Difference in metal detectors

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
Mitch5007

Difference in metal detectors

Post by Mitch5007 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:17 pm

Happy New Year all,

I have just joined and I love the site, I'm from Leeds and 46 years old, I have a question I hope I can post on here, I'm new to metal detecting and I have a Clarke MD1500, its got good reviews,I would just like to know what's the difference between the low end and high end detectors, I'm was £82 so wanted to see how I get on.

Any advise most welcome

Mitch

Blackadder43

Re: Difference in metal detectors

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi Mitch and welcome

Your machine will no doubt detect metal, but to what depth and accuracy will remain to be seen

I mean no offence when i say this but your machine will have been mass produced in a factory somewhere far away
It will not be "tuned" correctly, allthough it will as i say detect metal

See how you get on fella, but if the bug bites then look at buying your next machine from one of the detecting main stables
Good luck
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Hairyhands

Post by Hairyhands » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:00 pm

I'm a direct person. I wish you all the happiness and stick to it but an £82 detector could put you off for life. It's will be shocking

littleboot

Post by littleboot » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:44 pm

Welcome to the forum and the hobby. You are now in the right place to get all the help you need.
First of all....there are detectors and detectors....and reviews are only of real value if they are from people who really know their stuff.
I can't say I have ever heard of your machine.....and believe me if it was any good and the price you say then I would have.

Think of it like cars.....would you ask the difference between an Aston Martin and a Ford Focus and a Ford Focus and a Chinese knock off of a 1980's Vauxhall? All have wheels and an engine and there is where it ends.
You don't need an Aston to get about in comfort .....just as you don't need a top end machine to be successful at metal detecting. A Ford Focus or similar will do the job and so will a sensible mid-range machine either new or second hand.
The Chinese knock-off will be old technology and will leave you stranded on the hard shoulder. So you have, in effect, bought a detector of similar pedigree. Perhaps it was a Christmas present. In which case it has already done the job by getting you to inquire about the business end of the hobby. Now put it in the loft or have it as a back-up and get yourself another machine. You can get a perfectly sound detector for around 200 quid. There are some basic models by proper manufacturers around this price and there are some excellent second hand bargains on offer at the moment as people upgrade to newer models. (A bit like cars you see!) Buy from a reputable dealer....members can advise...or from the MDF shop ( l;/ in the blue side bar click on 'General Chat and Sell)
Have a good read .....lots of info here on models available.....well known brands with lots of provenance have machines to suit all budgets.
GMP, Tesoro Invincible, wellies.

Easylife

Post by Easylife » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:12 pm

Here's the spec's.
MD 1500.png
200mm max depth, I guess that will be on a large targets.
I saw a couple of reviews that said it found underground pipes.
I have to agree that it is not really suitable for any success. x;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nox 800
Deus V4.1, 11" coil, 9" HF coil & MI-6,
White's TDI SL
White's DFX
White's Classic III SL

Koala

Post by Koala » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:37 pm

Bury a per decimal coin or older none magnetic 2p at around 8" and see if it detected

::g

garrettoldboy

Post by garrettoldboy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:11 pm

hello, it seems more inclined for tracing underground steel pipes and buried stop tap boxes or cast iron lids as can buy in machine mart but looking at the spec and control box it has some useful controls for setting up detecting, i would make a test bed of different items silver/ copper/bit of gold/ etc and see how it goes for depth and a good responce, or try in all metal and dig everything until you can use DISC, then maybe up grade to a more suitable detector that many use on here, that need not be to expensive, look up some makes like Cscope/garret/minelab/ golden mask/ etc and see what you think suitable/price then ask question about it on here, some good used ones come on here for sale to. cheers

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”