Hello from Austria

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
klumpertseeker

Hello from Austria

Post by klumpertseeker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi there,

Who am I?
I am a female metal detecting enthusiast from Austria, married to an English man from the Black Country :-) (please excuse mistakes in spelling and word order ;-)...).

How it began
Wales is guilty. Some years ago, we visited Wales, it was winter, a strong storm had been blowing during the night and when we visited the beach in the morning, there I saw a guy metal detecting. I was interested and asked him, if he had found anything: "Yes, he replied: Some coins and a ring, which unfortunately was broken." I was infected with the metal detecting bug from the first moment on.

How it went on
When we returned to Austria, where we are living, I ordered my first metal detector (Garrett ACE 250). My husband also was interested at the beginning, but soon he saw, that it takes a lot of time and patience, to find something. He was interested in modern coins, to spend them and I was interested in the old stuff, the older, the better. Soon I was not satisfied with the Garrett any more and I bought a Whites MX 5. Not the worst but not the best machine.

Getting Permissions
In Austria Metal Detecting is not that popular as it is in the UK. To get a permission was easy for me, we're living in the country side, many farmers arround and I know many of them. They laughed, when I asked them and said: "Haha, what do you expect to find? A hidden treasure?" And gave their permissions. Soon I found out, that the region, where we live, was not very popular for the early settlers, too cold, too rough, bad soil and a jungle with many wild animals inside...

Joining other Detectorists
After having found some coins in our region, I firstly joined an Austrian Metal Detecting Forum and then I found a pair of brothers, living almost next door and joined them. Then the good life began :-). They told me a lot about finding the right place and took me with them. Soon I was not satisfied with the Whites anymore. One of the two brothers offered me his XP deus, he wanted to buy another, very expensive detector (Minelab). I bought it and am still happy with this God ;-).

Best finds so far
Amongst my best finds are a bronze spearhead, a bronze arrow head, a bronze roman bell, a bronze sickle, some parts of celtic women belts, roman and celtic fibulae/broaches, a roman bronze horse spur and a lot of local coins.

Detecting in England
This year I took the whites to England and left it there, so I can do some metal detecting, when we're over. My brother in law is living in the country side and knows many farmers, I hope, he will get permissions for me, when we return. This year, the fields were under crops, so almost no detecting was possible. The next time, we will be over, I'm also hopeing, to meet some British detectorists, maybe to go together or just to chat a bit.

I am looking forward to exciting detecting-stories at this site.

C U and taraa a bit ;-),

Eva (klumpertseeker)

If it ay bost, dow fix it ;-) - Black Country Saying

XP Deus & XP MI-6 l;.

bigjohnox

Re: Hello from Austria

Post by bigjohnox » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi Eva and welcome to the forum!
Lovely introduction, and I am pleased to find another English speaking detectorist in my general area (I live in southern Poland with my Polish wife).
We have a little difficulty here as there are many legal hoops to jump through before we can metal detect, and I am trying to decipher them.
Good luck and happy hunting!
John
Rutus Alter 71

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi and welcome to this great forum. This was probably the best introduction to the forum I have seen😁😁😁.Good luck and happy hunting. All the best from Yorkshire.

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:43 pm

Hello Eva ::g What a wonderful introduction and I have to say some very desirable finds made to date. Be sure to put some photo's on the forum once you've had time to settle in. In the blue panel
over there, you'll find forums under various headings and covering all manner of detecting related subjects which I'm sure will be of interest to you.

In the meantime, enjoy your time with us on the forum ::g Good Luck - Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

Ladybird66

Post by Ladybird66 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:23 pm

Hello and welcome to the Forum.
Great intro’ write-up and one that is very familiar to many of us. I don’t think most most of us can list so many great finds though, including myself. I have to admit not needing a detector for my oldest finds, the best of them being a Polished Neolithic Axe Head.
As you say it is a hobby that needs lots a time and patience.
Like your Husband, I came from the ‘Back Country’ to Wales on holiday, several times. Loved it so much that Hubby and I retired here nearly 20 years ago. Unfortunately not the most productive part for finds but lots of very old history.
If you’re hoping to do some detecting when you come here and you’re interested in the more recent history of the area you must visit the Black Country Museum. All open air, not like a stuffy old Museum. They do canal boat trips to the Lime Stone caverns under Dudley. You’ll find it fascinating, almost breath taking to realise they were carved out by hand.
Look forward to hearing more from you. Maybe post some pics of your finds ::g

klumpertseeker

Post by klumpertseeker » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:24 am

Hello all together,

thank you very much for the hearty welcome :-).

CU,
Eva
If it ay bost, dow fix it ;-) - Black Country Saying

XP Deus & XP MI-6 l;.

Blackadder43
Admin

Post by Blackadder43 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:30 am

What a great introduction Eva ::g
Lets hope your Brother in law gets you a permission for whan you are next here
Keep us informed
When you are right no one remembers; when you are wrong no one forgets

Magnas

Post by Magnas » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:06 am

Hello and welcome. Klumpertseeker is my new favourite word.

Dave The Slave

Post by Dave The Slave » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Great introduction, Eva.
Welcome to the Forum.
Hope you get somewhere to detect on your next visit over here.
Look forward to seeing some of your Austrian finds.
Good Luck, ::g
Dave.
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett 400 I

cantona1

Post by cantona1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:30 pm

Welcome aboard Eva, please do post some photo's of your arrow and spearheads U am sure we would all love to see them ::g

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”