Looking for a local club and advise on getting a metal detector

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Nael83

Looking for a local club and advise on getting a metal detector

Post by Nael83 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi everyone my names Nae l from peacehaven East Sussex
I am new to this but have wanted to do it for some time .
Can anyone tell me a club that's not to far away from and advise on what metal detector to buy I would like to find old coins , rings and things like that and gold that sort of thing plus finding old things is fun 😀
Also if anyone in area is selling a detector that's going to look for the bits i want feel free to let me know
Thanks for letting me join
And Thanks in advance for reading my post

Mud Max

Re: Looking for a local club and advise on getting a metal detector

Post by Mud Max » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:05 pm

Advising on detectors starts with knowing your budget?
Xp Deus 11" coil
GM5+SE

Jedi Master button finder

f8met

Post by f8met » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Good luck on finding gold. 2 pieces in 5 years for me and some have been 20+.

Hope you are willing to spend many long hours in all weathers, digging up scrap metal, lead, shotgun cartridge ends and ring pulls to maybe find a coin which is essentially a blank disc. If you are lucky you might find a silver coin worth far less than the petrol it has cost to get you there.

It is maybe more important to try to find a permission before getting a detector as that is the hardest thing you will ever do in the hobby. The rest is down hill from there.

Good luck in your endeavours and welcome to the forum and the hobby of metal detecting. Long may it last.
Dave
Deus, 9" black coil + Elliptical hf
2018 25 Hammered

Beer should be liquid bread, not coloured water

pengles

Post by pengles » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:23 am

Nael83, finding gold would be nice, but I wouldn't set your hopes too high at first. I've spent many many days wandering around fields and not found any yet. A good starter machine in my opinion would be one of the Garrett Ace range, you don't have to spend a fortune unless a) you have one, and b) until you're sure it's the hobby for you. I started with an Ace 250 after hours of looking at reviews, and wasn't disappointed. Nice uncomplicated machine. I see you live near the coast, so if you intend to do wet beaches the lower range of machines would probably not be suitable as they are not meant for those conditions. Do lots of online research and you will find the most suitable for your needs. Good luck.
XP Deus Light
GP pointer

geoman

Post by geoman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:52 am

Good luck in your venture into the hobby. However i would ditch any thoughts that may be your motivation to take up metal detecting that involve making money. It is a hobby and something to enjoy and not an expectations of a cash windfall.

Have a look at the NCMD website about the requirements for the hobby, the laws and so on.

liamnolan
Location: Hemswell, Lincolnshire. originally from Dublin, southern Ireland

Post by liamnolan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Peacehaven is a very beautiful place, my daughter lives nearby and I have been lucky enough to know a gamekeeper there who is able to get me onto an estate, was going to buy a house there but FAR too expensive :(
Some good bits of advice so far but can I ask you to post up the same questions again but under the relevant topic section, there is a list of them on the left. For instance if you are after club details in your area then all you have to do is click on that Clubs section and create your new topic. More forum members will see your questions and may be able to help. The topic title is important, so "Any clubs around Peacehaven?" will be better than "Any clubs?"
Finally, try the Search feature on the Menu, you type in a word and it will show up all posts with that word. I typed in Peacehaven and this came up search.php?keywords=Peacehaven&terms=al ... mit=Search looks like you have detecting company down there, though many will have vanished by now. To check if they are still active on the forum, click on their username and it then sows their profile and when they last logged on, plus all their posts. Good luck, Liam :;@
Deus, WSi's - In the end we will regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make .. Secretary Irish Metal Detecting Society IMDS

simon brown

Post by simon brown » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi Neal83
Welcome to the forum I live in the area there are several pay on the day clubs in the area all found on Facebook Can we dig it have digs on most weekends if it helps

Ricky p

Post by Ricky p » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:55 am

Hi
like you I was a newby to metal detecting, after going out with my brother a few times I was hooked on this hobby, I bought a Garrett300I from the shop off this site ( MDF SHOP) to your left
I did quite bit of research before hand and came to the conclusion it was the best entry level machine around.

I have not been disappointed with the machine or my finds, IE a silver sixpence plus other coins, not to mention all the other junk like ring pulls, the worst one is sheep medicine dispensers, (small squeezable aluminium dispensers) the machine goes' off like you've found gold

I also bought a Garrett pin pointer which I find excellent after I have dug the hole to pinpoint my treasure.

hope this helps you in your quest

ever the optimist

Ricky p ::g

Return to “Introduce yourself here”