Hello From The South Coast of Devon

This is not compulsory but if you would like to tell us a little about yourself then post here.
DrewAGH

Hello From The South Coast of Devon

Post by DrewAGH » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:22 am

I am a newbie to the world of metal detecting, and the first thing that I did when I decided that I would take it up as a hobby, was to go online. So that I could find out as much as possible about the subject. I also read three books, two by American authors, and one by a British authors.
I always like to buy a few books on any subject, as you get a more balanced view. To give you an example, all three books recommend buying head phones. But only one mentions, to buy a pair with volume control’s. Which I would strongly recommend to anyone they do, having tried one’s with this facility, and one's without.

After much research and consideration, and taking into account the budget, I had at my disposal. I decided to purchase a Viking VK30, which has all the function that I had decided I required, after reading all the information, and advice on the subject of choosing a detector.

All the books recommend buying a hand held pinpointer, having watched a You Tube clip where one chap told of how he had paid anywhere between £30 and £125 over the years, that he has been detecting. He found that regardless of the price that he had paid, they only lasted just over a 12 month before they died a death. I decided to go online and look for any reviews, when I came across the Saxon “easy treasure.com" website where you could buy a circuit board that would allow you to build your own. So I decided to have a go, and do that. I will be writing posting of my experiences of detecting with my VK30, and building and using my home made hand held pinpointer.

Whether you bought a budget detector, or a top of the range detector, always remember, our old friend luck and fate, will play there part, and lastly to anyone who has taken the time to read my posting, may I wish you the very best of luck, when out with your detector.

DrewAGH.

FUBAR

Re: Hello From The South Coast of Devon

Post by FUBAR » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.Enjoy.

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Welcome to the forum and this amazing (although sometimes frustrating!) hobby.

What a great first introductory post, (if only they were all of this standard).

Good to see that you have done all the required background research, including buying some books (nice to see that I am not the only person that still does so).

Using headphones helps with those faint targets that could be good small deep ones like hammered coins, and most organised digs insist on you using them. I fully agree that being able to change the volume you hear on a headset is important. However, with some machines you can adjust the volume via the machine so having this ability in the headphones is not so important, (but as a very rough guide the better quality and hence more expensive headphones have this function built in, while the cheaper ones do not).

If you have not already done so I would suggest that you join the NCMD https://www.ncmd.co.uk/ they promote and represent the hobby. Additionally for the few pounds membershipyou also get third party insurance up to £10 million, a lot of clubs and digs insist on this.

Most importantly its good to see that you know that this hobby vomes down largely to luck and fate, unlike some who seem to expect "treasure" as soon as they start.

Evan

Chris55bc

Post by Chris55bc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Hiw Drew welcome to the and best of luck to you too, l'd love to hear how you got on with your pointer project .

All the best
Chris

sweepstick47

Post by sweepstick47 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Hello DrewAGH, Welcome aboard the forum ::g You are to be congratulated on the preparations made prior to commencing your start in the hobby ::g Books are indeed an excellent source of information as they can be repeatedly referred to though you will be aware that a huge amount of hobby related information produced by experienced detectorists is just a click away being available in the forums over there in the blue panel l;/ so enjoy a good browse and by all means pose any questions resulting.

Good Luck and enjoy your time with us on the MDF ::g Regards ss47
A disservice is no service at all.

DrewAGH

Post by DrewAGH » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Hello to one and all,

I was pleasantly surprised when I logged on again to the Forum to find the replies to my "introducing my self" post, and I would like to thank these members for there warm welcome, and there kind words.

It makes one feel quite at home.

Best Wishes

DrewAGH

Return to “Introduce yourself here Forum”