square nut but hey - it's my first find hahahaha

#GonnaExploreMoreSoon

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:06 pm

HI JoLeedsSteampunk, What a great result -=+:-P - Top job Neil ::g Regards ss47

tigerseeker

Post by tigerseeker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:45 pm

JoLeedsSteampunk wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:05 pm
Delighted to meet Neil today aka tigerseeker and he showed me how the detector works.
Explored the flower bed (after showing him a similar ring of mine which is also sterling silver).
First thing we found was a nail (hadly surprising as the conservatory was rebuilt last summer), 2nd thing we found was hubby's ring!
It initially looked like a dirty broken jubilee clip, was sat on top of the soil right at the back by the fence and the privet hedge which hubby Si had been trimming and had been missed several times that we had hunted for it since he lost it last autumn.
Been back out and only spent half an hour or less exploring the flowerbed and found a couple of lumps which I've washed and hubby has carefully picked at with pliers...
Pics to follow :)
#BittenByTheBug #NeilYou'reALegend
Hi Jo,

Pleasure to meet you and Simon today and glad we found the ring!! One word of caution it’s not usually that easy!!! Hope you continue with the hobby, I’ve got a feeling that you will ::g
Garrett Euroace
Garrett Propointer II
Determination

tigerseeker

Post by tigerseeker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:47 pm

JoLeedsSteampunk wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:31 pm
Right - getting the hang of this now.
This is the album showing all the pics.
http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/Jo_De ... %201/story
Hubby Si has pointed out that it's most likely part of a back boiler after the house no longer had coal fires and people tended to bury crap in the garden.
So think it's just a large bolt with a square nut but hey - it's my first find hahahaha

#GonnaExploreMoreSoon
Well done Jo!!
Garrett Euroace
Garrett Propointer II
Determination

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. Really good advice from Oxgirl. Good luck.

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”